• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

OK so here we go - Suspension

Postman arrived with opentracker and SoT items. Everything ordered from Oz suppliers MIA.

Big country over here or maybe strapped to a dingo with the hope it knows the way......

Ok so finally got everything fitted up, but for the life of me I can't remember how the front sway bar was fitted to the LCA. Does it go bend up or down. Pics would be appreciated.

And how far away from the strut rod should it be? I've upgraded to a 1" and it seems to sit closer to it. Have about a half inch clearance, but the with the same anchor point they should maintain the same gap when moving.

All comments appreciated.

I know I should know this but my other cars are from the chev stable so aren't a good go by.

Last edited:
FWIW. Bend up is the way.
I had the same problem but in my situation it even touches the strut rods.
I changed my strut rods with the 68 models had.
Its possible if the LCA have 4 holes where the strut rods are attached to.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Thanks Bruno. I've fitted the adjustable street or track rods. I'll flip the sway bar over and see how it fits.

67 and prior strut rod bares are straight.
68 have a bent near the LCA location.
Those give enough clearance for the thicker sway bare.
FWIW.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Sorry I'm late the party. Been on the road this week and just got home last night. I will share a pic but nobody get after me about the car being dirty. I took it out for a drive every chance I got this winter when the roads were salt free (or at least dry). Seems the next day above 50F I need to get my butt outside and clean her belly!

Anyway, here's a pic of my set-up. Hope it shows you what you wanted to see, Tony.
swaybar.jpg

There is plenty of clearance. Not the best camera angle. Not saying it doesn't get close in places but there is zero evidence of anything ever touching and I have put it through its paces hard enough to have pushed it to the limits.

Thanks Terry/ Bruno. I'm using a local made one so it looks a little different to yours.

bar-min.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I'm late the party. Been on the road this week and just got home last night. I will share a pic but nobody get after me about the car being dirty. I took it out for a drive every chance I got this winter when the roads were salt free (or at least dry). Seems the next day above 50F I need to get my butt outside and clean her belly!

Anyway, here's a pic of my set-up. Hope it shows you what you wanted to see, Tony.
View attachment 34453
How embarrassing.

So finally got everything changed out.

I know it's taken longer than it should have but delivery times are just crazy.

I also forgot the joys of doing this laying on your back.

BTW ended up fitting Koni shocks all round. Still want to change to coil overs later, though.

Just need alignment now and all done.

Thanks to all for the help.

Tony

There's not much to see Bruno as it's all under the car. But I'll try to take some pics when I have the wheels off again.

Ride height looks like it will be pretty much the same.

The rear springs looked ok if anyone wants them.

Back