• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rapid Rabbit's 70 Stang

Thanks Jake.
This is probably the slowest and most boring build thread on here.

And I'm beginning to think its never going to be summer here. It was 35 and snowing today. WTH.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

Most boring thread? Nahhh. Anytime your workin' on the car is cool!

Dunno where I've been asleep at, but I never realized you were doing an EFI swap! Since I'm doing the same with the '66 I'll be watching more closely! BTW, it's no longer on their site, but awhile back TCCN (The Classic Cougar Network), had a series of articles detailing an EFI swap into a '69 Cougar. It has since disappeared but I saved all the pages. I'll look back through them and see if there's any ideas for the computer mounting that my help you out (if you haven't decided already), since there's some similarities with your car. Keep up the good work, the ride looks sweet! :thu

Thanks ponyman. It's taking forever for me to make any progress. I think I'm going to make a bracket and mount the computer above the glovebox .

I've been watching your thread closely . You may have your car done before me.

Lookin Good!! you'll be drivin it before you know it :steer It's hard to work when its 30 degrees and snowing still :wtf :rant

"RapidRabbit" said:
That is not my first choice either. I don't ever run the heat in my car.
The heater box takes up the entire area behind the glove box so it won't fit back there.

Have you considered removing the heating unit then? Seems like you'd have plenty of room and wouldn't miss the heater.

I was considering removing the heater. I usually put the top down in the spring and it stays down until fall.

Another slow bit of progress. :shrug
I got the engine computer mounted. I may redo it though, not sure I like the way it turned out.
I figured since the panel above the glove comes out very easily I could access it better above the glove box.
I made a plate to mount it to. I do still need to run the harness in through the firewall.
I didn't want to drill holes in the underside of the cowl as I was afraid it may leak water into the car?
so I mounted it to the bracket for the heater box.

DSC00125.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

I did a test fit on the radiator and hoses. The lower hose fits fine. the upper hose is off.
I am thinking I will cut it and install a filter in the middle to shorten it up.
I can't decide if I like the shiny radiator look. everything else is black and it stands out to much. I may have to paint it.

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00130.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I tried to get some work done wednesday. I took a vacation day.

I got the alternator installed and moved on to the power steering pump and thats where it went south.
The original bracket on the PS pump is the wrong one. It won't bolt up with the PS relocation brackets I got. :rant
So Craig(Tarafied1) has one he's sending me when he gets back from Suadi. Thanks :beer
DSC00136.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

I also decided to scrap the speed density and original harness. Too much mess and not the ideal system anyway.
So I am upgrading to mass air now and ordering a new ECM and the RJM EFI harness for an easier install.
Thanks to everyone who was helping work out the details and offering up parts on that last night.

Oh, and I forgot to mention I found this nightmare when I removed my battery tray.
DSC00135.jpg

Now I have to find someone to help me fix this. :roul

Re: Re: Rapid Rabbit's 70 Stang

"abrahamfh" said:
Two thumbs up! Sounds good to me.
sounds like a plan. lol
now that winter is finally over its not so bad up here in the sticks. we can get the boat out too.

"RapidRabbit" said:
sounds like a plan. lol
now that winter is finally over its not so bad up here in the sticks. we can get the boat out too.

Boat? Mark will be right there for another failed wake boarding stunt. LoL.

Some of my back ordered parts are starting to come in finally.
I got my RMP AOD trans crossmember yesterday. Went out to the garage after dinner and put it in. :yah
My RJM harness is coming today. I am hoping to get that installed on Friday.

DSC00155.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

should I be concerned that the bolts are all they way to one end?
DSC00156.jpg

Regarding your concerns about where the rubber mount is lining up on the support, I have one question, are the motor mounts swapped? There is a specific left and right. You CAN swap them around AND the engine/tranny WILL sit down in the compartment. If they're swapped it will move the everything forward. That would change where the tranny mount lines up on the crossmember.

At the risk of public embarrassment, I admit that I found out when I originally dropped in my EFI 5.0 and AOD. I wanted to check a few things for fit and then measure to fab my tranny mount. I was thrilled at the space I had from the back of the engine to the firewall. When I climbed under the car something just didn't seem right. I did some double checking and lifted the engine up, removed the mounts and checked them. Dooooooh! :roul Ford conveniently stamped the right mount with a big "R". Unfortunately, if you don't both to check, it doesn't matter! :char When I put them back in properly and dropped in back in, it moved the engine back towards the firewall into it's proper position, and subsequently the tranny (and it's mount)! :roll

With all that said, if you're SURE the engine mounts are on their proper sides, IMHO, I wouldn't sweat it!

I think that was only on the earlier cars. When I look at my mounts the are exactly the same. And when I tried them on the opposite sides they were not gong to fit. But i will have to check into it.

Maybe I need to look into adjustable mounts?

Pat I just did a little more digging through my reference stuff and may have the answer...MAY. First, if the motor mounts aren't being forced one way or the other (basically in a "neutral" state), I wouldn't sweat what you have. It's been a long time since I've worked on anything later than a '66 (sold my '68 in the late 80's....been MUCH longer yet since I've looked at a bare engine bay on a '69/70!). Just throwin' out a few thoughts. Glad it didn't matter and I apologize if you went through any extra effort.

Okay...on to what I found. I have the RMP website bookmarked and have referred to it frequently in the past. Matter of fact, I had considered their AOD mount and then changed my mind. I looked back at it again, focusing on their 67-73 mount. I noticed that it's listed for an AOD (and several manuals too), but no mention of an AODE. If I were selling something like this, I'd design it for as many applications as possible. They list no separate AODE mount...anywhere! Going on an assumption you could use it for an AODE also I checked some mount location dimensions I have for the AOD and the AODE. The mount location is exactly 1" further back than an AOD. As such, if the same mount as yours was used for an AODE installation, the bolts would line up almost dead center of the mounting slots! That would also POSSIBLY explain why yours are all the way forward. I don't have mount locations for the manual trans that RMP lists for the mount so a further comparison isn't possible by me. Again, I'd go with and not sweat it. Aesthetically it could be more centered, but structurally I don't see where it would cause any problems. Just throwin' out another possible answer! Keep us all updated!

p.s. Glad to read you got your 'puter situation worked out! :thu

No worries. I didn't take the engine back out or anything. I tried to flip the mounts before the engine went in.
I didn't see any R or L markings on the mounts, so I tried them both ways and they would only fit one way.

I did have a hell of time getting the mounts to line up for the bolts when I put the engine in.
So maybe the are a little off. I think I will try to loosen all the bolts and see if anything moves.

I guess I am not to worried about it. tried doing some online searches and came up empty.

Thanks for all your help. :beer

Back