• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I got my new 331 and it is installed..........

Re: I got my new 331 and it is installed..........Now a coolant leak!!!!!

Yes, but to do it correctly you'll need to remove the heads and get ALL the water jackets

:lol :lol

Dammed , doesn't look good on the vid.
Don't touch anything till your engine builder has seen it.
Watch the guy when he tackles the job.
Your engine builder has too much confidents in his work , so he begins to make mistakes.
IMHO.

"silverblueBP" said:
Yes, but to do it correctly you'll need to remove the heads and get ALL the water jackets

:lol :lol

How about if I put in in the radiator then start the engine up. Think that would cover it? I may need a couple can of it though. If it cloggs up the system I'll just use a few nitrous bottles and spry the block to keep it cool. :lol

Darreld,

I just got done watching your leak video about a dozen times. Do I see a cracked block?

Just joking, sorry couldn't resist.

What's up with the engine builder? When's he coming to look at the leak?

At first my first thought about your post is it better @#$&ing not be! LOL!

He should be here within the next hour. I went an purchased the gaskets I needed today so that I can keep him here until it is done.......... at least I hope it is done. I almost wonder if there was a washer or something that made its way on the block before or after the hg went on. It has to be something simple. When I went to visit him today to talk about the problem he was really perplexed. Maybe a gasket problem he did not catch at assembly.

Well it looks like I have a bad Boss Block!

Just kidding. The Felpro head gaskets I used have a scalloped edge and it did not fully cover some of the water passages. The water was able to drain out easily. So we pulled both heads and will put it back together on Wednesday evening with different head gaskets. Was was kind of weird is that the driver side water passages were totally dry. Any idea why this would be the case?

The left side of the car/engine is higher than the right and all your coolant leaked out of the right before the left could fill?

Air pocket caused by the hemorrhaging right gasket?

Space aliens?

Cmayna?

Perhaps it was the :nick I sprayed in there?

pics please !!

I personally don't see how you overlook this but it happened. Are the water passages on the Boss block much larger than stock or do they look the same size?

HeadGasket.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

What brand of gasket is this?
Thats a misformed gasket , i think.

I have to agree, how the heck can you miss that during assembly? I hope he is not charging you for the time involved on the problem.

"68EFIvert" said:
I personally don't see how you overlook this but it happened. Are the water passages on the Boss block much larger than stock or do they look the same size?

HeadGasket.jpg

Is that even the correct gasket? It almost seems as if it's the wrong gasket....

HTF could you NOT notice the fact that that gasket doesn't even come close to matching up with the ports on the block?

I understand that people make mistakes, it happens. That's usually why they hire a "professional". But when a professional screws up this badly there is no excuse. My biggest concern at this point is I hope that he didn't screw anything else up. If he installed this gasket..... twice.... one on each cylinder head.... WTF else did he screw up? You've got a lot of money tied up in this new engine. I'd hate to see it grenade during the cam break-in.

Last edited by a moderator:

"68EFIvert" said:
The Felpro head gaskets I used have a scalloped edge and it did not fully cover some of the water passages.

In reading this statement, who was at fault?

I will have the same concerns that you do Dave until I get the engine up and running. I feel that he likely just slapped the gaskets on and did not think about it. The gaskets are Felpro for small block fords. They are stock replacements for mid 80's HO 5.0's. The only thing I can think of is the water passages are larger with the Boss block as part of their better cooling characteristics. He is not charging me and looks like he will be picking up a new set of Felpro 1011-1 gaskets today.

I just looked at pictures of my '89 5.0 block and those passages aren't on the stock block. The gasket you show is the same outline as the one that came off my stock block.

I think you need a different gasket specific for that block.
perhaps... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6051-CP331/

Great call! I think you are right about that. I looked on summits website and the 1011's are the same shape as the one's I just took off. I really don't want MLS gaskets so it looks like I will be doing a little research this morning.

Yeah the stock blocks don't have those ports, just the triangular one above the bolt hole. This may be why he missed it, since your block deviates from the standard ford blocks. You need a special gasket for that block man.

Well I called Ford and they said that FMS gaskets listed are the same as Felpro 1156-2, MLS gaskets. I really did not want to use MLS gaskets but I may be forced to. On my last engine I used them but the block was not decked (fine for normal gaskets but did not cut it for MLS) and I had coolant seepage issues. I posted a thread on Corral.net to see what other options may be out there. We'll see what happens from here.

And ..... How is the situation with the gaskets and heads?
Any improvements?

Back