• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I got my new 331 and it is installed..........

Re: I got my new 331 and it is installed..........Now a battery drain!!

"68EFIvert" said:
The other thing is I ran the car up to almost 210 degrees and neither set of fans kicked on. I need to see what is going on with them. I did not dry test the fans before install so that is the first think I will do.

For what it's worth, I had trouble with mine initially too... On the Cobra EFI intake, I was using the port all the way in the back on the passenger side and the thermoswitch would only occasionally trip to turn the fan on. On the Cobra lower intake that chamber is a dead end and figured there was an air pocket or the that the port was just too high to keep the thermoswitch in the flow of coolant. Moving it to the thermostat housing solved that problem for me.

I took a wire directly from the battery to the + side of the fans and they came on. I noticed that the sending unit that is in the radiator seemed to come unplugged. That would explain why the first set of fans did not come on. The second set is threaded in the rear port of the passenger side. I wonder if my Trick flow intake had the same problem as yours did stangg?

I am thinking of pulling out the sensor and looking in the intake to see if I can see coolant. If not then I will plug it up and put it somewhere else. I took off my t-stat housing that had the hole for the sending unit and put one on that does not so I'll have to tie it into the intake at another spot. At this point I will either put it in the drivers rear or make a t into the port that has the coolant temp sensor for the computer. It feeds from this to the heater. No reason it should not give a reading from there.

I was able to tighten the small bolts on the meziere pump a little but I will also change to a smaller pound radiator cap to see if that will help the problem. I am getting a little closer to having this thing buttoned up. I just want to see what comes up next.

I ordered a 3mm LED yesterday so that I can hook up the wiring to the H20/methanol low fluid warning light. I am not really worried about that being hooked up yet since I won't be getting into boost for quite some time.

Well it looks like I am going to have to take the new Meziere pump apart to fix the leak. I called them today and they said to tighten the bolts if they needed to but they did not think that was the problem. They were right. I have to take the front part of the pump off and reseal it with aviation sealer which I already own. I have to drain the coolant again to do this.

The trouble shooting is getting kind of old. I wonder what will come up next?

I will trade. You can come over and finish remodeling my bathroom and I will work on your car. :ecit

Well I sealed up the pump with aviation sealer like instructed by Meziere. The damn thing leaked again. I guess they made some changes to the machining about the time my pump was made and it must be one of the ones that were done wrong. I guess I'll be taking it off today to mail to them for a replacement. The fans still did not come on either. It looks like I will review the placement of the sending units and see if that will help.

The good news is that the car runs great other than those items. I can't believe how many small things that always come up with this car. I rarely have no bugs to work out on any mods I make. :sad

We are with you in this. Keep things posted so you can ventilate your stress. :rp :rp

I taped my sensor to the radiator and it kicks in fine. I am pretty sure there is a better place but I have not addressed it yet.

I moved one of the sending units into the t-stat housing. It is the original one that kicks on at 195 degrees. I still have to look at the relay for the other fans. I may have wired it wrong, the sending unit may be bad or the relay could be bad. Not really sure how to check if the sending unit is bad but I am thinking of using a heat gun on it to see if it turns the fans on. Anyone know of a good way to check the wiring on fan relays? Maybe boil some water then put the sending unit in it?

I have the kind that threads into a water port. My radiator guy put a bung on the radiator by the lower hose that should kick the fans on at 180. I know it is submerged in coolant so that is not the problem.

I have a dial on mine so I can turn it up or down to get the cut on point. I seem to remember that it works with a 5 degree window. So it goes on at 185 and cuts off around 175.

Just ground the wire of the temp sensor( it is a NTC resistor ) and the relay should kick in.So the fan should work.

The T-stat housing is the right place to put the temp sensor.IMHO.

My relay had a wiring problem. I fixed it and now it should work fine. I just have to wait for the pump to come back from Meziere. By this time next week, with any luck, I will be rolling again.

I just made another mod to the car, or at least will when it arrives. I mailed off a check this morning to buy a set of JBA shorty headers. My car is low and with the engine lowered I have scraped the headers a couple times. It sucks and is embarresing. I will take off my Headman long tubes when I have some time but that likely won't happen for a few weeks. I want to get the bugs worked out and then deal with the exhaust.

After that mod I can't think of another thing I would want to do to the car. On second though maybe sell it and start all over again. I have a fascination for twin turbos and would love to own a classic where the turbo feeds into injector stacks. Kind of like the old webbers but EFI. Or how about a 4.6 blown cobra motor with a remote mount turbo? Too many ideas and not enough space or money.................

http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=138
http://www.mustangandfords.com/eventcoverage/mufp_0703_2006_sema_show_classic_fords/photo_28.html

About time you get that wiring mess figured out :beat Get that beast back out on the road and enjoy the darn thing. You've put too much work into it to turn around and sell it right away :craz

I have to agree. you better enjoy that beast for a while! Swapping headers does not look like a fun job on that monster!

Swapping headers is the easiest thing I have had to do to this car. The worst part about it is that I have to drop the rack to get them out of the car. It sure will be nice to have shorty's. Anyone looking for some practically new Headman headers that are ceramic coated. I had them done locally and they put two coats on the outside and one inside. They look great but my car just sits to low.

Darreld,

From all of the advice I've read/received, the rear passenger side water port is not the best place to mount your temp sensor. I used to have mine mounted back there and the readings from that port were SIGNIFICANTLY different from the port on the front drivers side of the lower intake. Something to do with water flow/circulation.... I forget exactly, but I'd move the sensor to a better location.

I've done exactly that Dave. I now have one in the thermostat housing and the other is in the radiator. Now if I could just get the water pump back from Meziere I will be ready to hit the road. :pbj

I got my new JBA headers in yesterday. They are beautiful. I just hope they clear the steering shaft for my rack and pinion. I think they will but with my luck they won't. I am waiting for some starter tubes to connect the O2 sensors before I decide to put them on. I want to see what gets here first, the starter tubes for the headers or the water pump. The water pump is still at Meziere being repaired/replaced.

To fill in the time I started making my x brace for the bottom of the car. It will tie into the back of the subframe connectors then connect to the convertible brace. I hope it will take care of some of the chassis twisting I was having before. I would have finished it but the rental place let the welder out for an extra day to the guy before me. I have as much as I can mocked up but I can't finish some of the design until I can tack weld things in place.

WTF!! Why are you renting a welder? I told you you could borrow mine. Or if you get it mocked up we could TIG weld it at my place.

"Tony R" said:
WTF!! Why are you renting a welder?

Or why don't you buy one? It's the most handy thing to have. Ever.

I do need to buy one. I never seem to want to spend the 5-700 for a welder though. It is much more fun to buy parts. Tony is going to lend me his welder while he is away for a few days. I hope to have it done by the time he gets back. I was planning on buying a welder about a year ago but he had some expensed come up that took away that money. When the new engine idea came along there went the "new" budget for a welder. Maybe I should bite the bullet on a welder when my wife's "cabinet project" is done next month.

Thanks Tony for lending me the welder! I'll see you tomorrow.

Back