• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

She left me walking for the 1st time. Help.

OK...are you getting any spark out of the distributor? Bad rotor? Cracked cap? Missing coil to dizzy wire? Out of gas?

Not saying this is any help.....but why not check for spark at the plugs first....then work back from there. I always try to start at the last place the item is expected to work and then trace back to where things stop working.

So, why not stick a plug on a plug wire...crank it over and see if there is spark there. If there is, no issue with the coil or distributor or power to them.

Timing jumped¿¿¿

Long shot but possible broken timing chain?

I'd try what AzPete mentioned, pull a plug, keep it plugged into the plug wire and place it somewhere it will groud on like the fender apron. The crank the engine and watch for an arch/spark.

I can remember well each time John has diagnosed, over the phone, a bad coil and a bad condensor leaving me stranded. Slept in the car in a PEP Boys parking lot one time trying to figure it out.

"AzPete" said:
Not saying this is any help.....but why not check for spark at the plugs first....then work back from there. I always try to start at the last place the item is expected to work and then trace back to where things stop working.

So, why not stick a plug on a plug wire...crank it over and see if there is spark there. If there is, no issue with the coil or distributor or power to them.

Timing jumped¿¿¿

I tried that ( thought I posted but didn't ) and no spark. I pulled the first plug on drivers side and placed in on fender apron and turned it over = no spark. I replaced plug and stuck a spark plug sized Phillips screw driver into the plug wire and placed it on the intake next to a manifold bolt trying to get it to arch but again no spark. New rotor and dizzy cap has about 600 miles on it. :dun

With the cap and rotor off.....do you see spark when the points open as it is cranked¿¿¿

If the cap is off it won't spark.

If the rotor isn't spinning, could be a broken timing chain, or chewed up cam/distributor gear.

If it is spinning I'd guess the coil went bad. If you have a spare coil or know someone that has a classic car that would let you use theirs to test your system that would save you buying a new one if only to test your system.

"LATAMUD" said:
If the cap is off it won't spark.

If the rotor isn't spinning, could be a broken timing chain, or chewed up cam/distributor gear.

If it is spinning I'd guess the coil went bad. If you have a spare coil or know someone that has a classic car that would let you use theirs to test your system that would save you buying a new one if only to test your system.
The rotor is spinning and I've already replaced the coil ( that was one of the first things I tried)

After market tach? If so it could be bad or shorting out to ground causing no spark. Had it happen to me in the past.

"Grabber70Mach" said:
After market tach? If so it could be bad or shorting out to ground causing no spark. Had it happen to me in the past.
Yep..after market tach.

What I like to do when this comes up is pull the coil wire from the cap and lay it close to ground 1/8" to 1/4" and with the power on, spin the motor to see if you get a jump/spark. This test takes the cap, rotor wires and plugs out of it.

Let me grab my neighbors car hauler and get that old broken crate out of your driveway....no more worries for you. Won' t even charge you for hauling it off.....

"AzPete" said:
Let me grab my neighbors car hauler and get that old broken crate out of your driveway....no more worries for you. Won' t even charge you for hauling it off.....
Tempting Pete...but then you would be back in the same boat you were in....crawling around these old girls trying to keep 'em running.

"Opentracker" said:
What I like to do when this comes up is pull the coil wire from the cap and lay it close to ground 1/8" to 1/4" and with the power on, spin the motor to see if you get a jump/spark. This test takes the cap, rotor wires and plugs out of it.
Took the lead wire from into the coil and taped it to the fender apron appr. 1/8" from contact. Spun the car over a few times and no spark/jump at all.

"70 StangMan" said:
"Opentracker" said:
Took the lead wire from into the coil and taped it to the fender apron appr. 1/8" from contact. Spun the car over a few times and no spark/jump at all.

Do you want the wire into the coil or the wire out to the dizzy?

"jims6t6" said:
"70 StangMan" said:
"Opentracker" said:

Do you want the wire into the coil or the wire out to the dizzy?
I took the wire from the the coil and unplugged it from the cap. That was the way I took it.

Sounds like your coil or your input or output of the coil is bad.

"Midlife" said:
Sounds like your coil or your input or output of the coil is bad.
I guess I'll try a brand new one tomorrow. I took the one that had very few miles on it and had in my break down bag as a back-up and replaced the one I was running when she crapped out, but who knows maybe that one took a dive as well. At least with a new one it might change something.

Back