• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Has anyone noticed...

daveSanborn

... that 0.030 over reman 302 blocks are being advertised as SBF "306" performance motors? I've had a few guys approach me about the benefits of using a 306 motor as opposed to a 302. Huh? The fact that the cylinder walls have already been overbored 50% of their life can not equate into any "benefit", IMO. The companies appear to be marketing these overbored engines as if it's a benefit to have a couple more cubic inches.

Thoughts?

I've seen that too!!! I wondered if I was retarded for disagreeing with it, or if there was something I'd missed, because I didn't understand where all the "306"s were coming from.. I mean I KNEW... but I didn't think they were seriously being advertised that way... boring a 302 .030 over starts to push the limits on the block as far I'm concerned.

Agreed. .040 is the absolute limit, as far as I'm concerned, and I wouldn't even go that far given the number of available 5.0 blocks laying around. It's possible to go to .060 on some blocks, but core shift makes it a sketchy deal, and heating problems are likely to ensue.

It's probably to market to all of the people that think that those 4 extra cubes are really going to make a difference in the total power output. I'd guess that half the people I've talked to at work about performance engine work brag about their engine being bored as if it was a performance improvement. Unless you've got something like a Dart or Man o' War block where you can bore the cylinders out to something like 4.125, it's not going to make any real difference in power output.

Back