• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

granada disc setup

Fst Blk

I believe I lucked upon a granada disc brake setup. It was in the 69 FB that I picked up. So, that makes this setup really inexpensive :whis :yah

1375137586_zps85871736.jpg

1375137584_zps419f9e12.jpg

1375137573_zps1acab5d4.jpg

1375130458_zps08505c5d.jpg

1375130000_zpsf086fc32.jpg

Anyhow, I don't know much about them. Does the bolts that tie the caliper bracket to the spindle require a castle nut and cotter or will a simple nut and bolt setup suffice. Does it look like I'm missing anything?

Oh, and the best part of this was that it was just laying in the car. There is still a disc setup on the car :thum It's missing some pieces but...
1375137610_zps75d0c6d5.jpg

Bill

Don't forget to buy the right tie rod ends (Mustangs notta fit).

Yeah, I spoke with John about the tierods. I'm buying a complete setup from him, so he get me the right pieces.

Bill

"Larry G" said:
I think the calipers are bolted to the brackets and wired together.
Not with the Granada style calipers. They are "floating" calipers. The four piston Kelsey-Hayes calipers are a "fixed" style and are indeed bolted though.

I believe the caliper bracket is threaded and is held on by two course thread bolts that pass through the spindle. There are no nuts or safety wires.

BrakePadInsideBigger.JPG

The pictures that Bill posted are of 69/70 disc brake brackets and calipers, the caliper bracket is bolted and safety wired to the spindle.
Here's a couple of picture's from my disassembly photo's.

Mustang1163-1.jpg

Mustang1162.jpg

That doesn't sound good.

This is what the setup looks like. Will they marry and be happy???

Bill

It looks like you have both. This one looks like a Mustang disc brake.

1375137610_zps75d0c6d5.jpg

This one looks like a Granada

Are those two different spindle and caliper set up's ? - They look different in the photos

The one attached to the car is probably a factory 69 setup. The setup all together on the ground is what I dug out of the car. It looks like it is all the same. I know the caliper brackets/calipers are the same. They both have d5 castings on the brackets. The spindles... well I'm not sure if they are the same. Is there a way to tell for sure?

Bill

I was wrong, I just went and looked. The spindles have the d5 castings, so they are the same. The brackets look identical.

Bill

yes, you have Granada spindles and calipers on the ground. You just appear to be missing the bolts that hold the brackets to the spindles.
here is a few shots of just the bracket and spindle assembled
20545d1326486234-granada-spindles-006.jpg

148402-waid786-album328-brake-rear-picture1868-75-maverick-spindles-3.jpg

148402-waid786-album328-brake-rear-picture1869-75-maverick-spindles-6.jpg

these are the gizmo's that allow the caliper to float (which it looks like you have)
images

"Larry G" said:
The pictures that Bill posted are of 69/70 disc brake brackets and calipers, the caliper bracket is bolted and safety wired to the spindle.

Sorry Larry, I was just responding to your post where you stated the caliper was bolted to the bracket and wired. Your are indeed correct in your second post that the 69/70 caliper bracket is bolted and safety wired. I have never seen the Granada set up safety wired (though it doesn't mean is was never done at some point).

BTW Bill, if you don't like the threaded brake lines for the calipers on the Granada set up, you can use '79 Jeep CJ7 V8 calipers and the long lines (they come in different lengths). You get banjo fittings at the calipers instead of the threaded fitting. Believe it or not, the calipers ARE Ford calipers. Some rebuilt units will even have a Ford oval cast into them! You can pick up a professional grade Raybestos rebuild already loaded with semi metallic pads from Rock Auto for $45 ea ($10 of that is core charge)!

"Ponyman66" said:
BTW Bill, if you don't like the threaded brake lines for the calipers on the Granada set up, you can use '79 Jeep CJ7 V8 calipers and the long lines (they come in different lengths). You get banjo fittings at the calipers instead of the threaded fitting. Believe it or not, the calipers ARE Ford calipers. Some rebuilt units will even have a Ford oval cast into them! You can pick up a professional grade Raybestos rebuild already loaded with semi metallic pads from Rock Auto for $45 ea ($10 of that is core charge)!

79 CJ7's huh, good to know. What length line would you use?

Bill

I'll dig through my stuff this evening and get the part number. I got the numbers off of Rock Auto, then went down to a local parts store that had them in stock. This allowed to put hands on and check/measure to make sure they were the correct length. IIRC I then dug them up on Ebay for a price cheaper than anyone else's and bought them there!

I've got the Granada conversion for my '66 coupe. I did buy a set of spindles from CSRP though (since I was converting a car originally equipped with a 6cyl). These have the correct 65/66 steering geometry. They were also the most expensive pieces for me in the whole conversion. All of my other brake components (master cyl, calipers, rotors, pads and lines are all Raybestos), and I was able to locate them at rock bottom prices (yeah...I'm cheap! LOL). Heck, I got the pads (Raybestos PG grade semi metallics),for something like $7!! I found a rebate form for them AND bought them on sale!! I believe the total conversion (including new dust shields, hardware and Timken wheel bearings/seals), cost me right at $350.

"Ponyman66" said:
I got the numbers off of Rock Auto, then went down to a local parts store that had them in stock. This allowed to put hands on and check/measure to make sure they were the correct length. IIRC I then dug them up on Ebay for a price cheaper than anyone else's and bought them there!
Every merchants nightmare! I think we are all guilty of such. We're so bad.

Although I am on a very tight budget and have to get the stuff for my project as inexpensive as I can, I actually buy a lot of parts from this particular place too. I didn't feel too bad about it (matter of fact I just bought some plugs for the car from them this past weekend....because they were on sale of course!).

Jeff I haven't forgotten your question. I looked through some of my stuff for the lines, but at the time I couldn't find them. I have tons of parts for the car squirreled away awaiting installation. It's driving the wife crazy! I'll have more time to look tomorrow though. I will get you an answer!

Back