• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 Coupe Daily Driver - Keeping it running and trying to impove it

janschutz

Corn Hauler
Wrecked my DD on 12/29/09. The insurance has told me I will get a check for $4200. I have gone thru the catalogs and came up with $2425 in parts. That levees $1775 for paint and labor. I am not sure what bent parts I can save yet. I will also know more when I see the actual estimate.

Wreck1.JPG

Wreck2.JPG

Wreck3.JPG

Wreck4.JPG

Wreck5.JPG

:cry

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 68 Coupe Daily Driver - Wreck Repair

Obviously it's hard to tell from the pics what all will need to be replaced vs. repaired but I'd say your catalog total is a more than you will actually need to spend. You could get many of the needed parts off E-bay, Craiglist, etc. used (better fit anyway). I'd start looking for an original hood and fender and see what you find.
Honestly, I think it won't be too bad.

Let us know what you need, I have some original Ford parts for 67/68's that may help. No Fender but Hood, Grille (and related trim & brackets), bumper, etc. My 68 Grille is rough but maybe between yours and mine you could make a good one. Anyway, good luck!

I pulled these out of the attic today. They're yours for whatever shipping comes to....

001-35.jpg

Got off all bolt-on sheet metal. The battery tray inner finder is toast (crinkled and rusted out). The radiator support is just bent. Would y'all replace the radiator support or just bend it back to where it belongs?

Both inner fenders have their Vin, so losing the passenger side I do not think is a big deal. Would y'all try to keep the passenger side VIN or not worry about it?

ABWreck001.jpg

ABWreck002.jpg

ABWreck003.jpg

ABWreck004.jpg

ABWreck005.jpg

I was going to use a reciprocating saw to cut off the metal and then grind off where the welds were. Other suggestions?

I would replace the radiator support.
Those are not very rigid anyway and bending the stretched metal back woudln't help.
I am sorry for your bad luck.
Keep us posted.

If it were mine, I would section the battery apron in. Cut it below the top part to retain the vin and the crisp lines of the original. I would try to straighten the radiator support first, if you cant get it right, either section the top where its bent or replace the whole thing. You'll find the replacement metal will need lots of work to fit and look as good as the original. From my experience, I try to retain as much original metal as possible.

Between my niece dieing and my oldest son getting engaged, I have not had much time to fix the car. Plus I was an emotional wreck and just did not feel like doing anything to it.

Got all the bent metal off then my youngest son, Steven, cam over and welded the new metal. We also did a patch where some rust was on the rear driver side inner fender seam was. Then my 6 year old digital camera died and I lost the opportunity to take picture of this work.

Got a new camera.

Using all Metal to cover over the weld seams for a smooth look. I also picked up a used hood today via craigslist.
ABWreck006.JPG

ABWreck007.JPG

I kept the original radiator cross member and took this picture of this factory marking to keep. I have now painted over it.
ABWreck008.JPG

Painting and putting it back together!
ABWreck009.JPG

ABWreck010.JPG

Need to check out the waterpump next and install a radiator and fan.

Coming along nicely. Good job straightening the radiator support; can't tell it was bent in the wreck.

"rmarks" said:
Coming along nicely. Good job straightening the radiator support; can't tell it was bent in the wreck.

+1 I missed that comment and thought you had replaced it... nice work!!!

"stangg" said:
+1 I missed that comment and thought you had replaced it... nice work!!!

I did replace the radiator support, the cross member was not..

Made a little more progress last nite.

Started hooking the harness back up. I never liked the horns where you could see them through the grill. I unwrapped the wires to fish out the horn wire.
ABWreck011.jpg

What is this? 2 wire in but no connector on the other side. Just looks like they terminate here.
ABWreck012.jpg

Rewrapped!
ABWreck013.jpg

Horns relocated to the driver side front apron.
ABWreck014.jpg

All the harness is routed.
ABWreck015.jpg

Wish someone made a nice aluminum or stainless steel washer tank that used the factor mount points.
ABWreck016.jpg

"janschutz" said:
Wish someone made a nice aluminum or stainless steel washer tank that used the factory mount points.

Someone used to make one, was it Kanter performance?

What is this? 2 wire in but no connector on the other side. Just looks like they terminate here.

Can't tell from the fuzzy picture, but it could be a ground plug or a foglamp plug.

Back