• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 Coupe Daily Driver - Keeping it running and trying to impove it

Engine goes in this afternoon. Cowl cover is done. Most of the body panels are done, even the back sides are painted.. Fiberglass repairs are done and curing.

WreckC023.jpg WreckC024.jpg WreckC025.jpg WreckC026.jpg WreckC027.jpg

you're going to get your car back before I get mine!
They got my quarter panel painted but while they have it, I decided to have them fix the cowl where I caught it on fire...

you're going to get your car back before I get mine!
They got my quarter panel painted but while they have it, I decided to have them fix the cowl where I caught it on fire...
What did you do when you caught it? Is this like the proverbial story of when the dog finally caught a car and didn't know what to do?

Yeah, sweet tea will do that
How did ya get fire up there?
I had a cowl leak and had the heater box out and was looking up in there and and found the problem. I repaired that but noticed some light coming thru the firewall. Years ago when I did all the metal work, I patched a spot in the firewall where the apron attaches. I had a gap that was not welded so I broke out the welder and was welding in there. It must have generated enough heat to catch some sealant or sound deadner or something inside the cowl on fire. I didn't see anything while inside the car but when I sat up and looked thru the windshield I saw flames. I jumped out of the car and all that was close was my glass of ice tea. I threw it in there and it went out and I went in the house to get water. When I came back I could see where the paint had bubbled from the heat.

Well missed the 13th done date but I am going to do a test drive today or tomorrow. Calling at lunch to confirm.

Took it for a test drive, I just wanted to keep driving. Needs a few more thing buttoned up but I scheduled to pick it up Friday at 10 am. Stupid phone took blurry pictures.

Was the tank nearly empty?

Probably as simple as the sending unit line not installed on the tank sending unit.

Back