• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New Project! 1968 Volvo P1800 "Bullwinkle"

They do neutralize it after dipping but it still may have some left in pinch welds. The other downside is trying to get sealer or primer in tight to reach areas.

I haven't heard anything about ice blasting. That would be interesting and I'll have to do a little research. I wonder if anyone in the Portland, OR area does it? HMMM.

There's always the use of razor blades and then a grinding flap on the bondo that you see. Probably the least disruptive method.

I got the suspension tonight. Check ou those brakes! They are freaking huge!!! The rears will be the same size, 14". I think it will stop pretty well.
a6a3uny9.jpg

ju6ataje.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this model with the pre-70 juke box dash and classic look. The messed up in the 70's really lost the character of the car IMHO. Question I was looking at buying one myself a few months bacl until I tried to sit in one and my head actually hit the roof while in a seated driving position. I am 5'11" do you have any problems or was something setup wrong in the car I was taking for a test drive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am 6 ft and did not have that problem. I have to say that the interior as out of the car and I put the trashed stock seat in place. It sagged so much my ass was on the floor pan. :)

That tubbed 1800 would be a beast I bet!

I have the rear suspension in. I welded the panhard bar tonight. My next step is to take it back out and have it blasted.

After that I need to decide if I want to mini tub the car or not. I am leaning towards doing it. As it is I can fit on a 245 tire and with a mini tub and slight bulging of the fenders I should be able to fit a 275 or 285 tire.
utegeda3.jpg

yqape2ud.jpg

sata3aba.jpg

I still am waiting for my rear 14" 4 piston Wilwood brakes. They have been on back order for a few weeks and should be ready in the next week. When they arrive I can start measuring for wheel width and back spacing. Of course this is where the mini Tub decision has to made.

Never liked Volvos BUT I like that one. I'd think soda blasting would serve you good. I always liked to remove as much of the old paint with stripper before any blasting. Saves a lot of media and shortens the mask time.

I narrowed the rear end but the rear 4 link was a kit that is new. As far as I know I may be the first person to be using it. I looked at fabing my own but the cost was almost identical to buying the kit. I had to wait a while for the kit so the guy threw in double adjustable shocks. That put me ahead if the game.

My fab work starts from here. I need to put in a new firewall as well as trans tunnel from firewall to trunk. I also need to fab up some SFC's. I am about 90% sure I will mini tub the car.

I need to redo my fuel tank as well. I had it dipped and it came back looking like Swiss cheese. The bottoms looks decent but the top is shot. I am thinking of cutting the top out and adding a tank inc fuel pump in a new top.

I am at the point where I have some large expenses coming up. I don't have the funds to spend out of the family budget for all at once so I will have to break it up over the new 6 months or so. The engine and tranny will be $13k, tires and wheels will be about $4k plus all the misc items to make it a car. My wife did buy me an American Auto Wire harness for my bday last week. Score!!

Not much to update this week. I welded on the panhard bar and that is about it. I have an appointent scheduled for Thursday to get the car blasted. I will then take it to get epoxy primed. I hope to be able to take it home next Friday afternoon or Saturday.

I will take the suspension back off this weekend, remove the doors, deck lid and inner fender shields. I am a little scared to see what it is going to look like. I can tell the passenger front and rear fenders have had major repairs that needed new metal. There are lap joints that give that away. I anticipate the rest of the car to have a fairly large amount of Bondo. I really hope I am wrong.

Sandblasted the car and it is on the way to the body shop for some epoxy primer. Rust wasn't bad but the old bodywork was.
vygabuqe.jpg

gudyvuna.jpg

ju3etuqu.jpg

I don't think he knew the difference between an ice pick and a body hammer. The rear fenders will have to be reworked to raise the wheel arch so I hope they can be saved. A new quarter panel will run me about $1500 each since they have to be shipped from Europe.

A good dolly/hammer and a lot of time can make that look almost good.

or get an English wheel and make your own patches... Was the car rear ended? It seems odd both sides have the same damage.

Back