• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mach1Mark's '65 coupe restomod

More wet sanding the clear coat today, worked on the pass side quarter panel and door with 1000 grit. My buddy Tom Mc polished the driver side quarter panel. Last week he polished the stock steel hood. These panels look really, really great.

Today I cleaned a few more small parts and installed the heater controls. Polished the fenders. Done. Applied some 'Rust Free' by Boeshield to a couple of areas of fresh surface rust underneath the car. Works incredible fast and converts the rust to an inert powder. Wipe and apply sealer/paint. A few more square feet (on the pass side) and the polishing will be done, when we finish the polishing and wash the residue off I will post some pics.

"tarafied1" said:
if I put that stuff on my 65, I'd have a lot of white powder... :confu

Just hit the affected area with some scotchbrite and some self-etching primer . . . :thu :thu

Today we finished buffing/polishing the clear coat and despite some imperfections I really love how the new paint job came out. Also disassembled the front disc brakes and spindles to R & R them. Tomorrow we power wash and wax.

Began installing the Street or Track coil over suspension this afternoon, pics when its done. And the big sway bar I ordered from Shaun arrived as well. MAN !, this bar is big !!

Come on man, you been updating this post way too many times without pictures. You can't tell about sweet SoT parts without showing them! :soapboxrant

Thursday I installed the new turn signal wiring harness and assembled the steering column. Also continued to assemble the restored heater box. Yesterday, applied POR 15 primer to several areas on the exterior floorpan that needed to be coated for rust/corrosion protection. Tom Mc has completely stripped the axle housing of paint and started powder coating the brake calipers & brackets. Today I reassembled the headlight buckets and continued assembling the steering wheel & hub. The new Addco 1 1/8" sway bar I ordered from Street or Track arrived yesterday.

Yesterday, installed the battery tray (first time one has been in the engine comp. in 20 years), test fitted the sway bar (had to open the holes and trim one bracket slightly (also stripped off the plating to allow powder coating). Today, powder coated misc suspension brackets & front rotors, installed the sway bar, installed the new 22 gal fuel tank, installed soundener on the roof and the cowl.

I ordered a conversion kit that will give me boosted brakes and a third pedal with an adjustable cable clutch. Cant wait to start the install this weekend.

"Mach1Mark" said:
I ordered a conversion kit that will give me boosted brakes and a third pedal with an adjustable cable clutch. Cant wait to start the install this weekend.
where did you order it from, looks good

"tarafied1" said:
where did you order it from, looks good

Craig, The kit is from MustangSteve.com (Steve Wilkes). He is a pretty clever Mustanger and I have wanted to covert my coupe to a 5 speed for many years. Ryan (Monkeystash) installed this same kit in his FB. I started the install this afternoon aand it went pretty much as expected. Drill some new holes, opened a couple up, re-configured the cowl floor above the clutch pedal. More tomorrow (better pics too).

The axle fill and drain plugs arrived today as well. They will be installed this week as well as one of the factory welds needs a little touch-up.

The box of parts from NPD was just some small things I need to keep the assembly moving along.

cool, thanks for the info. Looks great. I'm going with a T5 in my 65 so I will be watching this one closely!!!

"fordrule" said:
what brake booster is that and what master cylinder?

The M/C is from a 2000 Mustang V6 coupe w/o traction control and w/ 4 wheel disc brakes. I will have to check on the booster info.

Today I continued installing sound deadener on the firewall, front floorboards and tunnel. Installed the firewall pad, finish assembled the clutch/brake/hanger assemble, trial fitted the axle plugs. I installed the new rear brake lamp housings/gaskets and the trunk latch/brackets. Completed the rebuild of one of the rear axle calipers and disassembled the other rear caliper. He also prepped some of those parts for powder coating.

Yesterday, finished assembling the disc brakes on the axle (first time I've had the brakes all the way installed), added tail light lenses and bezels and weatherstrip on the cowl. Today, added 90w to axle and finished installing small parts (ready to install under car); bead blasted and primered some suspension parts; installed driver side air vent; massaged gas tank filler neck to fit new larger tank. Test fitted the old black dash pad; rebuilt front brake calipers (had to use NOS dust boots).

Back