• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My E-Coupe'ish plans...

johnpsz

I know I will get a lot of crap for doing a restomod, I know on other forums years ago, that I have stopped using, I kept getting a lot of negative comments around my project ideas. I purposely started with a beat up, barely running I6 car, because I planned to restomod it. This forum seems to have a good mix of purists and restomoders, and I have only been a member for a day, so only time (and this post) will tell if there are haters here, lol.

Anyhow, here are some of the styling items I am planning on doing to my 67 Coupe.
Eleanor style lower nose, with the fog light dimples filled and smoothed.
Stock upper nose (stock headlight buckets, and stock grill with horse and corral)
Stock 67 Turn signal hood
Eleanor style (MTF) high rockers and side exhaust
Eleanor style fender/quarter flares
Stock 67 quarter panel side scoops
Eleanor style coupe deck lid spoiler
Stock 67 taillights
MTF Resto-mod rear valance

Like I said, I get a lot of crap for not wanting to make it an E-Coupe, and some people thinking the Stock/Eleanor mix will be ugly, and it may be, but I won't know until I get it that far. Besides, I am building this car for me, and what I want it to be.

You are perfectly fine here. Hell, we even let Mark hang around.

Not a lot of "purists" here, honestly. Even those with stock rides aren't snobs. Personally, I only get a bit worked up when I see something being done in an unsafe manner or in a very poor way. If you start filling rocker holes with steel wool and Bondo expect some comments. Other than that...Your car do your thing.

Welcome! That is a pretty nice list of things you want to do. I would suggest checking out MTF's forum as well to get information straight from Rich for the various MTF pieces. Alot of their parts are made to fit with the longer nose, so with you runninga stock length nose you might have a bit more "fun" making some of those parts fit.

JRanger is currently installing MTF rockers and flares. Can't remember if they're high or low though.

What are your plans for the drivetrain? Its going to take alot of work to stuff a 6.7 liter powerstroke and an NV5600 6 speed in there.

Welcome! That is a pretty nice list of things you want to do. I would suggest checking out MTF's forum as well to get information straight from Rich for the various MTF pieces. Alot of their parts are made to fit with the longer nose, so with you runninga stock length nose you might have a bit more "fun" making some of those parts fit.

JRanger is currently installing MTF rockers and flares. Can't remember if they're high or low though.

What are your plans for the drivetrain? Its going to take alot of work to stuff a 6.7 liter powerstroke and an NV5600 6 speed in there.
I'll keep the 6.7 in my truck, lol. I hate posting what I "want" for the powerplant/drivetrain for the same reasons above, too many others have opinions. But, the wife and I decided on a Coyote and 6spd auto. I have been on the MTF forums for years now, so already got a few things answered by Rich. After I get the car torn down the first thing going in is his full length subframe for the Coyote, he also mentioned a prototype of a lower nose mold without the upper, that he might be able to do.

Sounds awesome, you seem to have most of the big parts worked out already. I wanted to go with his subframe, but I'm sticking with a Windsor, so it wasn't as necessary. My next project will probably have a coyote powerplant.

We are a much more relaxed and open minded bunch around here, unless you try to patch holes with steel wool and bondo (as mentioned in the welcome letter that should have been mailed in the fruit basket to every new member)

I'll keep the 6.7 in my truck, lol. I hate posting what I "want" for the powerplant/drivetrain for the same reasons above, too many others have opinions. But, the wife and I decided on a Coyote and 6spd auto. I have been on the MTF forums for years now, so already got a few things answered by Rich. After I get the car torn down the first thing going in is his full length subframe for the Coyote, he also mentioned a prototype of a lower nose mold without the upper, that he might be able to do.

If you don’t go with a voodoo motor, you’re no better than that TERRY dork from chitcago.

And yet another Fix thread veers wildly off any semblance of tracks. Just another day.

Anyway, I noticed that people (like me) who do stuff to their cars that doesn't seem to appeal to the mainstream tend to get along just fine if they basically just quietly go about doing it. Versus waving flags and shooting fireworks. There was a guy who stirred up all kinds of flak with a plan of twin rear-mounted turbos. After a short time he quieted down and just posted an interesting thing or too or small stuff he wanted opinions or advice about. Then one day he posted a video of how well it worked when done. I'm kind of following his course I might throw a sneak peak of something or another on my car into a relevant discussion. That's about it. I don't mind that many folks don't/won't like what I'm doing. I just don't want to listen to flak about it.
A large part of what I've done on my car comes from me seeing stuff I liked on other cars. Often just some small feature I find really slick even though the rest of the car isn't to my taste. I actually had a fairly good picture of what I wanted my car to be about the third day I owned it. Then about a year late this remake of Gone In 60 Seconds came out. I was sick. "Now everyone will think I copied Eleanor". I hardly touched the car for two years because of that. Soldiering on with more or less the original plan though. About none of my adult life has centered around what other people think.

MTF has new lower nose you say?

Very ambitious plan to say the least. As the new guy here we know little about you or your skill sets. Your plan will entail a fair amount of welding, for example. Are you good to go there or will you need training and/or equipment, etc.? How about your electrical/electronic skills? Fortunately Ford (and others) has made available a "swap kit", if you will, for dropping a Coyote into just about anything (harness wise) but there is still a good bit of electrical integration that will be required. Are you electrically savvy? I could go on but just wanted to put this out there to draw your awareness to it for two reasons. One, if you have tools to buy or will be farming some work out...plan on lots of $$$ outside the actual car parts cost. And two, if you are new to much of this trying to do some of what you plan will likely take MUCH longer than expected as you take one step forward and two back often as your learning curve. Not trying to dissuade you just making you clearly aware. Depending on your readiness (skills and cash), this could easily become a very long term project. As in years.

My suggestion to you is fire up Excel and create a spreadsheet which lists all the parts you will need to purchase, all the tools and any other ancillary stuff you know you will need. List out vendor part numbers and prices. I like to break things out into separate areas (think engine, interior, body and paint) to arrive at sub-categories and their costs. Do this to understand your budget requirements. EVERYBODY way underestimates their project costs. Things change, new costs develop...it just is. You must do this to know what you are up against. I promise you it will open your eyes. For example, I would make a good guess at your project cost, as laid out, to be in the neighborhood of $30k easy. That is with you doing 100% of the work. Body and paint, electrical, drivetrain...everything. That doesn't include any necessary tools you may not possess now. Honestly, it will be more but maybe you save some cash by using a junkyard engine and trans or something like that.

My point is know what you are in in for and plan the path. It will be more enjoyable that way as you can see your progress along the way to the finish line. I spent a lot of years on mine in which plans kept changing as more money was spent, more time went by and I could not see the end in sight. Thankfully, I am there now but I learned a lot of lessons on my journey. Good luck with yours and I am always willing to answer any questions or lend advice (as you can see. lol).

Sounds like some cool plans. I'm all for doing what you want cause it's your car until the cross breeding starts. Glad to see the Coyote choice as it's in the same family. If you said LS I'd have had to check the ignore button.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Very ambitious plan to say the least. As the new guy here we know little about you or your skill sets. Your plan will entail a fair amount of welding, for example. Are you good to go there or will you need training and/or equipment, etc.? How about your electrical/electronic skills? Fortunately Ford (and others) has made available a "swap kit", if you will, for dropping a Coyote into just about anything (harness wise) but there is still a good bit of electrical integration that will be required. Are you electrically savvy? I could go on but just wanted to put this out there to draw your awareness to it for two reasons. One, if you have tools to buy or will be farming some work out...plan on lots of $$$ outside the actual car parts cost. And two, if you are new to much of this trying to do some of what you plan will likely take MUCH longer than expected as you take one step forward and two back often as your learning curve. Not trying to dissuade you just making you clearly aware. Depending on your readiness (skills and cash), this could easily become a very long term project. As in years.

My suggestion to you is fire up Excel and create a spreadsheet which lists all the parts you will need to purchase, all the tools and any other ancillary stuff you know you will need. List out vendor part numbers and prices. I like to break things out into separate areas (think engine, interior, body and paint) to arrive at sub-categories and their costs. Do this to understand your budget requirements. EVERYBODY way underestimates their project costs. Things change, new costs develop...it just is. You must do this to know what you are up against. I promise you it will open your eyes. For example, I would make a good guess at your project cost, as laid out, to be in the neighborhood of $30k easy. That is with you doing 100% of the work. Body and paint, electrical, drivetrain...everything. That doesn't include any necessary tools you may not possess now. Honestly, it will be more but maybe you save some cash by using a junkyard engine and trans or something like that.

My point is know what you are in in for and plan the path. It will be more enjoyable that way as you can see your progress along the way to the finish line. I spent a lot of years on mine in which plans kept changing as more money was spent, more time went by and I could not see the end in sight. Thankfully, I am there now but I learned a lot of lessons on my journey. Good luck with yours and I am always willing to answer any questions or lend advice (as you can see. lol).
Horseplay - my first thoughts when reading this are; you rock....

I have to get on my computer to give you a good sense of my skills, planning, and etc. It's too much to try and type out on my phone...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm going to break up this quote and try and answer it bit by bit. But in all honesty, I love this post from Horseplay, you guys are "real" and it seems like a great community so far.

Certainly a fair comment, some newb jumps on and within a few days has posts asking dumb questions about gaps and distances, and in another post discusses his grandiose "plans" for the car. So let me give you a little background on me...
My father was a mechanic for a living and helped my uncle with his race and show cars in his off time. I was rewiring and working on cars from such a young age I couldn't even tell you when I started. I'm that guy that can't have anything "stock", and modifies everything even my kids power wheels. I have personally had multiple "project" cars/trucks over the years, rebuilt a few engines (everything from small stuff like Chevy 2.2L, Mitsubishi 3.0L to a Ford 351M and GM 90's era LT1). I have a drag race car that I have done all the work on myself, including fabricating parts (everything from alternator brackets, sheet metal panels, custom switch panels, to control arms and the roll cage). On the drag car I traced every wire, and pulled circuits I didn't need and rewired the EFI harness to relocate a few things and it hasn't skipped a beat and even broke a few class records (for a few weeks anyhow, there is always someone out to do better than you), you just have to approach it methodically. Hell, even when I spent a crazy amount of money on a new truck (2017 F450), I was the guy that within a week of taking delivery I was reprogramming the body computer and repinning the wiring in the door so that the power fold in mirrors would fold in automatically when I locked the truck, and fold out automatically if I unlocked the truck and got in the drivers door. As for welding, I have the tools and skills, albeit I haven't touched my welder in 3-4 years and my plasma cutter hasn't been used since, well before my son was born and he turned 8 a few months ago. So it will not be a learning curve to overcome, more like getting back into practice. My life got turned upside down and all the car stuff was put on the back burner after my son was born, not the normal "oh we have kids now and no time for hobbies", but he had a lot of medical issues including heart failure and open heart surgery at 7 weeks old. As a result, we felt we needed to move cross country to be closer to my wife's family, most of my "workshop" on the east coast was boxed up or sold off to make the move and no reason to unpack it as there were no real good racing series out here and I destroyed my race trailer during the cross country move. We overcame a lot, and my son is now my helper and wants to help with the mustang project. I joke, knowing inside it really may not be a joke, with him that the car may be done by the time he is driving, so we have 7ish years to finish the project. I'm not the guy that thinks this will be done by the end of summer for the next cool cruise, more like summer of 2022, if I'm lucky....

All that being said, I have welded body panels, made patch panels, but I have NEVER been the finish body work guy. This is an area in which I am doing a lot of research, and something I want to "try" to do on my own. But at the end of the day I may have to outsource that finish work if I really cannot get it how I like it. But I have confidence that it is not out of my grasp at this point, but also know it will be a few years before I have to really deal with some of that. First will be the mechanical, welding, wiring type work, and I know I can handle that and teach my kids how to do it as well.

Oh I have had spreadsheets going for years now, lol. and you are pretty close because with parts, sheet metal, fiberglass, misc materials and shipping costs (you can't forget after purchase costs like shipping) alone are well over 30K, but as stated above, this is spread over 3-4 years (in my plan, but may go longer), and that doesn't include the finish body work which I have already gotten quotes for and see that being 5-12K depending on the level of finish I can do myself. So Yes, thanks for bring this up, and I am not caught of guard by it. Like I said, you guys are trying to keep it "real" for guys who have high hopes and seem to be just jumping into the water and not realizing they are in the middle of the ocean, I like that.

Huh. I've just always taken the high road and assumed folks were reasonably competent and had a fair idea of what they were getting into until they proved otherwise. Lot less typing that way.

Back