• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rapid Rabbit's 70 Stang

RapidRabbit

Donator
I have been told I should start a build thread so here goes. It will be slow because I work during the winters and drive it during the summers. I didn't take a lot of pictures early on as I replaced things.

I bought my car in 2004 from a local seller for $5800. It is a driver at best. I had been looking for a 69/70 convertible for many years. I almost didn't buy it because it looked like something Grandma would drive to church on Sundays.

Here is what it looked like when I bought it.
DSC01940.jpg

I drove it as is for the summer, then during the winter I replaced the sagging rear leaf springs, most of the exterior chrome, and painted the engine (I know, wrong color) and bay. Forgot to take some before pictures.
DSC02462.jpg

DSC02480.jpg

The next thing to go were the whitewalls. I bought some Appliance wheels off Ebay and put BFG's on them. And added the hood scoop.
DSC03144.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Me like-E.

The scoop and wheels made such a big difference. Glad to hear you enjoy it and work on it, LUCKY.

"abrahamfh" said:
Me like-E.

The scoop and wheels made such a big difference. Glad to hear you enjoy it and work on it, LUCKY.

Thanks Abe.
I didn't want a massive basket case, because i knew it would be too much for me.

In 2006 I apparently was watching to much Overhaulin' and decided a different look was in order.
So I ordered a set of 17" foose wheels and swap to a more modern restomod look. I also added the lower stripes because I felt the car looked to long and I thought it would help.
DSC00691.jpg

The winter project for 2006 was to upgrade the front drums to disc.
I decided to do the Granada front disc swap and then the while I'm at syndrome kicked in.
All new front and rear brake lines added a proportioning valve for the rear.
All the rear drum hardware was replaced and new shoes and drums.
I ended up replacing the entire front suspension with Grab a Track components.
I did the upper and lower control arms, 1" sway bar Poly bushings, new spring perches and 620 1" drop springs.
and also did the Shelby/Arning drop.
DSC00638.jpg

The winter of 2009 was for Steering work. I picked up a new flaming river steering box and all the tie rods were replaced along with adding a set of opentracker roller perches and roller idler arm.
DSC00568.jpg

Summer of 2010 I ran across a deal on an 88 5.0 efi motor and AOD.
So I picked that up and that has become this winters project.
DSC00990.jpg

DSC01003.jpg

Spring of 2010 brought a surprise for us. Our little girl Alaina. Which slows things down for me to get time to work on the car.
So progress has been a little slow.
December I got some garage time and pulled the radiator and all the engine accessories.
IMAG0225.jpg

In february I was able to pull the motor and found out it was the original engine and trans. Maybe 5.0 wasn't the best idea?
IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

Today I got my radiator.
IMAG0274.jpg

Thanks. Hopefully I can get the engine done by Mid may.

Then its time for body work. Gonna need to learn to weld next .

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

"RapidRabbit" said:
Then its time for body work. Gonna need to learn to weld next .

I hear Opentracker Racing travels and leaves machines behind.......

Re: Re: Rapid Rabbit's 70 Stang

"AzPete" said:
I hear Opentracker Racing travels and leaves machines behind.......
Maybe I need to go see him.
I was thinking I need a vacation. California is sounding pretty nice right now.

Re: Re: Rapid Rabbit's 70 Stang

"S8NS 289" said:
just drive that beautiful 70 up north if you need help-We have a good welder! :pbj

I could bring it for a nice drive through the northwoods.

Well no engine installed yesterday.
Woke up to thunderstorm and rain, which turned to sleet. So my friend that was supposed to come help me was driving down from up north and it was snowing and sleeting so he didn't end up coming. Now we are not able to get the engine in until the 17th. Damn Wisconsin weather!

Does this area need some kind seam seeler or something? I was doing some more clean up on the engine bay instead of getting my engine in yesterday, and all the paint and what seemed like something that was rubber once upon a time, was flaking off.

On the 65/66 there are some areas under the hood where I have found some of the more flexible material filling gaps down around the areas where the firewall meets frame rails, etc.

I can't seem to get tapatalk to load the picture. It keeps force closing.

It's the little lip where the firewall and the cowl come together near the bolts for the strut tower braces.

Yes, that is another area where there is some kind of apparent seam sealer. Do you have the Ford body assembly manual for your car? I can go out to the garage and get mine (65) to see what material was used. I'm sure other years would be the same. stay tuned...

OK, it's actually in what is called the Weld & Sealant Assembly Manual (go figure!). Looks like the standard seam sealer although like in most other areas, if the gap(s) are too large it states you can also use the thicker gray/black stuff to fill the voids.

Back