• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Recommendations - HEI Distributor (coil in cap)

Aussie67

This topic has probably already been done to death, but I'm looking for recommendations to replace my existing HEI coil in cap distributor. I Like the one wire hook up so am looking for something similar. Not looking for one of the $50 Chinese knock offs, but don't want to spend $1000 either.

Engine is 302W and is a cruiser, not a bruiser.

Any thoughts?

Thought you didn't want Chinese stuff? That one is. That's pretty much all Proform markets. That said, that is all that's out there anymore. I use Pertronix stuff and am a big fan. Very well made and performance is excellent. Separate coil though. You do get multi-spark and rev limiting though.

Thanks I wasn't sure if Proform manufactured or just retails.

Yeah I'm aware Pertronix has a big following, but I'm keen on not having the separate coil.

Any suggestions?

I don't know if Proform gets involved in the design or manufacturing of their stuff in China or not. They have gotten large enough that they might. Even then, its typically just tweaks companies have made to a Chinese designed (copied) product that then gets their branding. Tons of people use the stuff. I'm pretty sure I have a tool or two of theirs, like a valve spring compressor or such. Nothing on an engine.

Seems like a lot of companys sell these. Happy to part with the dollars if I can find a reliable unit.

OK folks, let's hear the suggestions.

Cool, I didn't know they made a HEI style dizzy, Glad you found something you're comfortable running.

Last edited:
Need some help guys and before you say it, I know I should have asked twice.

Does anyone know if you get a cast iron drive gear for the Pertronix (D1352) distributor? I have a non roller/ cast iron flat tappet cam. Prior to buying it I did ask about the drive gear and was told it was compatible. The instructions that came with it, only mention steel, doesn't mention melonised.

Even Summit suggests steel is ok, but I have always understood cast cam = cast drive.

Camshaft Material​
Composite​
Bronze​
Cast Iron​
Melonized or Hardened Steel​
Cast Iron (Flat Tappet Cams)
X​
X​
X​
Ductile Iron (Roller Cams)
X​
X​
Billet Steel (Roller Cams)
X​
X​
X (Melonized Only)​

I have searched on the interweb and can't seem to find any cast iron drives for these.

Does anyone know where I can get one or if there is a compatible alternate?

All help appreciated.

Tony

Last edited:
I too had a cast non-roller cam in an engine and ran a Flamethrower II billet unit for a while with the stock gear that came on it without any issue. Based on that experience I think you are fine.

Could someone give Pretronix a call for me and ask them to confirm what the gear drive is made from and suitably for the cast Cam please?

Their web site doesn't offer a cast drive option.

Spoke with Frank in Pertronix tech department. He confirmed the gear on that distributor is hardened steel. It is not melonized. Melonization is a coating that makes hardened steel smoother. He says you need to confirm with your cam manufacturer that a hardened steel gear is compatible with their cam. Off the record, he said its what's needed for an old style flat tappet cast cam but due liability concerns they have to tell customers to verify with the cam guy too.

Like I said, I used the same gear on a dizzy in another SBF I built without any issue or wear problems. I am sure you are good to go but if you want to verify with the cam manufacturer to feel better go for it. If you want, give me the info and I will call them too.

I am currently on hold with the tech line at Comp Cams to see what they say...

Last edited:
Comp guy was much like the Pertronix guy. No one wants to give an absolute answer but will "on the side" tell you it's all good. He suggested I check with Pertronix to ask about their gear compatibility with his cam. LOL

I did a ton of internet searching as well and for the most part the general opinion is that a steel gear is good with a cast cam. There were some outliers that advised against it but I didn't find a single instance on any forum board where an actual user had an issue, FWIW.

Thanks Terry. I have also sent a query to the cam manufacturer for advice but haven't heard back yet.

I did some more digging around and did find (complete with photos) where the cam gear had worn down over a short period of time. The post were old though, circa 2004, etc.

I'm a little confused now as to what to trust. I have around $10,000 invested in the fresh engine so for a $500 part I might just go with a different option.
I'll wait to see what the cam guys say first.

Really appreciate your help.

Tony

Back