• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel filler Mods

tarafied1

okay, I tried today to make a fuel filler neck like the newer cars with a smaller hole. I cut some flat stock, left tabs on either side (for support). One large and one smaller. Then sliced into the neck with my sawsall halfway on one side and small notch with dremmel on the other. Slid the disk in for test fit, then cut the hole, and welded it in. My welds weren't too pretty so I ground them smooth. Here it is:
72_09_09_09_12_38_03_0.jpg

72_09_09_09_12_38_03_1.jpg

72_09_09_09_12_38_03_2.jpg

72_09_09_09_12_38_04_3.jpg

72_09_09_09_12_38_05_4.jpg

72_09_09_09_12_39_14_0.jpg

72_09_09_09_12_39_14_1.jpg

what do ya think? Havn't installed it yet... Hope it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be a bit presumptuous here, but this just may qualify for the StangFix-ORP award for engineering.

WTG Craig :toot

Assuming it works :hide

I just went up to the BP with a 1/4 tank. I filled up at full blast! No splash!!!
72_09_09_09_2_36_01.jpg

keep in mind we don't have those smog nozzles in KY...

"tarafied1" said:

That was going to be my comment--I wonder how this would work with OUR pumps. Would the auto-shutoff still prevent proper filling? You'll need to take a road trip to CA and try it out. :gs

Frank

"crustycurmudgeon" said:
That was going to be my comment--I wonder how this would work with OUR pumps. Would the auto-shutoff still prevent proper filling? You'll need to take a road trip to CA and try it out. :gs

Frank

or... maybe I make another one and send it to you for testing?

I should make you a deal, testing and exchange or something. I hate to charge anything and not know if it will work on most pumps. It worked great here but each station could be another story...

"tarafied1" said:
I'm working with limited resourses here!

Ok. I'll cut you some slack. The flap would only impede a funnel anyway. Just yankin' your chain :naug

I do have a spare filler neck I picked up when I was thinking of doing azpete's mod...I just need to have someone else do the welding for me.

Frank

I like that. How hard would it be to remove that section of a newer filler and section it in, flapper door and all?

"tarafied1" said:
I just went up to the BP with a 1/4 tank. I filled up at full blast! No splash!!!
72_09_09_09_2_36_01.jpg

GET THAT THING PATENTED! :wor

I noticed in one of your "assembled" pics that the plate had a small (1/8" ?) hole in it. Was that intended as some sort of vent? Or just a coincidence?
----------------
Currently playing on the Rock Show: George Harrison - While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Live)

"Sacbill" said:
GET THAT THING PATENTED! :wor

I noticed in one of your "assembled" pics that the plate had a small (1/8" ?) hole in it. Was that intended as some sort of vent? Or just a coincidence?
----------------
Currently playing on the Rock Show: George Harrison - While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Live)
The 1/8" (good eyes) hole is a drain in case some fuel would get on the gas cap side of the plate. That way it can drain back into the tank. It will also double as a vent I guess...
"AzPete" said:
I like that. How hard would it be to remove that section of a newer filler and section it in, flapper door and all?
That was my original plan actually but the few I found at the "U-Pull-It" were plastic. If you know of a doner car that's metal let me know and I'll look for one.

Back