• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

71 - 73 Mustang auto shifter lever to AOD Steel Rod Conversion

All,

I believe this is the original thread.

What exactly are you trying to figure out? The thread link you posted of Craig's write up is quite detailed even including drawings with measurements. Are you trying to figure out the dimensions of the rectangular tubing bit he used to connect to the shifter arm?

What exactly are you trying to figure out? The thread link you posted of Craig's write up is quite detailed even including drawings with measurements. Are you trying to figure out the dimensions of the rectangular tubing bit he used to connect to the shifter arm?
Hello horseplay,

I have Lokar setup and was trying to find a better way to align shifter to AOD. I found the Bracket and rod dimensions some time ago! When found the thread again, none of the pictures are showing! Just have broken links. According to thread, he did not use the rectangular tube. I cannot see any dimension drawings! His current setup looks way more adjustable!

So is the issue you are looking to fix getting the gear indication on the shifter to align properly or simply altering the shifter to trans linkage so it aligns and functions better? I'm assuming the former. Judging by Craig's info in that thread you just need to move the shifter connection point up about 7/8" toward the arm pivot point.
This is not enough to get you going/close?
AODdrwg1.jpg

So is the issue you are looking to fix getting the gear indication on the shifter to align properly or simply altering the shifter to trans linkage so it aligns and functions better? I'm assuming the former. Judging by Craig's info in that thread you just need to move the shifter connection point up about 7/8" toward the arm pivot point.
This is not enough to get you going/close?
View attachment 32471
Horseplay. That is the one. Glad you added the full picture. Mine was cut off at the top.

You could "sleeve" the hole where the orignal pivot comes , so you can fine tune the shifter to the AOD's selektor positions.

You could "sleeve" the hole where the orignal pivot comes , so you can fine tune the shifter to the AOD's selektor positions.
Hello B67FSTB, In the picture of previous reply, look at the diagram. Is the, 'sleeve' you mentioned, what you had in mind?

Well ,my english isn't very good at all when it comes to explain some technical issues.
That rectangular tube has a hole at its lowes point. through this hole comes a bolt that mount that rectangular tube to the shifter lever.
When you make/file this hole more "oval" , you can slide this rectangular tube up or down on the lever so you van adjust the shifter to the AOD's shift positions. Hope you can understand me.Sorry.

Well ,my english isn't very good at all when it comes to explain some technical issues.
That rectangular tube has a hole at its lowes point. through this hole comes a bolt that mount that rectangular tube to the shifter lever.
When you make/file this hole more "oval" , you can slide this rectangular tube up or down on the lever so you van adjust the shifter to the AOD's shift positions. Hope you can understand me.Sorry.
Hello B67FSTB, your english is fine. Wow, the scarey part was that I was thinking along the same line. Why not extend the tail part, have an elongated slot to adjust up and down. Brilliant minds

AODShifterbracketB.jpg!

ahhhhh, the good ole days. Our '65's shifter is still working perfectly. That steel rectangular tubing was available at your local hardware store.

ahhhhh, the good ole days. Our '65's shifter is still working perfectly. That steel rectangular tubing was available at your local hardware store.
Hello cmyana, I went to 4 different places and could not the same tube as in the picture. I found some thin tube type.

Thanks,

mustang7173

If your shifter leg is like the above, you will need to fabricate a bracket that connects to the arm. Can it be somewhat adjustable? With those two bends, sliding a bracket over to the center section would be almost impossible. Compared to your current connecting point at the bottom, where would the new connecting point for the AOD? I bet right in the middle of the above bracket. If so, will take some high quality tequila shots and a lots of imagination.

By the way, I ended up not using the above original pictured bracket. For some reason, I used a simpler rectangular bracket. But again, if your needed connecting point for the tranny shifter arm is anywhere in the middle section, it will require some crazy ideas for a connection bracket. You should first try to determine where the new pivot point will need to be on your shifter arm. I assume it will be in the middle or lower part of the arm.

IMG_1308.JPGIMG_1310.JPG

The above pic shows the type of bracket I used and how it sits on the floor shifter arm

Hello cymana,

Thanks for the pictures. Here is the current AOD Shift linkage kit I have. The newer version has the adjustable shift pawl.
AOD Trans_Shift Linkage.PNG

AOD Shift Pawl.PNG

I believe with your pictures, I can make something fit and make it more adjustable.

Thanks

mustang7173

Back