• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mach1Mark's '65 coupe restomod

Got the motor and hedders re-installed in the Mustang. Lets hope that is the last time I need to do that for a while.

Trimmed the OEM shifter opening in the floor to give me a little more room to install the T-5 shifter. installed the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and adjusted the stops. Also installed a pair of new halogen headlights.

Attachments

• Initial floor cut.JPG
    Initial floor cut.JPG
    1,008.2 KB · Views: 33
  • initial floor opng.JPG
    initial floor opng.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • Final floor cut.JPG
    Final floor cut.JPG
    764.9 KB · Views: 32
  • TriAx shifter installed.JPG
    TriAx shifter installed.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Hmmm. Your shifter location appears to be at least an inch further toward than front than mine. Mine lined up damn near perfect in the stock hole. Granted I used adjustable mounts but I don't recall ever seeing anyone have to do that kind of butchering with a T5. Usually just a bit of trimming on the side of the stock hole. Trying to understand what is different with your situation.

Terry
I used adjustable motor mounts as well and the JBA headers seem to be the reason I had to move the motor forward. I was having a clearance problem between the driver side collector and the steering. tilted the motor a little and moved it forward. I was surprised at the need for as much trimming as I had to do. I had at least one other resto modder say he only had to trim about a three quarters of an inch from the original opening. Also, I didn't attach the shifter with the trans out of the car, I waited until I got everything installed. Probably the main reason for the size of the hole.

Thanks for the explanation, Mark. I'm just that kind of moron who tries to understand everything he can. Never know when it might come in useful. Save the comment {.}!
I wonder how tight things will end up on the front side. Have you seen/expect any issues with fan clearance? I know on mine I wouldn't have the room to spare.

Had a good day in the garage yesterday, installed the Hurst shifter and knob, installed the Bilstein shocks on the axle, installed a pair of 4 degree axle shims and installed the Caltracs traction bars. Also checked the brake lines near/on the axle for tightness.

Attachments

• Axle shims (2).JPG
    Axle shims (2).JPG
    703.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Hurst shifter (2).JPG
    Hurst shifter (2).JPG
    743.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Axle shim installed.JPG
    Axle shim installed.JPG
    820 KB · Views: 32
  • Front eye alum bushing (1).JPG
    Front eye alum bushing (1).JPG
    766.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Caltracs installed (2).JPG
    Caltracs installed (2).JPG
    585.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Caltracs installed (4).JPG
    Caltracs installed (4).JPG
    789 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
More progress today, started yesterday by degreasing the OEM transmission support and other various C4 parts. Had to mod the support to clear an interference on the new T-5 transmission. When I bolted the support to the T-5 it was like it was made to fit 50 years ago. And then the connection to the new custom trans support was perfect. Alll snug and ready for the driveshaft measurements I need.

Attachments

• OEM C4 trans mount modded (1).JPG
    OEM C4 trans mount modded (1).JPG
    533.4 KB · Views: 23
  • OEM C4 trans mount modded (2).JPG
    OEM C4 trans mount modded (2).JPG
    592.9 KB · Views: 24
  • OEM C4 trans mount modded (3).JPG
    OEM C4 trans mount modded (3).JPG
    604.7 KB · Views: 24
  • T-5 mount n suppt (1).JPG
    T-5 mount n suppt (1).JPG
    478.6 KB · Views: 26
  • T-5 mount n suppt (2).JPG
    T-5 mount n suppt (2).JPG
    803.3 KB · Views: 25
  • T-5 mount n suppt (3).JPG
    T-5 mount n suppt (3).JPG
    469.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Yay !! My stainless JBA H-pipe arrived today !! Cant wait to install it !!

Attachments

• JBA h-pipe (2).JPG
    JBA h-pipe (2).JPG
    632.4 KB · Views: 17
  • JBA h-pipe (1).JPG
    JBA h-pipe (1).JPG
    635.6 KB · Views: 20
The H-pipe is a real nice piece. I did need to grind a bit on my trans x-member to get it to tuck up tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Installed the H-pipe today and it fits but the transmission x-member needs to be modded to allow it to fit more tightly against the bottom of the car.

Attachments

• H-pipe installed (2).JPG
    H-pipe installed (2).JPG
    721.8 KB · Views: 27
  • H-pipe installed (3).JPG
    H-pipe installed (3).JPG
    837.4 KB · Views: 24
Last night I installed the new high torque mini starter. Bolts didnt want to cooperate but they eventually saw my way was the way it was going to be.

Attachments

• Starter installed (2).JPG
    Starter installed (2).JPG
    554.8 KB · Views: 14
  • New mini starter (2).JPG
    New mini starter (2).JPG
    850 KB · Views: 12
Yesterday I filled the oil pan with fresh Valvoline 50w racing oil, replaced the FL-1A filter with a new one and filled the transmission with ATF and additive. I also test fit the stainless band clamp on the H-pipe exhaust. Today, I installed the ground wire for the engine and a couple of other small tasks.

Attachments

• Engine block ground wire.JPG
    Engine block ground wire.JPG
    606.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Trans fillup technique (1).JPG
    Trans fillup technique (1).JPG
    516 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Today I finally finished installing the rear shocks (note: Bilstein shocks made in USA have METRIC threads !!). A couple of minor issues during the install process but I can check them off the list. Also removed the H-pipe to allow me to remove the transmission x-member. Had to remove the e-brake bracket as it interferred with the H-pipe. Will come up with a solution to a new e-brake bracket. Yesterday I did install the proper size stainless band clamp on the H-pipe. Fits perfectly.

Last edited:
Today I finished blending the finish on the x-member. Looks GREAT. I reinstalled the x-member and the H-pipe which now tucks up close to the underside of the car. Not sure how I can solve the e-brake bracket problem. Next up: re-set the motor mounts as it appears they aren't seated properly (my buddy Tom helped in this area while I was out-of-town). Im also going to attempt to move the motor rearward 1/2" in order to have some more room in front of the water pump.

After a long pause (due to unemployment), I ordered a new 4 core Champion brand aluminum radiator last week. It arrived Wednesday and I installed it tonight along with the sacrificial anode plug. Shouldnt have ANY cooling problems in the summer !!

Attachments

• New alum radiator.JPG
    New alum radiator.JPG
    706.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Radiator installed (1).JPG
    Radiator installed (1).JPG
    775.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Radiator installed (3).JPG
    Radiator installed (3).JPG
    740.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Sacrficial anode (1).JPG
    Sacrficial anode (1).JPG
    758.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Sacrficial anode (2).JPG
    Sacrficial anode (2).JPG
    834.1 KB · Views: 28
Time to get back on the horse and finish my resto-mod. Installed the last of the sound deadener yesterday.

Attachments

• Sound deadener (1).JPG
    Sound deadener (1).JPG
    918.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Sound deadener (2).JPG
    Sound deadener (2).JPG
    871 KB · Views: 23
Over the last few weeks I have come to the conclusion that I would have to replace my new, hi-flow water pump with a standard flow Ford Racing pump that is 1.5" shorter in order to accommodate the electric fan. The thinnest electric fan Ive found is by Maradyne and it measures 16" dia x 2 7/8" deep. Today I installed the fan and test fit the new water pump.

Attachments

• New pump n fan (1).JPG
    New pump n fan (1).JPG
    755.4 KB · Views: 26
  • New pump n fan (6).JPG
    New pump n fan (6).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • New pump n fan (8).JPG
    New pump n fan (8).JPG
    751.1 KB · Views: 26
  • New pump n fan (9).JPG
    New pump n fan (9).JPG
    803.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Last Sunday I started to loosen the coil shock mount bolts on one side to begin the install of the export brace. Didn't know it would entail having to pull the shock. Today got the shock on the other side out and loosely installed all the export brace bolts. Then tightened them. Since the shocks are out I am going to take this opportunity to clean the surfaces inside the fenders. They are covered with over a year of shop grime from when the Colt was still at my buddy Tom's shop after paint. Also made a wire model of the needed lower radiator hose, went to O'Reillys and found a suitable hose. Trimmed it and test fit. Perfect fit.

Attachments

• Export brace installed (2).JPG
    Export brace installed (2).JPG
    596.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Export brace installed (3).JPG
    Export brace installed (3).JPG
    667.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Gates hose 21034.JPG
    Gates hose 21034.JPG
    729.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Lower radiator hose.JPG
    Lower radiator hose.JPG
    608.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Wire model.JPG
    Wire model.JPG
    931.4 KB · Views: 20
Today I installed the passenger side rear seat quarter trim panel. Checked the installation of the rear quarter window for fit and travel. Installed windlace trim. Reinstalled pass side coil over shock after cleaning all the parts and inside the fender.

Attachments

• Cleaned pass side susp.JPG
    Cleaned pass side susp.JPG
    611.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Pass side quarter trim.JPG
    Pass side quarter trim.JPG
    839.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Rear seat installed.JPG
    Rear seat installed.JPG
    826.3 KB · Views: 23
Back