• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I got my new 331 and it is installed..........

Re: I got my new 331 and it is installed..........Now a coolant leak!!!!!

Possible that the rear screw in plug is not tight.

Thanks for the extra set of eyes. I'll go out later today and check all of them. If I'm really luck I can reach them without removing anything.

Well it isn't leaking from the plugs. They seem to be fine. It appears that problem is larger than that. I leaks like crazy between the block and head. WTF! Did he forget to put a head gasket on or not torque the heads down. Both the heads and block are new. the head was milled to get the correct compression and the block was decked to the correct height before it even cam to my engine guy.

That sucks, drain your oil, it might be full of water and i wouldn't want it sitting in there on the internals if it were me. Hope there is a gasket there, but either way, it sounds like that head has to come off to me. Whens your engine guy coming over?

It leaks like crazy between the block and head.

The bad news..... you'll have to disassemble the top end to figure out the problem.

The good news..... after the leak you had with your last engine you now should be able the R&R the heads blind-folded.

Sorry to hear of the problems Darreld.

A leak that big has got to mean something stupid went wrong. I'd like to hear what the engine builder has to say.

Doug

That Sucks! I'm curious about coolant in the oil pan as well, sounds like a doofus for the builder, hoping it's simple!

could he have put the gasket on back wards. I think it was my chevy I put it on back wards and it leaked like that. Sorry to hear about the bad luck.

I'll go out there tonight and drain the oil. I may start pulling the blower off the engine as well as the upper intake. I don't want to touch anything the builder put together until I hear from him. I don't want to void any warranties. I want him to pull the heads and see what happened. I'll be right there to watch.

This is so typical of everything with this car. Nothing goes right the first time. On the last engine I used MLS gaskets and had seepage issues and head studs that I did not seal well. Now this. I sure hope that it is a simple problem of a head gasket installed incorrectly. I really don't want to have to pull the entire engine.

Putting the leak issue aside, I question why, since you live in Washington state, do you think you need such an elaborate cooling system? I mean how the hell can a 331 put off such heat to justify such a setup?

We can get pretty warm here in the summer. Last summer there was a record 6 days in a row (IIRC) that were 100 or hotter. I guess my last radiator was a little weak with my setup and seemed always to run a little hot. This new setup is totally overkill. I am running an electric water pump so that I will have constant flow at any RPM and a much better radiator. Also remember that my radiator ran me about the same price as a Griffin and a Contour fan would have.

Well I am getting pretty good at taking this thing apart. It took me about an hour to remove the blower and all parts of it, ps header, drain the oil, upper intake, all wiring, remove the t-stat housing, disconnect radiator hoses (thank god I put AN fittings on for those) all in less than an hour. Basically I tore it down to the point where I picked it up from the builder. I will wait for him to do the rest. I'd like him here for that.

I can see that the head gasket was on and there was no water in the oil. The head gasket looks to be on in the same way as the drivers side but I won't know for sure until the head comes off. So is is normal for the customer or the builder to pay for gaskets on this type of thing? I really don't want to pay for crap that I don't have to. I figure I will spend a good $100 on gaskets for this mistake. Should I reuse a felpro 1415 exhaust gasket or just put a new one on. It has never gone through a heat cycle but I assume I should just replace.

around which cyl did you see the coolant leaking?

It is kind of hard to tell but it looks like around the center to the back. The coolant seems to come down the most in the middle but there is quite a lot above the starter as well.

just a thought, any chance it's from an AN fitting for the heater core?

No, they are still dry. I went out and took a video of the leak. It is leaking from above the back bolt of the motor mount and the rear of the engine. It seems to be the worst above the starter area. I'll try to post the link after youtube gets me set up.

Leak video.AVI

Looks like the head is not torqued. Or a incorrect/mis-installed gasket.

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about your engine woes. I sure hope the engine builder stands behind his work.

"Sluggo" said:
Looks like the head is not torqued. Or a incorrect/mis-installed gasket.

Ditto that, when's the builder coming to look at it?

I'd say if it's anything the builder did, he pays all the costs to fix it (unless it's a buddy who did it for free).

I haven't heard from him yet. I left a message about 6 Friday evening and another yesterday afternoon. I assume he is gone for the weekend. He is a member of my local mustang club so I am sure he will treat me right. It was by no means a free job so I will expect him to cover the cost of the mistake. I am out the time but I am used to doing things 2-3 times so it really doesn't matter that much. Oh well, life goes on but not always the way we want it to.

I was just thinking of using some Great Stuff on my leak........ Do you think it would work? :nick

Back