• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How is everyone finishing the underneath of their car?

steveh326

Whats the best way to finish the underneath of my car? Hopfully will be ready for this step soon, before it goes to paint. I originally thought about using bedliner either rolled or sprayed from a rattlecan, but not sure this is the best idea, so looking for other suggestions.

Should I paint it black? body color?

Thanks in advance.

It really depends on the use you plan for the car. Daily driver type would need better protection than a show unit.

I painted mine black. After dealing with the black for a number of years, I wish I would have done it in white. It would be a lot easier / brighter when working underneath. Since I open track it a lot, I'm under it just about every month [nb]when the motor's not blown[/nb] checking nuts and bolts.

"68EFIvert" said:
I painted the bottom of my car with POR15 satin black. Tough stuff and looks good.

might be a good option, thanks... I assume you sprayed it?

"AzPete" said:
It really depends on the use you plan for the car. Daily driver type would need better protection than a show unit.

nice weekend car, cruise nights, will probably see some rain during the rest of it's life, but not a daily driver or a show car.

"silverblueBP" said:
I painted mine black. After dealing with the black for a number of years, I wish I would have done it in white. It would be a lot easier / brighter when working underneath. Since I open track it a lot, I'm under it just about every month [nb]when the motor's not blown[/nb] checking nuts and bolts.

haha, not sure I can do WHITE, but black is sounding better and better.

3M Schutz

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebse ... 6E666666--

Seaside044.jpg

SyracuseNats049.jpg

I would go the por 15 or like item before using bed liner adds a lot of weight from what I have read.

I had one painted to match the car. Held up well as I had the car for 12,000 miles or so. Made clean up real easy as the surface was slick and it was a daily driver. To me, painting makes it easier to clean.

"dodgestang" said:
I simply never look at it. :roll

I prolly won't look at it MUCH, but just about everything under there is new now and just has the EPDM coating that won't hold up to the elements.

I striped mine, and no, I don't have a rotisserie.

tunder18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
single stage urethane of approximately the same color as the original undercarriage.

hopefully being smooth will make it easy to wipe down.

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

I used Zero Rust for the extra protection factor ( the red oxide was kind of similar to the original color on this San Jose car).

I rattle can sprayed mine with undercoat and then covered it in road grime and oil too.
72_17_03_09_5_37_38.jpg

"68EFIvert" said:
just a 2" brush and old cloths.

Wear gloves also or you will be wearing black for a long time. Pors does not like to come off. but it is great stuff.

Back