• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I found these handy connectors

Mach1Mark

Ramrod extraordinaire
Donator
when a coworker and I were discussing my wiring harness install. They are installed using a heat gun. Shrinks the sleeve and melts the low temp solder.

Attachments

• A428E259-E4B5-409B-9500-08FDCC4831EC.jpeg
    A428E259-E4B5-409B-9500-08FDCC4831EC.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 37
A heat gun at the right temperature is ok with me but if its too hot , it will shrink to fast and the solder will pop out thruw the sleeve.

Understood. The instructions even recommended use of cigarette lighter in lieu of a heat gun. Im guessing some skill and finesse is required to use the lighter.

Never used them but likely wouldn't either. in my experience just about anything designed to make stuff easier or faster usually comes at the expense of quality. I think those are probably much more prone to creating a poor cold solder joint than anything else.

I have seen those advertised lately all over social media. I am curious as to how well they work, and if they will last the test of time. While I am hesitant like Terry, I do leave the option open for a better mousetrap. I just don't want to be the guinea pig!

They are good , if proper handled.
There is also some kind of glue in the sleeve that seals it of.

My understanding is that these splices are fine for occasional use, although they are relatively expensive per unit compared to bulk butt connectors and heat shrink. I go through about 2000 splices a year, and just the connectors cost me $600.

Yes , they are expensive and the main purpose I used them is when I need to repaire some wiring inside motorcompartment or underneath the car. Inside the car , I just use heat shrink sleeves.

My understanding is that these splices are fine for occasional use, although they are relatively expensive per unit compared to bulk butt connectors and heat shrink. I go through about 2000 splices a year, and just the connectors cost me $600.
Randy, I'm curious as to why you use connectors (I'm assuming butt style) as opposed to a basic solder connection covered with shrink sleeve. It would seem to me that the latter would be more appropriate for original harness repair work. Thinking it would look better cosmetically.

It takes much longer to solder the wires vice butt-splicing. Don't forget that you should clean the joint with alcohol to get rid of any residual flux. That's the primary reason (time) why my prices are as low as they are. I would have to add one to two hours on average to an underdash harness if I soldered every splice.

Back