• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Le Mans Gas filler Mod

Coleman

I am moving the gas filler on my 67 FB. I have seen several variations on completed cars. Some are flush mounted and others are recessed. I prefer the recessed one as the Le Mans cap can be visually over whelming. I also have concerns about the hinged Le Mans cap when opened landing on my new paint job. BTW, I am using my stock gas tank.

Mustangs Unlimited kit:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy ... y=EMUSTANG

I like this door from Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/art-8 ... dia/images

Are there any other kit options that use a smaller, less obtrusive gas cap? Pics and sources would be great!

I used the metal from a chevy mini van and graphed it into the Mustang's sheet metal (like the movie car) and used a 71 Mach One flip open cap. The only drawback is I have to take my time when fueling up due to the nozzle not being able to make the sharp angle. I don't know if others have had this same problem or not but if doing it again I think I could alter the filler pipe so as it would not do this. If you need pictures let me know. It's not a biggie but I thought I should mention it. You know if you do this you will have to call it the "Eleanor/Anti Eleanor" Mustang. I'm totally with you on the Le Mans sticking way out. Never looked right.

"67 evil eleanor" said:
I used the metal from a chevy mini van and graphed it into the Mustang's sheet metal (like the movie car) and used a 71 Mach One flip open cap. The only drawback is I have to take my time when fueling up due to the nozzle not being able to make the sharp angle. I don't know if others have had this same problem or not but if doing it again I think I could alter the filler pipe so as it would not do this. If you need pictures let me know. It's not a biggie but I thought I should mention it. You know if you do this you will have to call it the "Eleanor/Anti Eleanor" Mustang. I'm totally with you on the Le Mans sticking way out. Never looked right.

Great idea! Never gave any thought to grafting on one from another vehicle. Thanks!

BTW, I ended up purchasing the filler kit from mustangsunlimited and the Ridetech locking billet cap from Summit. If possible I will make sure gas pump nozzle can go all the way in. I have fits fueling in the city now with the "vapor nozzle" on the gas pump.

You can buy the recess only on eBay which is what I did. I then got an exhaust shop to bend the pipe for me.

I also modified my fuel tank

rehedeva.jpg

y2eryhyq.jpg

The install is tricky as you have very little room around the inside of the filler neck
yma7etyz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Johnny M" said:
You can buy the recess only on eBay which is what I did. I then got an exhaust shop to bend the pipe for me.

I also modified my fuel tank

rehedeva.jpg

y2eryhyq.jpg

The install is tricky as you have very little room around the inside of the filler neck
yma7etyz.jpg

Johnny, I sell the same recess, it goes with our Mach 1 filler kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one that's a little different. If you could hinge a part of the panel and have it hidden, that would be cool.

"mustangstofear" said:
We weld the nuts on the backside of our adapter, that way you don't have to try and get a wrench up in that tight area.

That takes the fun out of it. I was toying around with the vert a bit wanting to do something a little different and I believe I'll put a pull door in the left rear panel, like a modern car. There's no other place to put it on a vert and I don't want it in the rear. Now to find a door assembly with the right contours.

Back