• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mustang Project LED gauge cluster bulbs?

LNimoy

I got my under dash harness back, (thank you Midlife), and I am ordering everything I need to replace under the dash while the cluster is out.
I would like to replace the 5 gauge cluster with LEDs. Does anyone have experience with these bulbs from Mustang Project?

Thanks

I used their stuff for much of my car. No issues. Good quality. Not the same kit, obviously. LEDs are simple and inexpensive to do on your own as well. For example I bought LEDs off EBay to do my cluster as I wanted specific colors for signal indicators and bright headlamps as opposed to using colored filters. The only trick is LEDs require specific polarity when wired. Not hard to do but might require modifications to a stock wiring set-up. Buying the kit would make it plug-n-play easy...at a significant cost, however, compared to buying LEDS for pennies on the dollar.

Do NOT use LEDs for the alternator indicator lamp, if you have one. They must be incandescent lamps. Polarity can be a real pain in the ass as some 1895 sockets on 71-73's use both polarities.

Do NOT use LEDs for the alternator indicator lamp, if you have one. They must be incandescent lamps.
Curious. Never really looked at how the circuit worked here. Guessing that as alternator output fell off voltage to the gauge lamp was increased causing it to glow brighter, maybe? Is this why it should be incandescent?

Curious. Never really looked at how the circuit worked here. Guessing that as alternator output fell off voltage to the gauge lamp was increased causing it to glow brighter, maybe? Is this why it should be incandescent?
No, the bulb is actually used as part of the circuit and its resistance is critical for operation. There is, however, a backup (sneak path) wire that provides 15 ohms resistance should the bulb burn out. This circuit helps to stimulate the voltage regulator to regulate, if I understand things correctly.

Take warnings as stated .
I replaced (years ago) my cluster bulbs with Mustang Project and all is good.
Well the high beam light shines right at my eyes, like a laser, but really don't use that anyways.

Back