• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2001 Cobra No Start

Fst Blk

Hey guys. Long story short, I bought a 2001 Cobra convertible. Car has been sitting 4-5 years… flat bedded it home and the fun began.

Changed the fuel pump as it was getting voltage but not priming. Drained tank and fresh 93 octane. Still no start. Verified 50 psi at shrader valve at fuel line so good there. Pulled a coil and had the son crank, verified voltage pulse there. All fuses test good. All gauges and everything work. OBD2 port connects to PCM and I cleared some fuel pump related codes. Ran engineering test and only thing non fuel related is an open starter circuit. Clearly not a problem as it cranks.

I have not ran a compression test yet. I have checked the crank sensor and I’m reading resistance across the sensor and reading the correct voltage on the harness. Cam position sensor looks ok but unsure how to test it. I did find a mouse chewed wire that has 12v in the engine harness on the driver side. Corrected that and still no go.

I’m googled out and unsure where to test now. Help lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost forgot the rules… pics or it didn’t happen.

02da427bc5b404dcab73d0a274cbb841.jpg

Awesome! I was looking at a car just like that before I got my Bullitt.

Have you pulled any plugs to see what they look like?

Basics first. Have you checked for spark? If you have sparking plugs you pretty much confirmed its a fuel issue.

Nice to see you're still around!

Plugs are wet with fuel. I am not getting spark. Got some schematics from another forum with information to check tonight.

I went with some MSD coils when I replaced mine. I was having a ton of issues. Just got my new tunes emailed, testing it out now.

Success, she starts and runs! Got a miss, I’m sure there’s dead plug or 2 or maybe a bad coil. I can troubleshoot that tomorrow. Most importantly it runs lol.

No wonder it won't run. There's toilet paper in the runners...

Found a few vacuum leaks and corrected. Big thing, I forgot to hook back up the vacuum line to the throttle body… lol

Quick test drive, still not right. Seems like it has a miss but not throwing any code other than O2 related stuff. I know from experience that they will run rich but shouldn’t affect anything else unless the 4v’s are different.

Ordered autolite plugs and gonna throw them in along with the coil covers that are currently off and see what difference that makes.

Nice. Are you running a stock tune? My car had a crazy MAF that was apparently making my car run super lean

Went old school and found the dead coil after it was still missing after changing plugs. Hopefully I can locate one in stock around town tomorrow.

Unsure on the tune. I’d venture to say stock but unsure.

Alot of places sell the coilsnin a pack, but a local store should have a generic single available.

These cars seem to be very particular with mods.

A tuner is probably a good investment. AM offers a "free tunes for life" package for like 100. It's nifty. Basically offer drop down boxes for intake, injectors, CAI, etc. You can also hit other and leave notes. They are not particularly quick about emailing the tune, however. That's my main gripe with their service. Takes about 5-7 days to receive. Wouldn't be as bad if you knew you were gonna order a part, to request a tune for it at same time.

Alot of places sell the coilsnin a pack, but a local store should have a generic single available.

These cars seem to be very particular with mods.

A tuner is probably a good investment. AM offers a "free tunes for life" package for like 100. It's nifty. Basically offer drop down boxes for intake, injectors, CAI, etc. You can also hit other and leave notes. They are not particularly quick about emailing the tune, however. That's my main gripe with their service. Takes about 5-7 days to receive. Wouldn't be as bad if you knew you were gonna order a part, to request a tune for it at same time.

Good info. Thanks.

Back