• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

It's going to be a crappy year

RapidRabbit

Donator
I just need to whine. This is starting out to be a crappy year. When it rains it pours.

So last week we had a big snow storm with super wet heavy snow and 50+ mph winds.

It made the power go out and back on several times and apparently sent a power surge through the circuit board on the furnace. So now I need to replace the whole stupid unit. It's over 20 years old so fixing it just doesn't make sense I guess.

That's running about $5,000.

We've been putting it off because we just got more bills for my wife's surgery at Mayo last summer for about $15,000 that we were told was covered but isn't. Which is in top of the almost $10,000 we've already payed in medical bills.

I had an ER visit for myself that was another $3,500.

Last month my daughter got braces. Another $5,500.

And the biggest unknown is the channel behind our house. It's at the lowest water level I've seen it since we've lived here. So the other day the neighbor comes over and says he called to get estimates to dredge it and the estimate was $80,000.

He claims all property owners are responsible and says he could take us to court to force it.

I haven't had the boat out since 2020, so I couldn't care less at this point.

This is the first time he's introduced himself to me in the 10 years I've lived here too.

I get that this is probably nothing to some people, but I'm not a rich person. I hate wiping out such a big chunk of savings.

I think someone put a curse on me this year. I know there's more to come.

Ok, rant over. Thanks.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

My $30,000 roof says hello. My old roof was just fine, but the insurance decided it was too old and my policy wouldn't get renewed if I didn't.

As far as the medical bills. Offer $50/month. They have to accept it.

Pat DO NOT PAY $5k for a new furnace. That's just robbery. Do it yourself. Buy a unit online. I put in a new furnace and outside AC unit myself a few years ago. Only outside help required was the hiring of a licensed AC installer to come by and charge the new AC unit. I don't have the equipment or I'd have done that too. Hired a tech off Craigslist who did it as a side gig for a few bucks.

Furnaces are cheap. Especially this time of year. You can do it for about 20-25% of the price you posted.

Offer to buy that neighbor a big shovel and a pair of waders. He sounds like the old retired type who should have plenty of free time on his hands anyway.

My $30,000 roof says hello. My old roof was just fine, but the insurance decided it was too old and my policy wouldn't get renewed if I didn't.

As far as the medical bills. Offer $50/month. They have to accept it.
When we bought this house it needed a new roof and the bank wouldn't let us close until the roof was replaced but it was February in Wisconsin. Not the easiest time to replace a roof.

We had to escrow the money for the roof in order for the bank to go ahead with loan closing.

Pat DO NOT PAY $5k for a new furnace. That's just robbery. Do it yourself. Buy a unit online. I put in a new furnace and outside AC unit myself a few years ago. Only outside help required was the hiring of a licensed AC installer to come by and charge the new AC unit. I don't have the equipment or I'd have done that too. Hired a tech off Craigslist who did it as a side gig for a few bucks.

Furnaces are cheap. Especially this time of year. You can do it for about 20-25% of the price you posted.
I've considered tackling it myself. We're trying to put if off until fall. I don't want to rush into a decision. Technically it's still working but l have to constantly turn it on and off to get it kick in and get the house up to temp. Winter is mostly over here, but it still gets randomly cold.

And yeah the neighbor is an older retired guy with nothing better to do I suspect. He's going to have to take it to court if he wants me to spend that kind of money on dredging. Just funny never met him until he wants money from me.

Sorry to hear about all the troubles Pat. Sometimes it seems like the world is out to get us, but we find a way to make it through. Have to love owning a home, just when you think you are on top of the world, something breaks! I plan to have all of the major components replaced on the house before retirement here in a couple of years.

Insurance companies have designated all homes in California to be in high fire areas, I was forced to replace my roof last fall. I won't tell you the number, but I win the high cost award by far!

Pat, don't wait until fall to tackle the furnace. Do it in June/July before the peak of AC season. If you do hire it out this will be the cheapest time to get it done. If you have an older 80% unit don't fall for the need to get high efficiency either. Replace with the same. Even in Cheeseland it would take a whole lot of years to ever recover the additional cost to upgrade as on top of the equipment you'll also need to install venting for the new higher efficiency model.

I lucked out on the new roof game. Area got hit with what insurance companies deemed a roof damaging level hail event resulting in like 85% of homes around here getting replacement roofs covered. There were roofing companies beating down the doors offering to work with homeowners to get adjusters to sign off on projects. In the end, I got a new roof for the price of my deductible. Saved me over $30 large. Roofing costs are ridiculous.

We don't plan on staying here more than 5 more years so I'm not going crazy with a high end unit. Something decent mid level.

Alaina only has 4 more years of school then we are free to relocate.

I'm going to get a few different estimates and decide what direction to go. We'll probably push it off until at least June or July.

Back