• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rivian Drive

Last year my wife spotted a Lucid on hwy101. The tech is great on these cars.

When they make an electric truck that will tow my loaded trailer 700 miles without stopping to re-charge, that’s the day when I just might consider one. Until that day…Get off my weeds.

Mark
You forgot one other issue, recharging. How many hours do you have to fill up (charge up). Maybe a system where all battery storage is the same and simply swap out the battery pack. Maybe in 30 years or so.

fd

You forgot one other issue, recharging. How many hours do you have to fill up (charge up). Maybe a system where all battery storage is the same and simply swap out the battery pack. Maybe in 30 years or so.

fd
Charging doesn't take all that much time with the latest stuff. Of course, that time is after you actually get to plug in. If using a commercial/public charging port you may be third or fourth or tenth in line. You can multiply the actual charge time by your place in line +1 at that point. Drive a couple hours, pull over to recharge, find yourself third in line and find out you'll spend the next two-three hours waiting/charging. I'll pass.

Every town has hay, feed and water. Now try and find that new thing called gasoline. That stuff is dangerous. Ol'Bessie is just fine for me.

Every town has hay, feed and water. Now try and find that new thing called gasoline. That stuff is dangerous. Ol'Bessie is just fine for me.
You're missing my point, I guess. It's not that I'm opposed to innovation and "progress". It's that having hidden political forces manipulate and coerce the environment (yep, pun) to make it happen about which I am writing. The shift from horses to automobiles in this country occurred because one Henry Ford made it possible for the common man to afford to take that next step in transportation. In doing so he also gave MILLIONS of them jobs or in other ways provided them income as well which they used to buy those vehicles. Capitalist innovation (risk) driven by a market demand made that happen. There is no ground swell, burgeoning consumer demand for electrics. Yes, there is a small share of buyers who want it now but that is all because of the false premises pushed by those disguised forces. Driving an EV will not save the planet. Not today. Not in the eminent future. That electricity you use comes from somewhere, you know. The land is "raped" to make that battery, remember. That free "government cash" handout to reward your following instructions and buying that EV is OUR TAXPAYER MONEY. Your government is taking your money to make something their political lobbyists want to happen. The vast majority of Americans did not sign up or agree to that action. Did not want to be so political in this response but I think it important no one miss what is behind it all.

We have 3000kms between west/ east coast with absolutely nothing in between. Its also a much travelled route by the frieght guys and families holidaying. Not practical for Aussies. We don't have extension cords long enough.

I do wonder though given the volts/ amps/ residual energy generated by the EV's are we going to be permitted to work on them? And aside from the price of replacement batteries what do you think spares would cost?

Common sense will prevail. People aren't going to spend good money on something that don't work for them.

No problem using them in town though.

Last edited:
We have 3000kms between west/ east coast with absolutely nothing in between. Its also a much travelled route by the frieght guys and families holidayi g. Not practical for Aussies. We don't have extension cords long enough.

I do wonder though given the volts/ amps/ residual energy generated by the EV's are we going to be permitted to work on them? And aside from the price of replacement batteries what do you think spares would cost?

Common sense will prevail. People aren't going to spend good money on something that don't work for them.

Common sense has been thrown out the window in California. Our governor has mandated that there will be only zero emission cars/light trucks sold in the state by 2035. Sure it is still 13 years away, but we have mountains to tackle in battery technology before that time. Add to the problem that need to start building charging infrastructure as well as electrical generation facilities now if we have even a chance of meeting his magical date. I am not against electric cars, heck I have been considering one to replace the wife's daily driver as it rarely leaves town. Unfortunately they don't make one with enough range, and a good enough price range to replace my work SUV so I will be driving a ICE vehicle for a few more years.

Now let's talk the previously mentioned infrastructure/electrical generating issues. California Air Resources Board, an autonomous state agency, has taken the governor's mandate beyond what he even meant. He stated that all off road vehicles would need to meet his 2035 mandate as well, as long as it was practically possible. CARB seemed to have ignored the latter part of the statement and has issued proposed rule making against the railroad and ship industry, with eyes on the airline industry as well. In my industry, the railroads, they have mandated we move to zero emission locomotives by 2030. The problem is, they don't exist currently. I am building the first of its kind hydrogen powered, switching locomotive but it is a demonstration unit to see if hydrogen can replace the work output of diesel powered units in local plant switching operations. My loco won't be up and running until the latter part of 2023. GE is playing around with battery powered units, but batteries are still too big and don't have enough power density to replace the diesel motor. GE estimates it will be at least 10 years before we see battery density enough to put in a switching locomotive, maybe 20 years before density will be at a level to supplement long haul locomotive needs. The one GE test mule locomotive has 1 megawatt of battery capacity on board (no more room for additional batteries), it is estimated they will need between 20-30 megawatts for the long runs. It takes about 8 times the power of the battery to charge it in a reasonable amount of time, so the current unit takes 8 megawatts and the future one will take 240 megawatts to charge. Note a typical small town uses about 20 megawatts.

So now that I have bored you all to death, please tell me where we are going to find all this needed electricity to power cars/trucks/locomotives/ships?

We have 3000kms between west/ east coast with absolutely nothing in between. Its also a much travelled route by the frieght guys and families holidayi g. Not practical for Aussies. We don't have extension cords long enough.

As another Aussie, i see it differently. My work is for the state electricity boards in Queensland & New South Wales. I spend a lot of time on Transmission Line Tracks and an even longer period of time on remote highways and back roads. Its nothing for me to drive 10 hours from the Sunshine Coast to Moranbah to a Coal Mine, be onsite for 4 hours, then drive home. My vehicle of choice has always been the Toyota Hilux and my current Fortuner is Hilux number 10 for me. I dont want full electric, but what i would love is a Hybrid. Toyota tells me "maybe 2025", but i cant wait. We have the Ëlectric Superhighway" in QLD which is enough charging stations on the coast road to go from the Gold Coast to Cairns, which is 1800km. Western routes are being added, but only on the main highways, so EV only is going to stay very limited outside of town use. Gimme a Hybrid 4WD and i will be as happy as a dog with 2 tails.

Common sense has been thrown out the window in California. Our governor has mandated that there will be only zero emission cars/light trucks sold in the state by 2035. Sure it is still 13 years away, but we have mountains to tackle in battery technology before that time. Add to the problem that need to start building charging infrastructure as well as electrical generation facilities now if we have even a chance of meeting his magical date. I am not against electric cars, heck I have been considering one to replace the wife's daily driver as it rarely leaves town. Unfortunately they don't make one with enough range, and a good enough price range to replace my work SUV so I will be driving a ICE vehicle for a few more years.

Now let's talk the previously mentioned infrastructure/electrical generating issues. California Air Resources Board, an autonomous state agency, has taken the governor's mandate beyond what he even meant. He stated that all off road vehicles would need to meet his 2035 mandate as well, as long as it was practically possible. CARB seemed to have ignored the latter part of the statement and has issued proposed rule making against the railroad and ship industry, with eyes on the airline industry as well. In my industry, the railroads, they have mandated we move to zero emission locomotives by 2030. The problem is, they don't exist currently. I am building the first of its kind hydrogen powered, switching locomotive but it is a demonstration unit to see if hydrogen can replace the work output of diesel powered units in local plant switching operations. My loco won't be up and running until the latter part of 2023. GE is playing around with battery powered units, but batteries are still too big and don't have enough power density to replace the diesel motor. GE estimates it will be at least 10 years before we see battery density enough to put in a switching locomotive, maybe 20 years before density will be at a level to supplement long haul locomotive needs. The one GE test mule locomotive has 1 megawatt of battery capacity on board (no more room for additional batteries), it is estimated they will need between 20-30 megawatts for the long runs. It takes about 8 times the power of the battery to charge it in a reasonable amount of time, so the current unit takes 8 megawatts and the future one will take 240 megawatts to charge. Note a typical small town uses about 20 megawatts.

So now that I have bored you all to death, please tell me where we are going to find all this needed electricity to power cars/trucks/locomotives/ships?
Due to the lack of roads in the interior, its actaully 5000 kms to drive across OZ from Byron Bay to Carnarvon.

As another Aussie, i see it differently. My work is for the state electricity boards in Queensland & New South Wales. I spend a lot of time on Transmission Line Tracks and an even longer period of time on remote highways and back roads. Its nothing for me to drive 10 hours from the Sunshine Coast to Moranbah to a Coal Mine, be onsite for 4 hours, then drive home. My vehicle of choice has always been the Toyota Hilux and my current Fortuner is Hilux number 10 for me. I dont want full electric, but what i would love is a Hybrid. Toyota tells me "maybe 2025", but i cant wait. We have the Ëlectric Superhighway" in QLD which is enough charging stations on the coast road to go from the Gold Coast to Cairns, which is 1800km. Western routes are being added, but only on the main highways, so EV only is going to stay very limited outside of town use. Gimme a Hybrid 4WD and i will be as happy as a dog with 2 tails.
Tell us more about the "Electric Superhighway". When you say there are enough charging stations what does that really mean? How does the charger count equate to the volume of vehicles on that same roadway? If 1000 cars make the same length trip on the same stretch of road at the same time are there enough chargers for all? If so it would be the only roadway in the world by a long shot that could make the claim (at least as far as I could research). Reality being there are no where near enough anywhere and nothing close to a plan to get there anytime soon.

I get the hybrid thing. It is a real viable part of a solution to cutting some emissions and saving a bit of fuel.

Tell us more about the "Electric Superhighway". When you say there are enough charging stations what does that really mean? How does the charger count equate to the volume of vehicles on that same roadway? If 1000 cars make the same length trip on the same stretch of road at the same time are there enough chargers for all? If so it would be the only roadway in the world by a long shot that could make the claim (at least as far as I could research). Reality being there are no where near enough anywhere and nothing close to a plan to get there anytime soon.

I get the hybrid thing. It is a real viable part of a solution to cutting some emissions and saving a bit of fuel.
This is the difference between OZ and the USA. We only have 1/18th of your population in a country that is bigger than the USA or Europe. Out of our 25 million residents, 85% live within 150kms of the coast. The Bruce Highway in QLD runs 2000km's from the NSW border to Cairns, near Cape York, but apart from about 9 main towns there is nothing along the road, so its usually 1 1/2 to 2 hours between major towns and the further north you go, the less traffic there is. The Ëlectric Superhighway" is a political stunt by the State Gubberment as EV's are too expensive for the plebs to buy anyway, but the Net Zero by 2050 vote catcher has to be achieved to appease the snowflakes. To me, this is the ideal country for Hybrids as distance will always be the enemy of EV's.

If my IQ was 150 pts higher, I’d make an electric car with better regenerative braking system, better batteries, more efficient motors, a flow-thru wind turbine that helps charge the batteries and the outer skin of the car all solar cells so you never run out of power while driving. THAT car, I’d buy.

Mark

Next thing in the works "structural battery composite". Structure parts will also be energy storage. Years away and many problems to work through. May start in toys/laptops/phones first.

Nobody has thought seriously of using methane for a power source. Farts are a good source of methane, and thus self-propulsion.

Back