• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mach1Mark's '65 coupe restomod

Great progress as usual buddy. Sorry, I meant to tell you about that little bit of grinding on the block needed for the headers.

Thanks, Ryan. When I discovered the interference your name didnt come to mind even though I know you used the same headers on the same engine.

My best buddy Tom Mc mounted my motor on his test stand this week and installed several parts. Thanks, Tom !! Today we put some of the last pieces on my motor in preparation of initial start-up. Still need the mini starter and ignition computer control box. Tom says we could be breaking it in if I had all the pieces I needed.

Attachments

• Test stand (1).JPG
    Test stand (1).JPG
    784.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Test stand (2).JPG
    Test stand (2).JPG
    717.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Looking good Mark! Your friend's test stand just gave me an idea of what I can do to re-purpose the radiator from the '92 donor car I got my 5.0 from!!!

Yesterday, my buddy Tom Mc fired up my new motor for the first time. He reported it turned over 3-4 times and then fired off. Break-in was short and sweet due to the roller cam. Today, we did some mods to the MSD distributor (changed the weight stop to a smaller size and replaced the stock advance springs to a lighter set). The video I took shows Tom checking the timing advance and it is right where it should be at 36 degrees @ 2000 rpm. Also powder coated the motor mounts and trans support in clear. The trans suppt turned yellow so we will be stripping it and try again. All-in-all a great day. I'm very pleased with my new motor.

Attachments

• Motor mounts powdercoated.JPG
    Motor mounts powdercoated.JPG
    672.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Trans suppt powdercoated.JPG
    Trans suppt powdercoated.JPG
    580.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Yesterday, my buddy Tom Mc fired up my new motor for the first time. He reported it turned over 3-4 times and then fired off. Break-in was short and sweet due to the roller cam. Today, we did some mods to the MSD distributor (changed the weight stop to a smaller size and replaced the stock advance springs to a lighter set). The video I took shows Tom checking the timing advance and it is right where it should be at 36 degrees @ 2000 rpm. Also powder coated the motor mounts and trans support in clear. The trans suppt turned yellow so we will be stripping it and try again. All-in-all a great day. I'm very pleased with my new motor.

Video?

:-D
Im pretty happy with the result. The video doesnt do it justice. You get a much more viceral feeling standing next to it. Cant wait to get it fully installed in my Mustang, the T-5 should be ready this month.

So where are you at now, Mark, on projected completion date? When will you get it on the road? It can't be too much further out.

Six months ago I thought I'd be done around April, now I think July is more likely. Last week I bought the bell housing and flywheel. Tonight I bought the clutch and pressure plate. The T-5 should be ready in a couple of weeks. Driveshaft once ordered will take less than a week. Punch list still has all the wiring, complete fuel lines, front seats and carpet, tires & wheels, Caltracs, front end alignment and a bunch of small items. It's great to see the end after almost three years of work every weekend. I'm thinking I want to bring the Colt home to finish final assembly. Right now it's a 20-30 min drive to the shop. If he was at home I could do the small things when I have a little time rather than having to plan anything before I drive over there. It's been great to have a complete shop to work in with all the tools I don't have at my disposal. And I'm looking forward to driving my Mustang places with my Mustang buddy Tom and his pony.

Six months ago I thought I'd be done around April, now I think July is more likely. Last week I bought the bell housing and flywheel. Tonight I bought the clutch and pressure plate. The T-5 should be ready in a couple of weeks. Driveshaft once ordered will take less than a week. Punch list still has all the wiring, complete fuel lines, front seats and carpet, tires & wheels, Caltracs, front end alignment and a bunch of small items. It's great to see the end after almost three years of work every weekend. I'm thinking I want to bring the Colt home to finish final assembly. Right now it's a 20-30 min drive to the shop. If he was at home I could do the small things when I have a little time rather than having to plan anything before I drive over there. It's been great to have a complete shop to work in with all the tools I don't have at my disposal. And I'm looking forward to driving my Mustang places with my Mustang buddy Tom and his pony.
I've got a fairly similar list to go on mine as well. I am giving myself until May. Two months to get it done.My challenge is my job. I've been on the road a lot more lately which is leaving me only weekends which get taken away by other household duties, etc. No excuses though. I will be done in time to have a few weeks of "shakedown" runs before the Power Tour. I do find with each thing checked of the list the desire to do more grows.

Keep plugging away! It will be an awesome ride when done.

Got home tonight after being away for four days and found boxes of transmission parts !!!

Attachments

• Trans parts (1).JPG
    Trans parts (1).JPG
    620.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Trans parts (2).JPG
    Trans parts (2).JPG
    944.3 KB · Views: 12
Back