• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wipers! stopped

I ordered the motor from NPD.

Now for some tool suggestions.

The bolt to remove the motor are 7/16. Two I get to and remove easily enough with thumb ratchet and socket.
The third, nearest, is too close to the wiper arm mechanism to get a ratchet in there...even a box end type.
A open end just gets in there but moving it is barely a MM at a time...when I can get the wrench on it. Scraping knuckles getting back there.

Any tool suggestions? tricks?

Yeah I've looked at a couple of their vids. Nothing directly concerning taking the motor out.
And their comedy gets real old.

I searched U toob and found one title on how to change the wiper motor on ANY Mustang. There the kid says on my SN95.....that's all I need to hear.

OK...update

I removed the top 2 bolts holding the motor bracket. Gave me a little more room to work but didn't make any room on that top bolt on motor.
I removed the 2 lower motor bolts. The top bolt I could get finger tips on to turn. Motor is released...but not out.

Removed large nut holding wiper mech to motor shaft.

This is now my problem. The wiper mech arm will not release from the motor shaft.

How is this connected? The motor is now hanging from this shaft and the mech arm. I tried prying it off...nope.

Mike
Screw back on the nut because you have to loose the J-clip retainer instead.
The position of the arm on the motor is very critical. Its has only one position on the motor axle that is right.!!!!
By removing the J-clip retainer you can dissamble the wiper arm one at the time .
You can remove the J-clip with a screwdriver by pulling a bit and slide it off to one side.

Attachments

• J-CLIP.jpg
    J-CLIP.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 4
Mike

To work on a wiper system you have to do it in these steps.
1 - disconnect the connector from the wipermotor from the wiringharness.
2 - disconnect the wiper control arms from the lever by removing the pivot linkage clip or J-clip as I call them.
3 - unbolt wipermotor
to mount the wipermotor
1 - connect the wipermotor to the wiringharness.
2 - operated the motor by it switch and look if the new motor stops at the same position.
BE CARREFUL NOT TO PUT YOUR FINGERS BETWEEN THE MOTOR AND ITS LEVER !!!!
Now you know if it works and you know its neutral position.
Be sure it is in its neutral position when you disconnect the wipermotors connector prior assembling.
3 - Mount the motor to its bracket.
4 - Mount the controlarms back to the lever and put back the j-clip .
5 - Connect back to the wiring harness.
TEST.

Last edited:
OK the part I didn't know was that the 3 inch arm attached to the motor shaft does NOT just pop off.
I found the "J" clip on the rotating shaft and popped it off. Then I wiggled the motor out of the mount bracket.
Success.....getting out anyway.

When I get the new motor I'll check the position of the 'key'

Getting the keyed 3 inch arm off the old motor may be the next hurdle.

When I get the new motor I'll check the position of the 'key'
Getting the keyed 3 inch arm off the old motor may be the next hurdle.

Its seems the lever on the motor has a rectangular slot.
So it can be mounted in 2 positions !! Just 1 is the right way to go.
I think a few taps sideways on the lever will loose the lever , I guess.
When assembling the motor watch out for that groundstrip having good contact with the bracket.

Crusty Frank did sent you a link with good pictures :p
Here is it again.

The wiper control arms have different holes.
The one with the larger hole goes first when assembling.
Just check the position of the lever to the bracket with the pics on Crusty's link !! :D

Last edited:
Read the link. Thanks Frank.
Passenger side arm is on top when I reassemble.
That keyed arm is really really really stuck on the old motor. I put some PB Blaster on it and let it sit overnight. Haven't tried today yet.

Next is getting the wiring correct....hope the new motor has the same color wires.

You can't rotate the "key arm" as it is driven by a worm gear. That makes it very strong gear.

got the key arm off.

Went looking for a "J" clip at the auto parts (wrongly named) stores...ORielly & AutoZone. Of course all they want to do is look on their computers. Found the wiper motor or wiper blades.
I did find a box of assorted "J" clips....tried them all and none would actually clip on.
Then went to hardware store and bought 2 "E" clips that fit. Should work I guess.

Came back home and searched all under the dash with extended magnet trying to find the clip that sprang off. Nothing.

Anyone have one laying around?

Last edited:
Back