• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

ideas for exterior mirrors?

steveh326

disregard, I think I figured out which way I want to go.

for a simpler look, I think I am going to take standard mirrors (not the bullets), bead blast and paint body color. will try that and see how it works.

Last edited:
yeah I'm a mess sometimes, been struggling with what to do for mirrors for a while now, but finally think I decided, sorry
'bout that. I have had to regroup a couple times on things I thought would work and didn't, so was trying not to throw any more $ away on failed ideas...

haha... over in the member build subforum I said it was 'done'. it's done enuf to go get tags... still a couple odds and ends left, and not sure these things are ever really 'done' until you move on to the next project.

well.. you asked...
I dropped the front end too much, tires rub, found some poly spring insulators from global west that will hopefully raise the front end enuf to level the car and stop the rubbing. supposed to be here saturday, hoping to pull the springs and get them installed on Sunday. calling for rain on sunday tho so road test looks unlikely.

still needs the convertible top, then I can align the side windows, then I can install the door panels. I stopped at upholster shop last Tuesday and talked to them, no prob just a 2 week backlog of work for them.

needs to go back to my painter. I chipped the paint in one spot during final install that he needs to touch up, also never got final buff he needs to do that.

gotta call Hagerty and change my insurance 'under construction' insurance to 'on the road' insurance. everything setup just need to call them and tell them to push the button... then I can go get the tags.

got carpet coming for the trunk, but can do that at my leisure. got a new gas filler neck coming with the restrictor plate installed to help with fillups.

because of the tire rubbing issue I have not taken for shakedown cruise yet to see if anything else needs to be addressed that I don't know about. idling in the garage it seems like it's running hot, but the temp gauge in the dash as well as on the fitech display both show normal temp... hopefully just my imagination or the 105 temp in the garage last weekend... :) once it's on the road I need to calibrate the electronic speedo.

I lost count but I think it's probably been 7+ years or so since this project started... long sad tale of rust, fire, death and destruction. I had a good friend of mine bet me it would never be on the road again... there were lots of times I thought he was right but I never told him that. Dad brought this car home in 72 or 73 as a wreck and he and I put it back together then. he is 88 now and has been helping me a little this time as well (mostly keeping me company)... so it's been a father/son project twice, like 45 years apart...lol

once I get it back on the road I still have a few things on the wish list for it. mainly to build a new stroker and 9" rear end for it, but all that can be done gradually over the next year or 2.

Well...at least the list is short......hahaha

Sounds like you are having fun. Enjoy.

Mirrors sound like a minor issue, but they can give the car character. When I bought my '69 standard convertible twenty years ago it had a single factory pitted chrome mirror on the driver's door. When I "restored" the car I decided I would have probably opted for the dual racing mirrors if I had bought it new, so that's what I did. They look great on the car, as does the ralley wheels and luggage rack which were also "adds" that could have been had off the options list or dealer installed. On the other hand, I had an '83 Bronco that I bought from Ford Aerospace as an executive lease car turn in. The truck was equipped with those tripod trailer towing mirrors (and, oddly, didn't have a trailer hitch) and my wife made a practice of banging the passenger side mirror off of any obstacle she came upon.:( She was a little gal and loved the feeling of power driving that full sized Bronco gave her. I think I had that passenger door repaired at least five times. The last time around my body shop guy said the next time I would have to replace the door.

BTW, a lot of race car enthusiasts like to install the chrome Shelby bullet style mirrors on the fenders. That might be a nice touch on your beautiful coupe.

thanks Ragtop... I was really thinking hard on the Shelby bullet mirrors, and may go that route eventually. But I got rid of a lot of the chrome and think the chrome bullets would stand out too much... California pony cars has a set in black that are paintable... may go that route eventually... for now I took a pair of standard round mirrors, sanded them down and painted them black metallic like the top half of the car... for now they look OK and I can live with it...

I have the chrome bullet mirrors on my 67. They look good (on my car anyway) but they are all but useless. They are too small and difficult to adjust. I wouldn't recommend them on a car you drive a lot. just my 2 cents

I have the chrome bullet mirrors on my 67. They look good (on my car anyway) but they are all but useless. They are too small and difficult to adjust. I wouldn't recommend them on a car you drive a lot. just my 2 cents

when you get that new motor in your car, who the heck needs mirrors anyway !

Kind of late to the party but I've got the bullet mirrors from a Factory 5 Cobra kit and they have the wide angle lenses on them. They worked well when i drove the car last...years ago. I don't know if they still have them or if you can get the same size wide angle lens for your bullets possibly. Every little bit helps.

thanks Jon... in the end I just went with standard mirrors (convex for passenger side), scuffed and painted them body color. they pretty much disappear and go with the dechromed theme I have going on.

I tried a couple of the bullet type mirrors before settling on my painted ones... from my limited experience, it seemed like the ones from California Pony Cars (CPC) were top quality and I ALMOST went with those as they had them in black.

Back