• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel filler Mods

It looks like you could use the F150 filler behind a pop open cap or in the trunk.....???? I'll have to see what I can find in a Yard. Um, maybe there are other brands doing this. I wonder which ones? Did Ford try it out on the otehr brands first? Like Lincoln? Or one of their cars?

Mel

Honestly, if the mod as-is works as well on a routine basis the way Pete described it, I'm going with the stock pop-open cap and the plunger seal vice the inner twist cap. The F-150 would take this to a whole 'nother level.

"guruatbol" said:
It looks like you could use the F150 filler behind a pop open cap or in the trunk.....???? I'll have to see what I can find in a Yard. Um, maybe there are other brands doing this. I wonder which ones? Did Ford try it out on the otehr brands first? Like Lincoln? Or one of their cars?

Not sure if any of the brands outside the ford stable are doing it, but according to Ford:
Easy Fuel was introduced on the 2008 Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer, and will be offered as standard equipment on the all-new 2009 Ford F-150, Ford Flex and Lincoln MKS.

I sat and stared at the picture til it dawned on me the flapper door seals tight against the body, those alleviating the need for a cap. Since new cars are pressurized fuel-systems, I wondered how the heck they did that without a cap, then it dawned on me...the door IS the cap.

Since we need our tanks to vent, technically this would be no different than having a pop-open fuel door, with no cap behind it. The Ford system has a flapper door that would keep splash back from being a problem during driving. This would continue to be a problem on a classic mustang with no real cap.

Hmm, didn't notice that, good eyes.

In regard to the classic mustang, if the fuel filler mod design here is sufficient to stop backsplash against the cap, then I see no need for the extra inner cap on the pop-open cap.

I fueled mine up again yesterday and I attempted about 80% nozzle. What I noticed was that with the pop open cap you have to keep the nozzle clocked to about the 5 or 7 O'clock positions since the cap is sitting on the bumper (on a gas station paper towel). It was flowing good, but when it was full it splashed before it shut off, spilling a little, a lot less than I used to spill.

Rick,
Your initial feedback was that fuel was coming back out thru the drain hole. Is that still the case? On Pete's I put a "deflecter" based on your comments. I'm hoping that the deflector solves that issue. Mine does like you stated and I get a little splash with autoshut-off at full blast. I have the pop-open cap too. I'm going to pull mine and add the deflector like I did for Pete and see if that helps. So far Pete's is the only non 67/68 and has a different shape too so I don't know if that factors in.
On another note, the Mercury Milan rental car I have this week also has the no cap filler. I will be inspecting it quite closely at the hotel tonight. It would be a shame if someody steals it!

With it sitting sideways, could you still get the fuel nozzle all the way into the neck? The fuel nozzle I used seemed to want to hit when sideways and not allow allow full insertion.

the gas stations down here don't have the rubber booty on them so "full incertion" could be pretty deep! But yes sideways works but still get a little splash when full.

Our stations have the rubber splash shields is all. Full insertion is up to the spring on the nozzle.

I just did another fill up. Worked great on full flow and auto cut off with no splash back. I was able to put in about .4 gals. after the initial shut off. Looks like it works for me.

I would say the way mine was made will work good......at least it has been good for me thru several fillups.....

I think the Pete version is probably the best and most practicle. I have not yet pulled mine out to update it but that is my plan.

I've had a couple requests on these, if you want one PM me. I'm only asking that you send me one for your car and $10 to cover shipping it back to you. When you PM me I'll give you my address.

So what exactly is the final version of this? How many inches from the top (outer) edge is the plate welded in? What size is the center hole and vent hole? Is there a vent hole on top and drain on bottom? I'm assuming the splash back tab is on the bottom only?

Thanks,
Doug

"classicdoug" said:
So what exactly is the final version of this? How many inches from the top (outer) edge is the plate welded in? What size is the center hole and vent hole? Is there a vent hole on top and drain on bottom? I'm assuming the splash back tab is on the bottom only?

Thanks,
Doug
Doug,
It's roughly an inch and a half into the neck, the center hole is drilled at 7/8" and cleaned up with a Dremmel. It's a nice fit on the unleaded nozzle. Vent/drain hole is 1/8" on the bottom only. It vents as you fill and if any fuel gets on the outer side it can drain back, the splash back tab is about 1/2" behind the vent/drain hole.

Got Marco's (65coupei6) filler done. It's the first repop neck I've done. It's for a 65/66 and done just like Pete's.

I sent mine off to Craig and got it back. Will be a another couple months before I am able to test it out but its installed and looks great.

427_29_04_10_9_05_02_2.jpg

It does look good. I just recently found out that with this mod, putting gas in with some can types will not work. I drained my tank to work on the sending unit and had to use a funnel with the can due to the "modern" can pour spout. The cans spout would not reach the large nozzle hole. Not a problem, just something to be aware of. I would have the same problem on a couple other newer cars I checked it out on also so it is the cans problem area, not the filler neck.

I have installed it and after 2 fill ups, no back splash, I can also insert the nozzle and fill without holding onto the nozzle. My wife did get back splash when she filled it up, but she kept try to put more in after it had clicked off.

I'd say that it is a success and a great improvement.

468_17_09_10_1_21_50.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback. I think some pumps must have a slightly smaller diameter. I have countless fill-ups on mine and some splash a little and others don't. I did the power tour, 8 states and many gas stations. I didn't run into any problems. It's hard to get it 100% dry because the angle is perpendicular to the ground unlike newer cars which are tilted but I think it's a lot better!

Back