• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Horseplay: 1965 Fastback Restomod

Another thing I've learned on this project is just how easy it is to spend money! We in the mustang hobby are fortunate that just about every single part is available as a re-pop. I'm not saying all the re-pops are good, just available. I bought all new trim and emblem pieces. The cost to restore my originals made this the logical way to go. Same thing for all the interior and exterior chrome bits, exception being bumpers. I plan to buy NOS or find good originals I can have re-plated. The ones on my car were re-pops and not worth saving.

I also bought new gauges and some billet stuff. I didn't want the same old Autometer gauges (although the new muscle car line is cool!) as everyone else so I spent a long time searching and decided to go with Classic Instruments. They are more known for making pieces for nostalgic hot rods or 50's and earlier but I really liked the gauge design and colors that I ended up getting as it matched perfectly with the color scheme of the car.

I got the Lokar pedal more for function than looks. If you look in the background you'll see billet Ring Bros hinges and Street or Track's export brace (bought when first introduced and Shaun put out a good deal).

Attachments

• DSC01798.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 47
  • DSC01800.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
Looking good! Glad you decided to start a build thread. I'll be watching this one.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

One of the hardest decisions for me on this project was the steering/suspension plan. I have always been a straight line guy. Getting every bit out of my cars at the drag strip has always been my objective. Doing so has it's disadvantages, obviously, when driving on the street. When talking about an early mustang there is no doubt improvement needs to be made just for normal street driving. So which way to go? At first, a rack and pinion seemed the way to go. But which one? After literally years of research I still couldn't say for sure which was best. If I had to choose it would have been the TCP unit. Fortunately for me, my procrastinating took enough time for the Borgeson box to hit the market. While in my heart I am a drag racer, the truth is most of the car's pavement time will be cruising and shows (low speed parking lots, etc).

Aside from the modern technology, the most appealing thing about this mod to me was how un-invasive it is to the car's originality.

Attachments

• DSC01795.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
One of the very first things I bought for this project was the front and rear brake kits. I think I ordered them while the car was still at the media blasters! If you're gonna drive a car with horse emblems on it you better have some "whoa" capabilities!

Attachments

• DSC01802.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
"Horseplay" said:
Our resident Rat Rod builder is to credit for me deciding to start this post. Seems he didn't realize I had a car... :nut

He wasn't the only one thought that way :roll

Awesome car BTW :thu

Yeah. Well, this kind of sucks. Can't and won't go into any details as to the why here but it looks like I am going to have to part ways with my car/project. As many of you have surely seen I haven't really gotten much of anything done on it this year and that is unfortunately looking like it will remain the way for the foreseeable future.
As this was to be my last and certainly finest project, I stayed the course and have done everything "right" and, if anything, on the higher end so far. Go back through this post and you can see what I mean.
Anyway, looking for opinion on selling. Now or wait 'til spring? Try to find the time (hire it out?) and get it a little more "back together" first? I'm already DEEP into it for tens of thousands of dollars as it is and we all know I'm not re-couping a large chunk of that cash.

Maybe I'm better off selling all the parts (they are almost all new never even bolted on) separate and the car as a painted shell?

Looking for opinions...

Sorry to hear that news Terry.

I'll give you $1,500 for all of it.

Sorry to hear it bro.

And I won't insult you with ridiculous low-ball offers either.

$1,750.00

:hide

J/K Terry; I am sorry to hear about the sale. Now way around it for sure?

Sorry to hear. If you're in a position to hang on to it till spring, do that. Maybe you'll be able to keep it if you wait it out.......

Well, haven't made an update here for a long time but things have been moving along as I have posted elsewhere. Figured at this stage time to get back the "build thread". For the first time in about four years the car now sits on it's own four wheels. Well, technically it sits on dollies on it's own four wheels. :) Bolted on the front and back suspensions and installed the new rear end. Also has an engine sitting in the bay!

I had to stay up all night last Sunday to get the last of the underside covered in the Raptor bed liner. Had a visitor expected to come by Monday to lend a hand bolting the fun stuff on. Behind at work right now after taking a couple days off to work on the car so keeping this short. Will come back and update with more pics and greater detail later today/tomorrow.

Gotta give a special shout out of thanks to Mark (SilverBlueBP, alias msell66) for lending a hand and pushing me to get this done.
on wheels.JPG engine in.JPG Mark.JPG

you will let just anybody near your car? a brave, brave man!

Nice work so far, I look forward to the finished product.

Back