• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mach 1 gauge cluster almost done

DougG69

I guess the instrument cluster looks like it's going to turn out a little better than I thought it would, so I figured I'd post a couple of pics. I should have been taking them from the beginning, but well, I'm lazy :)

I used:
Krylon Fusion for the black parts (satin black).
Seymour brand argent for the inner rings (part # T-19000-1 from NPD, "Ford Argent").
And I used Krylon's silver leafing pen where the chrome originally was.

Of course nothing looks as good as the correctly re-chromed pieces, but I saved over $200 doing it this way. I still have to hit the inner rings where the black transitions to the argent with the silver pen before I can put everything back together.

Wish I had known about this, I have a freshly chromed instrument and clock panel and it wasnt cheap. :$$$

Where did you find the Krylon silver leafing pen? Is hard to tell from the pics but how does it look close up?

Thanks for the kind words. It's not perfect but it is about 10 times better than it was!

Mike, if I was doing a high-end show car, I would have had to bite the bullet & shell out for the proper chroming treatment. But I'm a cheapskate when I can get away with it :p

The silver leafing pen I just did a google search, then clicked 'shopping', and found it at Jo Ann Fabrics & Crafts of all places. I think Amazon carries them if there's nothing local. As you might expect with the silver, it can get a little thick... just keep a piece of cardboard handy to swipe it on to keep it flowing smooth & to wipe off the excess if it starts to build up on the tip.

The only problem I had was there is a spot or two on the inner rings where I had a little paint edge build up when I masked off the argent to spray the black that the silver pen didn't like. I think I'll let it dry for a few days, then come back in & hit those spots with a little sandpaper to smooth them out & then use the pen on them again. Overall though it looks about as good as I could expect from a paint pen I bought at a crafts store.

"RyanG85" said:
That came out great. I did the same on mine except for the silver leafing pen.

Actually, it was your post on another forum that inspired me to give it a try :)

I thought if I could get mine looking anywhere close to as nice as yours turned out, I would be happy. Wish mine was a tach cluster though!

Well, it's as done as it's going to get. Not too bad, considering who was doing the work ;)

Now, if I can only find those dang LED lights I hid from myself put in a safe place so I wouldn't lose them...

Looks very good, I just finished the same thing myself. I've got the entire dash out cleaning things up and brings the level of the previous restoration up a notch or two. I was happy when I plugged in the panel and everything still worked.

Good job on that! On a side note, I came across a vacuum plater that does metallizing and detailing cheaper than the usual suspects. ( typically around $500 for both panels)

These guys advertise around $300 for metallizing and detailing (repairs not included) for 69-70 Mach 1 instrument and clock panels. Has anyone used them?

http://www.gcartrim.com/Mustang.htm#69,70 Mustang

fdes0005.jpg

fdes0001.jpg

Back