• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Saleen clones

kaitan

So... I am thinking about doing my '91 vert. up as a Saleen clone since I love the look of them, and was reading some of the posts. Got a question for the authenticity police. :rulz What is and is not "socially acceptable" to do as far as these things go? I assume no faked-up firewall or gear shifter plates but anything else that might get me in trouble? :no Not trying to do an exact replica but was hoping to at least use a windshield banner and maybe the deck lid decals, along with the side stripes. Is this within the OK?

I am only speaking to "clones" in general. I think most accept any level of detail as long as you don't try to pass it off as the real deal. For example, I was at a MCA show parked next to a 65 GT350 clone. The MCA judges looked it over pretty well because he even had the Shelby data plate over the VIN. He (the owner) was quick to point out to them that it was NOT a real Shelby and that he made the plate to look real but it had the original non-Shelby VIN# stamped in it. It was a very accurate clone down to the last detail but the judges were still impressed with the restoration and didn't seam bothered once he cleared up that it was not real.
I'm sure no matter what you do, some one will be offended. Build it the way you want and just be honest when people ask. My car is quite clearly NOT a Shelby, but many younger people and even some older folks who just don't know any better ask "Is it a Shelby?" I'm always quick to explain that it is not a Shelby but I made it into what I liked.

I agree with Tarafied.
I own both a 67 GT500 clone and a 97 Saleen clone, so you can see where my bias is.
I can't really speak to car show etiquette, but I would likely enter it in a "modified" class, rather than the real-deal class.
These are "tribute" cars, and to me it shows that an owner highly respects the original, but for any number of reasons can't or chooses not to own an original.
I'm tied in with the Saleen Club of America and I find the vast majority of true Saleen owners really appreciate a good replica...with the caveat that owners don't try to pass them off as the real deal.

Thanks guys, that was pretty much what I was thinking, and hoping for. Absolutely not try to deceive anyone, but I really do like the look. I wish I could afford the real thing -- maybe someday. Thanks also for putting up with my stupid question. Now I just need to figure out how I want to go about it... :pbj Anyone know of a source for the white 5 star Saleen wheels with the chrome rim? Those really make the look in my opinion, especially on a white car.

Back