• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel filler Mods

Yep. Still happy with mine.....since I switched it from the car I sold.

I did have a problem the other day. The station nozzle had a crappy spring on it. The end going into the tank was separated and for some reason, it hooked in the hole the nozzle enters. The flow shut off and the nozzle would not come out. Had to turn it a bit as if un-screwing it.

Pete,
I was thinking on the next one, I'd try to put a bevel on the hole (inward). Do you think that would have helped in that situation?

I doubt it. Look at the spring on the nozzle. The end that should be flattened against the next coil was loose. It was just a matter of it slid past the opening as the nozzle went in. About the only thing I see that would stop that is a precise size on the nozzle and opening......but then the next nozzle might be a bit different.....

Hope you can understand that.

yeah, I do. I did switch to a smaller hole since I made yours. John's is the latest and greatest version.

"tarafied1" said:
yeah, I do. I did switch to a smaller hole since I made yours. John's is the latest and greatest version.

what is the current diameter of the hole you use now? I was going to spend some time on the lathe and mill this weekend making the "watchmaker version" of the filler mod.

"ko67" said:
what is the current diameter of the hole you use now? I was going to spend some time on the lathe and mill this weekend making the "watchmaker version" of the filler mod.

Must.....refrain....from.....mucking...up....this.....thread.

"silverblueBP" said:
Must.....refrain....from.....mucking...up....this.....thread.
:ecit
I was afraid of the consequences of using the word "hole"

it's 7/8" diameter orifice.

"tarafied1" said:
:ecit
I was afraid of the consequences of using the word "hole"

it's 7/8" diameter orifice.

I don't think that using the term "orifice" is much better!!

well, to make Mark happy we could call the whole thing a "fuel sphincter" but I am not sure Craig would approve.

"ko67" said:
well, to make Mark happy we could call the whole thing a "fuel sphincter" but I am not sure Craig would approve.
a fuel filler is where you insert fuel therefore sphi... :eek oh, never mind.

seriously though, I can't wait to see the watchmaker version! be sure to post some pics.

This thread got pulled up at a handy time. My husband filled up Gertrude tonight for our little trip tomorrow... and he got gas all over the place. I heard him say $H!T!! I yelled out the window .. back splash got ya huh. Oh man, it was priceless. :vic

open cap, remove one bolt, 4 screws, two clamps, twist and pull, reverse for install. He takes the filler neck and adds the piece inside. All you are doing is changing the neck. Works good if you have an extra to send in so it can be modified and you can still drive yours.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Tempting, but $ is limited and I would have no idea how to change it out. :amaz
Kat, I'm not doing this for profit. The deal is, send me one and $10 to ship it back and I'll do it. I'm not making money on this, just helping out the SFer's! It's the least I can do for all the help I get around here. Now if a crap load start showing up that could change but so far I have only done a dozen or so. I travel too so I recommend you send a spare one so your car is not down waiting on me. And as Pete says it's pretty easy, lot easier than fenders and bumpers and I know you can do that!

Ah well cool deal. :vic I'll have to see if I can't find a spare one first or buy a new one that way I can still drive Gertrude around.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Ah well cool deal. :vic I'll have to see if I can't find a spare one first or buy a new one that way I can still drive Gertrude around.

I believe one of the ones that Craig did for me was actually a 65-66. I will take a picture of it. I was going to cut it down to use with a larger tank. If it is a 65-66, then I will send it to you and you send yours to Craig to do for me. My bigger tank project is on hold for a few months.

Back