• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My Story

Recently I spoke to another blog about my story in the car business. I wanted to share the ins and outs of what I have experienced int he last few years (4 years). I will start posting today and add a little each week. I'm not telling this story to gain anything I just wanted all Mustang enthusiasts to hear what its like in todays industry.

Ill start today....

As a youth I always liked cars. My Father was in the used car business and always had a cool car sitting around. When i was 8 years of age he had a 1966 Chevelle that was candy red on the showroom floor. I would sit in this car and act like I was speeding around a track. I did this for hours. I would yell "Dad look out for car number 5 its coming up on us" he always laughed and let me dream. I helped the mechanics in the back change oil, replace valave cover gaskets etc.. I know I was in the way but the guys always showed me how things work.

When I was 14 my father bought me a 1978 Camaro at a local auction for $400. I was yellow and very ugly. It didn't run as the balancer and pulleys were all screwed up. It had an earlier model 283 form salvage in it. I went with my father to a local salvage and found the right stuff to make it run. I helped him put it all together. And for the first time in my life I watched a car start that I worked on. I then took it to my barn behind the house and painted black stripes on it with Krylon. At the time I thought it looked like a show car but I'm sure it wasn't much to talk about. I drove that car all over our 5 acres. I tuned on it, powerslid in it, played the radio and thought I had a real race car.

At the age of 16 we sold that car for $1500. I was so happy to make a profit. I looked everywhere for a cool car that would replace my 78 Camaro. I was driving by a Ford dealership and saw a Mustang GT. Wow it was killer! I dreamed of owning one of those and what i could do to it. So I begged my father and worked extra hours everyday at the detail shop. Then one day here comes a new Blue and silver GT. It was so exciting I thought it was a real dream. I had tears in my eyes and my dad said " You earned it"

I immediately took it to the detail shop and waxed it, vacuumed it and had it ready for Friday night. I drove that car for two years. And learned alot from tuning to exhaust, suspension and hard work.
I sold it when i was 18. At age 18 I moved to Las Vegas to experience life away from Oklahoma and that's where all the custom ideas hit me like a train. I saw fox mustangs slammed with 18 inch wheels, minitrucks with flame jobs, etc...

I joined a local car club called trendsetters and bought a 1991 Nissan truck. In my dads garage I cut out the cab for a speaker box in the bed, made a custom bed cover, lowered it with autozone blocks and a wrench for the torsion bars, and painted my interior pieces. I learned alot about custom cars in the minitruck era.

At age 20 i sold all of the minitruck stuff and went on a search for a muscle car. I purchased a 1968 Mustang coupe. I completely tore it down to the body in my detached garage and started all over. I built the engine myself (with the help of a local speedshop names Super Shops) and learned what it took to build an old car. It was killer when it was complete and I did it all by myself.

Several muscle cars later (like 12 and all Mustangs) I watched the Movie Gone in 60 Seconds in a local theater. I couldn't believe my eyes that you could take an old car and add todays looks to it.

Monday the story continues. Sorry for the long post

I love the story so far, and I'm waiting for the next installment, and ah'hem.. and those pictures, so we know it's not a fairy tale, 'cause around here no pics=didn't happen. How about some pics of the current Shelby E-cars your cookin up?

dude our stories are sooo similar. i could unplug a few of your vehicles, add my own & my story would be told. i moved back in years to the pre 48 street rods instead of the mini trucks but those two are actually alot closer than most people think as far as custom fabrication & design goes.

Part 2... It's gonna be a little short because its late here and I'm about the hit the sack.

I want to go back a bit to the minitrucks because they were a large inspiration to me believe it or not. So back to age 18 I learned alot from a man named Jerry Starling who at the time was very good Friends with Gene Winfield and other Street Rodders. I would hang out at his shop and watch him weld up chassis's and fabricate parts. Eventually he let me attempt to weld a few small jobs and give him my piece of mind when he fabricated. He always told me "I like a young mind' "your young dumb and full of &^%" I always laughed and never understood until now. At the age of 23 I decided to buy another Truck/SUV. A 1998 Tahoe 2 door. It was red and almost new. The day I bought it I ripped all the trim off, sanded the door handles and bumpers and sprayed them red in Jerry's shop. The next day we lowered it with DJM control arms and a flip kit. What a nightmare! I had to cut the frame and support almost 3 inches to clear everything. It looked great but not enough for me. After about 4 months of working everyday It finally was done. A show winning truck that would make a statement. The customized parts of the truck are endless but took the truck to West Coats Nats in California and won first place and was featured in Truckin Mag. I couldn't believe it. The Tahoe is still used to this day in Truckin's calender of best rides.

jasontahoe.jpg

Jhood.jpg

More tomorrow :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK here's more..

When I got back from West Coast Nats a man from California called and wanted the Tahoe more than I did. So I sold it and invested in yet another Muscle car. A 1967 Mustang Fastback. I restored this car to a semi - resto mod. Nothing to crazy but a good drivetrain and nice wheels. I did all off the work myself and drove this car for about a year (sorry no pics). I sold this car for $18,000 on eBay. Here is where it gets Juicy.....

In 2000 I watched the movie Gone in 60 Seconds. I couldn't believe my eyes that a classic car could be changed that much and still get interest. So in 2001 I bought another 67 Mustang fatsback from a local guy in the mustang club of America. Nice car but needed everything. I ordered a CVS movie car kit and went to town. The CVS kit was absolutely horrible. I ended up making my own spoiler, flares and Headlight mounts. In 2004 Barret Jackson West palm Beach i sold that car for $119,000. And met about 6 potential people that really liked the quality of car I built. I knew that if I wanted to build these cars I needed some help. I looked everywhere and ran into an old Friend. He helped me and we started my Dream (Classic Recreations). After my first ordered car was complete I delivered it personally to the client. He was amazed and took me all over Florida showing off his car. It now resides at the DuPont Museum. These cars opened doors for me and allowed my company to grow. That first client introduced me to several potential buyers and vendors I never knew. I built several of these cars and then decided to step up and buy 25,000 square foot of space and hire 10 more people. This was a huge jump in 2005. I always enjoyed working by myself and dealing with clients on an individual basis but I knew that I needed to step up size and production if I wanted to survive in this industry. I then proceeded to contact the film production studio to try to obtain licensing. I cannot get into the specifics of this but I can say it was not easy dealing with them. Its hard to work with people that don't know cars very well. After several months of negotiations and arguing we came to an agreement (more so that I had no other option) again I cannot go into specific details. I completed the first car and I was on my way to California to show them and several celebrities. When I arrived after a 23 hour trip I had to immediately unload the car and show them as i was late due to a snow storm in Arizona. I was so tired I seriously couldn't hold my eyes open, half shaven, probably smelled bad as well. Again it was very stressful. During the licensing I experienced deception and Hollywood. It was so different for me. I didn't understand the Hollywood glamour and what it meant. I met people like Lee Iaccoca, the Kardashians,several pro athletes, pop stars and more. After 2 years of dealing with the studio I had enough. (Sorry i cannot go into details) and decided to stop. It was total coincidence but ran into the man himself in California and had a great conversation. He was so kind and is still probably the most knowledgeable car person i have ever spoken to. Can't go into details but we came up with an idea and the birth of the GT500CR. I will never forget actually speaking with him and his love for fast cars and all cars for that matter.

More tomorrow....

I forgot I also got into the chopper scene for a while. Built 4 of them. Here is my favorite. I designed this bike and had it built. Needless to say I tore it down and rebuilt it. I learned alot from this bike.
bike1104.jpg

"tarafied1" said:
what bike? there is a bike in that picture?

It's a magic trick. Put your hand over the top third or so of the picture and magically a bike will show up!!

Pretty neat trick!

I'm enjoying this thread as well! Keep it up!

Great story bro!

Wanna borrow my 2DR barndoor Tahoe for a few months?
:weas​
jasontahoe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great Jason...

Keep it coming!!!!

Can you tell us some of the celebs and sports stars that bought your cars? I know some of them are "shy" and others dont mind being named....

I can name a few athletes. Sean Marks and Jaylen Rose. I built and restored a few cars for some pro football players as well but they would hang me if i mentioned some of there names. A pop star that has a song called stronger in the lyrics. Sorry I'm vague. Ill post up more pics next week. I'm headed to Vegas in 2 hours for the debut.

"ClassicRecreations" said:
I can name a few athletes. Sean Marks and Jaylen Rose. I built and restored a few cars for some pro football players as well but they would hang me if i mentioned some of there names. A pop star that has a song called stronger in the lyrics. Sorry I'm vague. Ill post up more pics next week. I'm headed to Vegas in 2 hours for the debut.

Good Luck Jason...

I'm headed to Vegas in 2 hours for the debut.

Congrat's Jason and good luck in Vegas.

Since the GT500CR will have "officially" debuted, does that mean that you'll be allowed to post up some pictures of it?

"daveSanborn" said:
Congrat's Jason and good luck in Vegas.

Since the GT500CR will have "officially" debuted, does that mean that you'll be allowed to post up some pictures of it?
Yes we will have images up tomorrow Everything is great here.
I'm typing this gr my phone as internet is down in our room.
Talk tomorrow :ecit

Back