• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I need help quick with a small spot on my pony......

M-train

I am sadly going to be trading my little 65 fastback for another vehicle very soon.

I want the car perfect as you can imagine, but there was one little spot on the front fender that looked like a hives on a human.

Just a little spot of pimple like bumps that have came up over the years in the clear.

I sanded them away {I put lots of coats of clear on the car when I painted it}, I used 600, 800, 1k, 1.5k, and 2k grit paper, dry, then moved on to the
Turtle Wax polishing compound, and buffed it with my little buffer.

I'm getting the same thing as I got years ago when I tried to buff anything, and that is a haze that doesn't match the mirror finish of the rest of the car {yes I spend $$$ to have the car buffed right}.

Without buying $100 worth of chemicals what can I do to get this little spot looking presentable?

A pic would help.

Sounds like the clear is dying back in that spot. Did the bubbles come back?

Some of the older clears are very difficult to buff after they've been on the car for years. I remember a car I painted in the 80s using 2020 clear and made the mistake of waiting 30 days to buff it. I never did get it as nice as I would have liked. Even modern clears are easier to buff soon after they are applied.

if its that turtle wax compound in the little plastic tub (like a can of wax) you won't get it any better. you need to get a compound made for clearcoat that cuts chemically without having a "grit". follow that with some 3m finesse polishing compound, then some hand glaze with microfiber cloths. keep the rpms down on the buffer, less swirl marks to deal with that way...

also, if i read correctly, you sanded it dry? go over it again with the 2000 & wet sand it this time.

"Sluggo" said:
A pic would help.

Sounds like the clear is dying back in that spot. Did the bubbles come back?

Some of the older clears are very difficult to buff after they've been on the car for years. I remember a car I painted in the 80s using 2020 clear and made the mistake of waiting 30 days to buff it. I never did get it as nice as I would have liked. Even modern clears are easier to buff soon after they are applied.

i used the 2020 for years until it was discontinued, then went with the 2021 & sometimes the 2001. with all of those, you had better get it buffed within the 48 hr. window or your screwed....

This car was buffed a year after it was painted, it has looked great for about four years with the only spot being the one I described. I painted it with DuPont Chroma Base system.

I have heard the same stuff about the Turtle wax, and I don't know why I even bought it.

I have heard that I can used the Meguiars 105, and 205 to do what I need to do from one of my paint forums.

I have some ordered so I will let you know.

Also, I agree that it is a bit risky, but I would hate to have that one bad place in the paint kill the deal. You know what I mean, it would be the only thing they would see, that one spot.

I have learned how to paint, weld, body work, wire, and just about everything related to a car, I guess now its time to learn how to buff.

Back