• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Remove front bumper?

DeWalt.. gotcha. What is the minimum Amp I should get? I'd like to be able to use it for a wide range of things on the mustang.

I don't know from personal experience but I have read on this site that more power is always better when buying new toys.

Don't know about rating but mine shown here is a DW400, 10000 rpm. Two other and as important items to get is the disc sanding attachment as well as a couple of the wire brush wheels. I probably use the sanding disc attachment 90% of the time followed by the wire brush and least used is the cut off blade that is attached to the saw in this pic.

4_30_08_10_8_15_54.JPG

Just to clarify Kat, by reading your last two posts it seams as though you pulled the trigger on a Grinder?

Please fill us in, we like new toys, even if it's someone else playing with them.

I have the 10 amp dewalt and i like it a lot. Ive used it for cut off wheels, wire brushes, grinding wheel, sanding flap disk, and even a diamond blade to cut concrete/ Brick work. The thing works great, and even at 10 amps the blade can still bind every now and then, but it has plenty of power to do whatever you want. FYI, a diamond blade cuts plastic real nice. Just my .02

"Kats66Pny" said:
Yes, I'm going to break down and buy a grinder. Probably the DeWalt 7amp one.

Before you decide on a grinder based on price and what the internet has to say about them, (Trust me, the money part is always a big deciding factor for me as well but the cost of surgery for wrist related injuries are going up too.) head down to the local hardware store and WO-man handle the grinders that you have in mind. They come in a couple of different styles, especially the triggers. I received tons of help from all the folks here when I was looking for a grinder and they opened my eyes to some of the things to keep in mind. One of the main things when trying out the grinders is holding them in positions that you will most likely be using it in and deciding if you are comfortable. Good luck Kat, and let us know what you end up getting.

If money is an issue and there is a Harbor Freight nearby, you might consider the 4 1/2" HD angle grinder that's on sale for 20 bucks. I'm not a big fan of Harbor Freight tools but they do have some that are worth the money. At work we do some metal fabrication and the Milwaukee grinder we had burned out in the middle of a job. There was a HF across the street from where we were working so I sent a guy over to buy a grinder to finish the job. That was a year and a half ago and the grinder is still going and is used almost daily.

I have this one...it's only 5.5 AMP, but I LOVE it:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Grinders/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xjvZbauq/R-100529101/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Here's why I love it...First it's trigger Grip...I do not like the ones with switches...just a personal bias, and I believe they are a safety consideration. Second, the trigger-grip swivels into 3 different positions, and the forward handle unscrews and moves into different positions. The problem with "fixed' style grinders is that they make GREAT grinding tools, but when you try to use it as a cutoff tool, you start having to twist yourself into weird contortions to get exactly where you want. This one gives you more flexibility in allowing you to change the shape of the tool to allow for easier access to places.

My first grinder was the 20 dollar Harbor Freight special...That thing worked fine, but it chatters your teeth of of their sockets, and I never was happy with it being switch operated. Later I went ahead and got this one for 40, and couldn't be more pleased. I gave my HF special to another stangfixer, and as far as I know it still works. Mine got abused, but it kept on ticking.

Abe's suggestion of getting to the hardware store and seeing for yourself how they feel is a good one. You want one you're comfortable holding and working with. Angle grinders can be pretty dangerous, so wear your gloves, (Not yard gloves...good mechanics gloves if you have them) have GOOD eye protection, and I'd also suggest a face shield. And, umm, always wait for the wheel to spin down before setting the tool back down. Or so I've heard :shy

And, umm, always wait for the wheel to spin down before setting the tool back down. Or so I've heard
I usually drag my finger in the hub to slow my air grinder wheel before putting it down, then one day the wheel spun off and flew across the garage.... :fbomb

"AtlantaSteve" said:
And, umm, always wait for the wheel to spin down before setting the tool back down. Or so I've heard :shy

+1. I made the mistake of putting it down one while it was spinning, and I wasn't paying attention to where I was putting it. I set it down on the power cord, cut partway through the cord and threw the breaker. It's pretty easy to replace the power cords on the Makita side grinders...

I made the mistake of putting it down one while it was spinning

Yep, BTDT. I did it ONCE with my big 30 pound lower speed 7" grinder.... the kind where the grinding wheel slowly comes to a stop. Man-handling that big/heavy grinder is a chore and when you let go of the trigger your arms are usually so tired that all you can think about is relieving them of that weight.

So yeah.... I wasn't paying attention and laid the edge of the spinning grinding wheel onto the top of my thigh. This was 20 years ago and the scar from where the grinding wheel cut a 4" long/ 1/8" wide chunk of skin out of my leg is still visible today. No major blood vessels were cut, but I remember it was not fun cleaning the grit out of the gash.

"AtlantaSteve" said:
Abe's suggestion of getting to the hardware store and seeing for yourself how they feel is a good one. You want one you're comfortable holding and working with. Angle grinders can be pretty dangerous, so wear your gloves, (Not yard gloves...good mechanics gloves if you have them) have GOOD eye protection, and I'd also suggest a face shield. And, umm, always wait for the wheel to spin down before setting the tool back down. Or so I've heard :shy

+1 here
Some good advice from these two guys here. ( Abe and AtlantaSteve )
I had at the age of 14 a big one in my hands.(grinder of course !! ) and had to sqeeuze the handles when turning it on !!They can be dangerous !! Also look at the rotation when grinding an edge.It always has to slide of the material and not the other way because it can suddenly bind in the material depending whats on the grinder.
I know terrible explaination and if anybody can translate it , please do so !! No offends , its about safety !!

"68bucks" said:
If your trashing the bumper, just put a cutting wheel on your grinder and cut them puppies off.

exactly what i did when the bolts wouldnt move.. just cut the bolts right off!! :rp

One other little safety thing.. be careful around your glass with grinding. Somewhere in my coupes prior life someone did a lot of grinding working on the car and really pitted the glass.

Doubt that will be an issue working on your bumper, but something to keep in mind when you are grinding something and seeing the metal fly!

I used the heck out of my air grinder and cut off wheels on this project.

Back