• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

new owner 66 mustang

robu

new ower of a 66 coupe. Its not running and needs a bunch of work. just here to learn and browse to see where to start and what I need to do.

Tell us more about the car, what needs to be done, etc. Also, where are you, there may be other members near you.

Welcome!

Live in Arizona by Sedona. The car was my great grandmother's which she bought new. It was last registered in 1979 and my uncle got it from my grandmother several years back. I know it has always been outside in Az so it doesn't have much rust that I can see. Car is a 289 with a 3 speed auto which is broken. I know that the driver side quarter panel is a little rusted out at the bottom. The cowl is full of debris and I know that the passenger front quarter is rusted through by the cowl drain. The drivers side is crunchy in the same spot. Engine is all there bit the carb has been taken off and looks like it has been off for awhile. There is a moderate ding on the passenger side door where a cow leaned against it. I know the drive shaft is taken out along with all the seats from what I can see if the floor pans it looks good but still have some cleaning to do to be sure.

Post up some pics of the car and highlight the areas of concern. With the some good pics we can help evaluate some of the problem areas and offer advice on how to fix them. Sounds like a new or rebuilt drive train is in your future. Letting an engine sit open like that (carb and air cleaner off) is never a good idea. Who knows what has found its way inside.

Welcome to the Fix!

Where's the beer? You do know that new members are supposed to bring everyone (fastback owners get first choice) beer don't you? It's in the fine print. :p

Thanks trying to put together a plan on where to start and what needs to be done. Will take any suggestions.

Reminder to post up lots of pics as I suggested before. It will help us a lot to see what you are dealing with and how we suggest going at it. Every project is a bit different. The main thing is to put a plan together that allows you to make incremental progress toward the overall goal. You need to have points along the path where you can see the progress and celebrate it. These things can take much longer than expected and cost more than bargained. Its important to have wins to help keep you motivated. Not to mention, its wise to spend your time and money in certain areas first. Seeing the patient helps to identify such.

Trying to up load pictures but the file is to big? Trying to figure out how to make them smaller to post up

You can attach up to 5 pics in every post by just clicking the "attach files" button right below the text box.

It may be sun baked but it looks like a really nice car. I don't see too much there at all to be concerned about. It's in very good shape from all you have shown. No reason to expect much different in the hidden areas I would say as well.

I would start by gutting the interior and cleaning out all the decades of debris and dirt. Get it up on jack stands, get the wheels off and clean up the underside as well. You may not even have floor patching to do which would be really rare. Once you know what is required in terms of metal work (which looks very minimal) then you can plot a course of action. Just judging by the pics I think yours is a sure fire candidate for restoration.

Last edited:
well that is great news! I don't see much on the floor but the carpet and padding was ripped out years ago

Welcome to the fix.

That's looks like a solid project to start with.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Hi, if you're on a budget, you might just want to sit down and start a list of things you're going to need, buy, etc. , might save you a lot of headaches realizing what it's going to take to make it road worthy money wise/labor wise.

I'll be honest, and I'm ridiculously honest! After looking at the pics, that Mustang needs a lot of work. However, you might just want to gut it of which you're not far from, power wash it, stand back and look at it.

If you decide to proceed, start a build thread in the members build section.
dne'

Don't scare the newbie, Dne'! lol Any 50 year old car needs a lot of effort to bring back its former glory but as our cars go that one is one of the best I've seen. Hardly any rot at all. Nothing around the windows, for example. Very little to be seen in the doors and quarters. Doesn't mean there isn't some hiding but being a desert car I think it is what it appears to be. Lots of guys spend a ton of time and money just to get a car to this shape with all the panel replacements, etc. This thing is primarily in need of a good cleaning and refurbishing.

Last edited:
Back