• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mach1Mark's '65 coupe restomod

Mach1Mark

Ramrod extraordinaire
Donator
Ok, folks . . . I am hereby commiting to work in earnest on my '65 coupe and make substantial progress every week. My goal was to be able to drive my coupe next summer. That may still be possible if I work diligently. Ive owned my coupe since 1979 and enjoyed restoring, showing, street driving and even track racing 'The Colt' during my ownership. Except for the past fifteen years when all he has been during that time is a garage floor anchor.

Recently, I've completed a build profile/schedule of all the items that need attention and the things I intend to do to improve safety, reliability and performance. During the summer of 2010 I began disassembly because I was (am) tired of owning a hobby car I don't enjoy, bored during my lengthy unemployment and wanted to get a jump on the restomod. The chassis is a bare roller except for the engine/trans and rear end. Today I removed all the glass and hardware from the driver door, the pass door is next tomorrow. I've found a local guy to media strip the paint. Next will be some minor rust repair and chassis stiffening then to the paint booth (I need a painter) by spring. Then on to rebuild/restore everything else. My intent is to do everything as well as can be done and daily drive The Colt as much as possible and when Im no longer able to drive the Colt I will give him to my oldest son. He is a Mustanger too.

Watching all your individual builds has kept me inspired and I hope I do that for the next guy too. This is the first and only Mustang site I intend to post my progress. Special thanks to Ryan (Monkeystash) for allowing me to visit his place and check his build progress in person. Stay tuned.

Got a needed quarter extension in the mail tonight from a Stangfixer . . . :pbj
Thanks, Ryan

I tackled the removal of the pass. side window, vent window and other stuff tonight after dinner. Bare door #2. I willl take some start of project pics tommorow night.

Ive got some minor body/rust repairs that I need to do. Chime in if you think I should repair or replace the original fender. It got backed into while Colt was in storage. (still cant post pics to my build).

Attachments

• Drv fender2.JPG
    780.1 KB · Views: 445
I would always attempt to repair original sheet metal. It does not look to bad from what you posted. Now, if an original used fender in good shape could be had cheap, then that might be an option.

:stu You'll have more work in a getting a repop to correctly fit than fixing that one.....

Today I took some loose sheet metal (hood, trunk, fenders, headlight & quarter panel extensions) to a media stripper in Spartanburg, SC. From the looks of his shop he does a lot of cars so I'm not worried about him warping panels. I need to clear some room in my garage today to make room for the engine, trans & rear end. Next week I'm taking the doors and any other loose sheetmetal.

In addition to taking the loose sheet metal to the media stripper I removed the doors after I cleared more room in my garage.

Took the bare door shells, rear valance and rock guard to the sand blaster last Friday (2/17). Began manufacturing the cart that will carry the bare car body to the sand blasters shop on the roll back. He wants me to remove the wiring too . . . hadnt planned on that but I guess its now or never.

I will post more pics as soon as I can figure out how to populate a gallary and tie the pics to my thread. Ive been taking pics.

Bare front end before I took the doors to the media stripper.

Vandal damage on left rear quarter

Messed up a 1984 NOS quarter replacement in a 1995 guardrail incident . . . :steer small amount of dent pulling and smoothing.

Removed the axle, leaf springs and driveshaft today.

Attachments

• 1965 rear axle.JPG
    952.2 KB · Views: 49
Almost done making the cart that will bolt to the bottom of my Colt once the entire drive train is removed.

Attachments

• 1965 cart3.JPG
    741.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 1965 cart2.JPG
    752.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 1965 cart.JPG
    907.7 KB · Views: 39
This past weekend I had some heavy duty brackets fabbed that fit into the spring pocket and straddle the 4x6.

Attachments

• Cart brkts.JPG
    690.4 KB · Views: 35
Here are the brackets mounted in the spring pockets.

Attachments

• Cart brkt3.JPG
    896.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Cart brkt4.JPG
    805.4 KB · Views: 43
And the brackets installed on the 4x6 (sans thru bolts)

Attachments

• Cart.JPG
    750.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Cart2.JPG
    794.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Cart3.JPG
    754.7 KB · Views: 44
Back