• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 Coupe Daily Driver - Keeping it running and trying to impove it

Re: 68 Coupe Daily Driver - Wreck Repair

I thought I had a painter but he has had some health issues and has not returned any phone calls for a while. I hope he will call me today or tomorrow, otherwise I am still looking.

I started working on the grill. The bent original.
ABWreck026.jpg

The grill that Dave Sanborn sent me.
ABWreck027.jpg

The rivets and tool I use to mount the fog light braces.
ABWreck028.jpg

Bent areas have been straightened. The braces installed and the holes cut out for the fog lights. Sanding is next, then prime and paint.
ABWreck029.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Looks good. I need to do that too, transfer over factory fog lights to a new grill.

Didn't the factory 68 fog light grill have some sort of hazy blue inside the large coral? I think I remember reading that but don't recall the specifics. If you know what I'm talking about, are you going to replicate that as well? Seems with the rivets and all that you are taking some trouble to do it original.

I already had the rivets from another project. I have not seen the blue haze before. If someone could post a pic, I might do it, other wise it just gets the black.

Just dropped off the stang at the painters. They said it will be done next week. I think that the economy has cut into their work also. They had a couple empty bays.

Finished the grill last night.

The body shop called and said that the Mustang is in primer.

Looks great. You'll have it back on the road in no time.

"janschutz" said:
The body shop called and said that the Mustang is in primer.

Great news! Did they end up repainting the entire car, or just the front clip?

Won't be long now!

Just the front clip. I need other repairs like a new driver's rear quarter but it is not time for that yet. It would of been only $1100 more for the whole car but I did not want to paint over rust and some other issues..

I now have the Mustang back from the painter's. I am very happy with their work. I starting to get the parts and trim back on.

ABWreck031.jpg

The hood I bought was junk and so this is the cheap repo hood which was the only hood Dallas Mustang had in stock. I wanted the Ford tooling one but could not wait 2 weeks for it to come in.
ABWreck032.jpg

I like not having an antenna.
ABWreck033.jpg

I am going to use trim tape to put the emblem back on. I will just remove the post and fill the back will Eastwood's All Metal body filler. Would ya'll paint the filler or not?

I will not be installing the Mustang script on the fenders.

Wow, that turned out great! The fit of that cheap repo looks pretty good too, I can't tell from the pics if there are any issues with it.

"sigtauenus" said:
Wow, that turned out great! The fit of that cheap repo looks pretty good too, I can't tell from the pics if there are any issues with it.

The fit was great but it is thin. I pushed a slight dent into it when I closed it had when I was aligning the hood latch. You can see it in the second picture. I am hoping to pop it out with some dry ice.

"janschutz" said:
The fit was great but it is thin. I pushed a slight dent into it when I closed it had when I was aligning the hood latch. You can see it in the second picture. I hoping to pop it out with some dry ice.
I noticed that and was hoping it was a shadow or something. That sucks, if it dented that easily, it should pop back out hopefully just as easy.

A job well done!

Nothing like a happy ending to this tale! You really knocked it out quickly and it beautiful! I love the stance of you stang too!
dne'

Those pics look great. Looks like y'all did a great job getting it back together.

Re: 68 Coupe Daily Driver - New Topic - The Wedding List

Now all the wreck repair is done. My oldest son, Marshall asked if he could you my Mustang as his getaway car at his wedding 9/11/2010. Of course I said yes but nothing can be done to it at the wedding.

I came up with a list of stuff I would like to get done to the Mustang to make it a better car for this event. Some are for looks, some are for more safety and some are just fixes.

Task Done 2 % Done
1 Align Passenger Door Glass
2 Align Rear Tail Lights
3 Build / Install Passenger Seat Slider Extension
4 Chrome / install Front Bumper
5 Chrome / install Rear Bumper
6 Fix / Install Heater
7 Fix Clock
8 Fix Overhead Console
9 Fix Rear Window Defogger
10 Fix Temp. Gauge
11 Get / Install Ac
12 Get / Install Door Panels
13 Get / Install Grill Cover
14 Get / Install Leds for Pillar Gauges
15 Get / Install New Trunk Mat
16 Get / Install Power Brakes
17 Get / Install Rear Seat
18 Get / Install Tilt
19 Get / Install Transmission Cooler
20 Giver Marshall A Driver Lesson in Mustang
21 Install Door Strikers 29-May
22 Install Passenger Door Weather Strip.
23 Install Quarter Panel Lights
24 Install Roof Pinch Weld
25 Install Tachometer
26 Install Trunk Light
27 Make / Install Radio Plate
28 Polish / Install Aluminum Radiator
29 Refurbish / Install Splash Shields
Week Before Wedding
35 Check oil, brake fluid, Water level, Transmission Level
36 Check Wiper Fluid Level
37 Clean Engine Bay
38 Clean interior
39 Clean Trunk
40 Clean Windows
41 Fill up Tank with Gas
42 Give Marshall a Set of Keys
43 Polish
44 Replace Wiper Blades
45 Wash
46 Wax

The empty number are because I know I will think up or come across a few more things.

I have order the components for the tilt steering and the power disk brakes.

So I started things out with an easy task. I replace the door striker with a set I had replated a couple years ago.
Before
Wed01.jpg

after
Wed02.jpg

Looks like I better get off my posterior and get busy.

Back