• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mach1Mark's '65 coupe restomod

"tarafied1" said:
getting excited? it's coming along!

Absolutely getting excited !! This whole build has been going exactly how I want it to.

Friday I did the final install of the brake/clutch pedal assy, the final install of the booster and master cylinder. Test fitted the new Unisteer rack and pinion. Some fabbing needed to clear some interferences. Otherwise I am very pleased and impressed with the steering assy.

Can't wait to see the end results.

Did you go with the manual or power R&P? (okay, if you posted somewhere else I am indeed being too lazy to look!) I bought their power set up several years back and have been chomping at the bit to finally mock it up. They did me a real sweet deal AND put a custom kit together due to several non-'66 parts in my car. Keep up the good work! :thu

"Ponyman66" said:
Can't wait to see the end results.

Did you go with the manual or power R&P? (okay, if you posted somewhere else I am indeed being too lazy to look!) I bought their power set up several years back and have been chomping at the bit to finally mock it up. They did me a real sweet deal AND put a custom kit together due to several non-'66 parts in my car. Keep up the good work! :thu

I decided on the power rack w/ a serp belt pulley.

Tonight, tryed out a new product/finishing method tonight. Rust Prevention Magic appied to bare metal and then heated with a heat gun.

Hood hinges (top=bare metal, bottom=treated w/ Rust Prevention Magic)

What is the Rust Prevention Magic? It looks almost like phosphate and oil.

"Midlife" said:

Thought the same thing. Sounds easier than the phosphating process. I've done some stuff already but need to door my hood latch and hinges.

Mark are the P/S pump mounting brackets that Unisteer provided gonna work for you? I know that with my application they wouldn't. I have to fab some new ones.

"Midlife" said:

Its a coating you apply to bare metal to prevent surface rust (like new front end parts, exhaust parts etc). No ingredients on the label. Consistancy like shoe polish and wax. Heat the clean part with a heat gun, apply product with clean paint brush, re-apply heat gun to melt product into metal part. Let cool. Wipe residue with clean rag. Ive done a few parts under the hood so Im waiting to see how long it takes before surface rust appears. According to the website and test docs that could be a long time. Here's hoping.

"Ponyman66" said:
Thought the same thing. Sounds easier than the phosphating process. I've done some stuff already but need to door my hood latch and hinges.

Mark are the P/S pump mounting brackets that Unisteer provided gonna work for you? I know that with my application they wouldn't. I have to fab some new ones.

Never planned on using the Unisteer brackets (they arent very confidence inspiring), Ive got a Ford bracket from a Fox body 5.0 that will probably work along with holding the A/C pump. Havent spent any time other than minimal looking at how it will work, just acquiring and cleaning the cast bracket.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon grinding and trimming the flanges of the lower control arm mounting points to allow clearance enough to attach the new power steering bracket. Today, I massaged some slotted holes into the steering bracket to allow the lower control arm pivot bolts to pass through the steering bracket and hold it tight against the control arm brackets. Assembled the steering rack a piece at a time onto the car, Tom Mc and I finally finished the puzzle.

where did you get the phosphate at? im curious..Im sandblasting my hinges and other things that might end up being that way

"fordrule" said:
where did you get the phosphate at? im curious..Im sandblasting my hinges and other things that might end up being that way

NPD sells the product but brace yourself . . . its a little pricey. I guess for what it does and how long you can stretch it the price is right.

Trimmed 1/2" off each side of the steering rack threaded rods, cleaned front rotors, filled new front bearings w/ grease and installed w/ new seals, installed steering rack half shaft, installed rebuilt front brake calipers.

Today, trimmed steering column and installed new shaft bearing, installed column in car; Tom Mc installed rear springs and I installed tires (axle ready to be installed under car); installed front brake hoses.

Today, adjusted the front coil over springs before attaching the front wheels, applied some more chassis black paint to the area around the leaf spring pocket/sub frame connectors, removed wooden cart and attached leaf spring front eye bolts (had some trouble with the rear eye bolts, finish soon).

Success ! Finally got the leaf spring shackles installed (and the stubborn poly bushings) completing the axle installation. The dinky 14x7 ET mags are what I used to run and they looked great (then) ! Now they just look cartoon-ish . . . good thing the new shoes are much larger. Installed the treated hood springs and bolts along with the 'glass hood (no more fears of the hood sliding off and crashing to the concrete floor), cleaned, polished and installed the chrome simulated scoops and one quarter extension.

Yesterday, attached sound deadener to the interior quarter trim panels. Today, installed the trunk weatherstrip (super glue) and adjusted trunk latch, installed front and rear window trim clips, did a test spray of palomino on the old headliner (settled: going to spray the new headliner), cleaned more greasy parts, media stripped and primer.

Yesterday, I ordered several small items to complete the rear of the car, Today, primered/painted a pair of small brackets and installed them between the fuel tank and the bumper, powder coated some nuts and bolts, media stripped some small parts, installed the original headliner bows into the new headliner and applied Palomino interior stain (pics soon . . . )

Friday, installed door locks, front coil spring covers, 12" piece of brake line in engine compartment, pass side quarter extension, front brake line clips, new tail light lenses & gaskets and installed the new headliner (edges need to be glued in place). Saturday massaged the trunk latch (some more) to close properly, continued modifying the gas tank filler neck to accomodate the new 22 gal tank (done), installed some of the hood latch support, removed mounting bracket from rear bumper and installed rubber door bumpers.

Back