• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Street or Track billet firewall piece

Sluggo

I just received my billet firewall piece for the strut tower braces I ordered from Shaun.

To be honest with you, I thought to myself....how in the hell can this part be worth a hundred bucks?

Well, now I know. It's damn near too nice to put on the car!

In end times, when there is no more gasoline, it will make one hell of a weapon too. :craz

Awesome work Shaun! Thanks.

Thanks Sluggo!

Some pics from our site:

export-brace2.jpg

export-brace.jpg

Site linky - http://www.streetortrack.com/product.php?productid=24452

Last edited by a moderator:
"Mod9" said:
Sluggo contact Shaun on your brace. There is a problem with them bolting on a 69. I emailed him on one I bought and he is going to check into it. Just wanted to let you know before you take your car apart and it does not work.

Shaun emailed me as soon as he found out about yours. My engine is out for a while so I have plenty of time to see what needs to be done.

Good to see you posting! Hope all is well for you.

"Mod9" said:
Things are going Ok. I am in my last semester of school. Have not been doing much. Don't know if you know it but I sold my 69 last fall. Using money to fund a new project. I am restoring the 69 Mach 1 I had in high school.

I knew you were contemplating selling it. When you disappeared I figured you pulled the trigger on it. I'm glad you have a project to take it's place.

That decision had to be tough on your ego.

Good to have you back! :pbj

Pretty straight forward solution on my car.

I only had an issue way far right. I just massaged the bump in the firewall a bit and it fit right in. I have to weld that hole for the vacuum lines shut anyway, so I can pretty up my hammer marks while I'm doing that.

It can be solved without beating up the firewall pretty easy. Flattening the corner of the piece or maybe a 3/8ths channel across the bottom would fix it.

"Mod9" said:
Things are going Ok. I am in my last semester of school. Have not been doing much. Don't know if you know it but I sold my 69 last fall. Using money to fund a new project. I am restoring the 69 Mach 1 I had in high school.

Glad to see you back as well! Sorry to hear of the sale - but glad to hear of the new project. Start a build thread so we can follow along with you.

I just put the Shaun pieces on my car and I am totally pissed!!
If you're like me and are a real poser and put tall-ass-FE valvecovers on your 351 with billet adapters, then you're going to have clearance issues with the PCV valve.
:cry
I'm just kidding.....a short spacer and a taller bolt at the shock tower fixed the problem.

I'm with Sluggo....these things are BEAUTIFUL!
Best dress-up + functional addition to the engine compartment yet :10

"joesgt281" said:
I just put the Shaun pieces on my car and I am totally pissed!!
If you're like me and are a real poser and put tall-ass-FE valvecovers on your 351 with billet adapters, then you're going to have clearance issues with the PCV valve.

Need to see pics of those valve covers and brace installed.

Ok, I'll give you some pics, but feel free to come by Sunday or Monday...just give a shout to make sure I'm not on a shakedown run.

Hate to burst your bubble, but that spacer will render your brace virtually useless. It will flex like crazy. You need to look for another solution (relocate your PCV valve, use shorter covers, etc.).

Thanks for bringing that up.
There is a significant bending moment on that bolt due to the increase in the vector distance over the original design.
To the extent that the bolt does not yield, the vector force from the shock tower is still being transferred into the firewall.
Bolts are designed to be strongest in tensile, not shear loads, so the sleeve is there not only as a spacer, but to transmit reactive forces into the shock tower plate.
All the engineering assumptions aside, maybe it will work and maybe it won't.

I guess you couldnt mount the firewall piece above the seam rather than below it I doubt hood would close. I'll see if I have a picture of my PCV, it seems a lot lower than yours.

index.php

"joesgt281" said:
Ok, I'll give you some pics, but feel free to come by Sunday or Monday...just give a shout to make sure I'm not on a shakedown run.

What year is that? How did it fit?

Back