• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wiring up Neutral safety and back-up lights on TKO

tarafied1

The car was a 67 C code auto trans car. I'm putting the TKO in behind the 502 (429) and I got the pedals installed. I'm using a hydraulic clutch. The trans has a sending unit on it which I believe is for the back-up lights. What kind of switch do I need for the pedal? How would I wire it?
IMG_4286.jpg
IMG_2409.jpg

You jumper the NSS at the firewall. No need for a pedal switch unless you truly want one. They didn't come that way back in the days.

the neutral safety switch location is on the tail shaft of the trans marked number 1. number 2 is the back up switch.

connect the two wires from the old trans NS to the switch on the new trans. I can't tell if the mechanical switch is present in yours or not form the pic. You may need to get one and install. For the back up switch same deal. Wires can connect to either pin for both switches.
Untitled.jpg

that's cool. I never even noticed the the one marked #1. So trans in neutral will work the #1 switch? I'll have to check if there is anything in there.

Yep. Same set-up (although different location) on a T5. Use it in mine. The switch is just a spring-loaded, mechanical ball type. Switch with pigtail harness is about $40. Just screws in for simple install.

So which ones are NSS and witch are reverse lights? I have what appears to be red/orange with a black stripe and black with a red stripe.
2e4bc2daed188699a2fa7884730621bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks, so do you think I can use this switch for a NSS? It's designed (from what I have read) to tell the computer/cruise control that the car is in neutral as the Fox Mustangs with T5's actually had a clutch switch that kept it from starting unless you press in the pedal. But I don't know if i would burn up this switch using it as a NSS...
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-15525A/neutral-sensing-switch-t5-8395

That's the standard switch used in the T5's (in my trans right now) and I'm pretty sure the TKOs. It is correct for your application. It's a simple contact switch. No worries about problems. Same function as in your old C6. Doesn't matter which wire connects to which pin/wire.

where did you get the switch? I went to the Auto parts stores and they don't show it. I can find it online but I don't want to wait!!!

Back