• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Finally, I have a nice compressor!

Dne'

Hi gang;), a couple months ago, I bought a "pre-owned" Champion 5hp/60gallon (220volt) compressor and I've been working on installing and upgrading it. The seller was south of Dallas, works on compressors. This one has a new motor, belts, rings,etc. Sounds great! I added an After cooler which really seemed to help! It's explained in the blog down below, but I'm just excited and ready to paint something! or blast something!!
dne' ;)

I bought the decals, and the V and climate I removed as that wasn't the "brand" of the compressor, but it is a Champion. Just makes it look nicer with decals!

Nice! Having a nice compressor is great. I think I sometimes take mine for granted I'm so used to it. Makes lots of tasks so much easier.

Nice! I need to get a compressor. Makes me jealous. Can't wait to see what you use it for first.

Thank you both, Terry and Brett;) I don't have any painting going on for a while, but my cabinet blaster would probably be the first thing. But I want to get a good pedal for it and some new media. I have some steel media, but it rusts and in the most part of my garage isn't going to last very long. It's going to be nice to blast something without waiting for a compressor to catch up~ that's frustrating!

Any ideas on a versatile blasting "stuff";)

I can't take credit for everything going on for upgrades, but I am doing all the work! However, I want direct tank pressure out of the large hole from the top and I have a large valve there as of today (3/4"). Not exactly sure where I'm going with this idea, but maybe to large hose to allow for condensation. I'll have to stop here cause my brain is hurting from thinking too much! ;)

Definitely you will want to feed that main line into a manifold that has multiple takeoffs and/or pressure banks. That way you can have dedicated full time runs to stuff like your blast cabinet and have the ability to have other tools hooked up simultaneously. Think air grinder and blow gun, for example. Little stuff like that makes work easier. If you have an old compressor you have replaced you can also plumb its tank into the system for added volume storage. You can never have too much volume when blasting or painting.

Hi John! I'm really kind of new to a large compressor, probably should have had a dehumidifier on my earlier compressor, but can you show me a picture of what you're speaking of? I have yet to buy a regulator, oil separator and dryer, so is a dehumidifier that same as a dryer? I'm kind of at a halt right now, as I've been a spending machine! But I like to hear what I should be doing to improve air quality;)

I did install this after cooler, really made a difference in cooling the air down.

Never used an after cooler like that. Cool. I have also never heard of a dehumidifier set-up on an air compressor. I'm wondering if he means a water trap...which you should obviously include.

I didn't know the air coming out of the pump would get so hot! The after cooler really did the job! I can't hold the pipe coming out of the head, but on the other side, it's warm and I can hold the pipe;) Right now I'm focusing on the Mustang. I'd like to get it rolling by August 27, which will be the 2 year anniversary o

My bad on the terms, it is actually a refrigerated dryer unit for an air compressor. I got mine at Harbor Freight (
Central Pneumatic Industrial
Compressed air dryer removes moisture from compressed air lines to prevent future problems
$399.99
1563981589581.png

Wow, that's "cool"! I went on HF and checked them out, it's just like looking at stuff on Amazon, good reviews, then really bad reviews! sigh. I'm not in any hurry, but I always get this urgency to buy more stuff thinking I'm going to finish, when I do not! that didn't make any sense did it;)

Back