• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

how do you fix a bowed hood

GT350

how do you fix a bowed hood on a 69 mustang its sit correct at front and back where the hinges are but i have this bow in the centre on both sides
100_2410.jpg

100_2409.jpg

It sounds half-ass, but there are fender shims available to raise the fender up a bit to conform to the hood shape, insert them between the fender and the apron. Supposedly, some cars came with them from the factory.

Anything you do to the hood in the line of straightening it will most likely break the bond/mounting of the hood scoop.

Is the hood skin and frame properly attached to each other?

Does the latching of the hood cause it to bow by pushing the latch area back towards the cowl?

Any damage to the leading edge of the hood to indicate a possible accident?

"SAC69" said:
It sounds half-ass, but there are fender shims available to raise the fender up a bit to conform to the hood shape, insert them between the fender and the apron. Supposedly, some cars came with them from the factory.
that is exactly what I did on mine.

no damage at front of hood sits nice ,just the middle bit is puzzling why it has bowed although car has sat in a garden for over 15 yrs,the skin is fine on the hood no repairs or rusty lips etc

I had the same issues and discovered that the appron " lip " was down.
I hammered the apron lip up and everything lined up fine.

in the old days, we would take a 2x4, wrap the ends in a towel & lay it across the fenders under the front of the hood & push down with a little pressure on the hood sides where they are bowed. take your time & be easy & you should be able to work it out. also, try to push down near the edges, not towards the center where you can dent the skin...

Well if you remove the screwdriver does it go down.....just kidding

Can't tell but was the scoop welded or bonded to the hood? Could welding heat or a chemical reaction from the bonding agents cause the hood to bow I'm the middle area?

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
in the old days, we would take a 2x4, wrap the ends in a towel & lay it across the fenders under the front of the hood & push down with a little pressure on the hood sides where they are bowed. take your time & be easy & you should be able to work it out. also, try to push down near the edges, not towards the center where you can dent the skin...

I've done it that way several times too. We would use a second set of longer 2X4's with the towel to push on the center where it's high.

Could also get a fat chick to sit on it. The wide bottom wont dent the hood.

I would start by removing the fenders, and straighten the aprons. Most of the time the opening for the j clips are messed up and will result in a bad fit. If you do that you won't need any shims under the fender.

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:

I used a combo of this and knocking the aprons up in the middle. My fender tops were oil canning so I had to fix that first.

I'd try loosening the top fender bolts a hair. Then tighten the bolts while pushing up on the low spot.

"Caver 66" said:
I'd try loosening the top fender bolts a hair. Then tighten the bolts while pushing up on the low spot.

That won't work if the apron it down to far. I also dolly the edge of the fender down, very few people ever think of doing that.

Back