• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New Project! 1968 Volvo P1800 "Bullwinkle"

Incorrect bearing size in the box? Seen that before. Still need to check everything, I don''t trust the box label anymore.

That is what I am starting think. Would have thought they would have picked that up during assembly though. The guy assembling mush have not checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I am starting think. Would have thought they would have picked that up during assembly though. The guy assembling mush have not checked.

I’m not an engine builder, but those are the things an assembler would check I would think. Not sure how you could assemble it and not notice.

But what person (professional no less!) assembles a rotating assembly and doesn't verify clearances? I get that an error in shipping or even packaging could have provided an incorrect bearing size but it's still 101 to install and measure clearances on everything. More telling is that it would seem clearances were clearly not the same on some rod journals compared to others. That and the strange wear on some of the mains would tell me the machining (or likely lack thereof) was done poorly. I'd bet no line bore and the rods were not sized. Hell, for all we know the crank wasn't worked either. Even (especially) a new crank needs to be checked.

The only good thing here is it was discovered at this stage and not when the car was "done" and put on the road.

Back