• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Help-Difference in fastback and coupe trunk lid.

spitse

Is there a way to tell if what I have is a coupe or fastback trunk lid that is on my car?

I have a 65 coupe and I can’t get the trunk to align. It is almost like the trunk lid is rounded and the quarter panels are more straight where they meet, If that makes any sense.

Side note, on the trunk bracket, the nutsert thing passenger side bottom broke loose. Turn the bolt and it just spins. So it is making loosening and raising on that bracket real fun. Any tips to get that fixed?
524d72fc107200e3c7020a8ad116e677.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fastback deck lid is much shorter. Not possible to confuse the two.

Panel alignment on these cars was never great. Good at best typically. The use of a little muscle to create or eliminate curvature is commonly needed. So is a bit of grinding here and welding on a bit of metal there to get things into what we consider today decent alignment. Seeing your car is already painted you may just have to live with "close enough" unless a repaint doesn't scare you.

If you can access any part of the insert a quick tack weld will suffice to hold it until you can get it tight. If you don't have a welder you can probably cheat with a dab of JB Weld. Mind you it will only take so many re-tightenings before it breaks loose again.

Last edited:
Well pooo and good I guess. Just can’t figure out why it feels like the trunk lid is rounded vs the quarter panel.

Do you have a repro decklid? Seems that most of them (including mine) need massaging to make them fit.

Do you have a repro decklid? Seems that most of them (including mine) need massaging to make them fit.

I honestly don’t know. It was in the car and painted when I bought it. Initially I was thinking it was a quick adjustment needed, so I was not too concerned then.

Post up a couple other pics of different angles and a bit further back. Hard to tell how "bad" it is from that one pic. So close skews the perspective. I'm thinking you can muscle it a bit to flatten it out some.

dumb question, could a previous owner have forced the trunk shut over something like too many suitcases? this will bow a deck lid. hinge adjustments will only do so much and will never address a bowed deck lid.

c132743547fa6e11a9ed41442a513e99.jpg
916c882eaf5a9347343ac8bbb00bf998.jpg

Not sure if these help or not. Hard to get the body line with my phone.

I played with it some more before the pics above. And it is getting better. I think in general it is adjustment related after the comments. The drivers side is pretty spot on. So feels to me I need to drop the passenger side a bit, and bring it to the rear and raise the latch a tad. Raising the latch will need to have better weather stripping.

So the passenger hinge is dropped as much as it can. That I can see, is
02e7622b8079dda593093c1f07fa6902.jpg

there a trick to get it to drop more? Or am I close to needing to opening the slot some?

It doesn't look all that bad to be honest. If the center rise is whats bothering you you can try to muscle it a bit flatter

A little more pressure with the the lip tail end resting on a block might fix that last little bit.

Mark

Your pictures look like your deck lid is bent. My '69 convertible had a hood that looked like that. A PO had "beaked" it on something and bent it in the middle. Got lots of dings at shows because of the gap on the sides of my hood. My eventual solution was to replace it with a Ford Tooling hood when I last had the car repainted. The gap that your photos show from the top look excessive too. Has the car ever been hit hard in the right rear quarter?

Is the trunk lid difficult to close? Some of the repo seals are WAY too thick/firm, and no amount of adjustment will get them to sit down correctly and can bow the lid some when closed.. I had a similar problem, and reduced my seal by half to achieve good alignment and a trunk that still seals..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back