• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fix Or Repair Daily.....

daveSanborn

Wintertime here in ole Eastern NC is pretty boring. We don't get a lot of bad weather, but January, February and the first half of March are usally cold, raw days with the daytime highs hovering around 45-50. It leaves me with not a lot to do and I usually linger around the garage on the weekends fixing whatever's broke. The problem I have this year is that nothing is broke. I've fixed myself right into boredom and have actually started watching the speed channel to pass my idle time. I was so bored last weekend that I changed the oil in the shops air compressor... and I don't even think it needed it, but what the heck, I was bored.

Today, out of the blue, I got a call from a semi-local VMFer who needs some minor repairs done to his 64.5 Coupe. I've been down this road before with others and have my reservations.

What would you do?

You haven't arranged for shipping yet? Whats' the hold-up? A shipping company can have your "new" Saleen delivered for much less than I could do it for.

Yeah, I've run the numbers and their rates are actually reasonable, compared to me dragging the trailer and running up there and hauling it back.

As far as helping your buddy with his car, I know what you're talking about.
These kinds of deals can suck you in and never let you go.
I got into one of those situation trying to help a guy with a carb problem and it really got to be a huge drag on my time.
If you do have a little time and want to help him, I'd consider telling him from the outset that you've only got a bit of time, and reserve the right to pull out when you have something pressing come up.
I had several people helping me on my 67 during the final days of thrashing on it, and I was always just very grateful for the hour-here, hour-there that they could contribute. They all had projects of their own, I just happened to have the one with the closest deadline.

Helping a buddy work on his car is one thing. However, getting too involved is kinda like lending money to a cousin.

If you know this guy reasonably well, and can work with him, then feel free to do so. You should tell him that everything depends upon your time availability (so you can back out gracefully). If the work is more than 2 days' worth, then I would hesitate. If you don't know him and/or have to travel, I would say no.

I'm in the same boat, somewhat bored, but AZPete comes over about twice a month for usually a 1 or 2 day job, which is just fine. The rest of the time I can work on harnesses or simply read my books. I don't think I would want to go elsewhere to work nor spend more than a couple of days at a time doing this stuff.

To be more specific, this is a car located approx. 120 miles away. The owner is an infrequent VMFer that stopped by last Summer and picked up a few items from me for his 64.5 Coupe. His desires are to move the car to my garage for me to expedite the repairs. This would probably entail me picking the car on my trailer.

From our brief phonecon today, the car needs only minor repairs... IMO.... of course I've never seen this car either....

Originally the car was a 4 lug car and he swapped in a discbrakeswap.com front end (that I sold him) and I gave him a 5 lug rearend (last Summer) that he's installed.

Apparently he's having issues replacing the brake lines. New lines would have to be fabricated to some extent due to the non-stock application. Also, a T5 transmission has been installed and the DS needs to be shortened. There are also wiring issues, but I'm not sure how bad these issues are. Lastly, I'd need to cutout and install a drivers side front floor board.

These could all be done in a couple weekends by me.... he's agreed to supply all required parts... and pay me 1/2 up front for the repairs.

I told him to get an itemized repair order from a local shop and then get ahold of me. Based upon this repair order, I'd have a better idea of exactly what he wants done. This is a classic example of "I can fix this".... and then not being able to due to time/family/etc. He's going through a separation and needs the car drivable and out of his ex's garage.

Against my own reservations, I'll probably help him out, that's if he calls me back. I noticed that he posted on the VMF and Craig was trying to help/encourage him to tackle the repairs himself.

He also mentioned to me that he'd actually like to sell the car and just buy a finished one... as if this mystical car ever exists. Anyone looking for a cheap 64.5 6 cyl car? Not me. The GREAT news is that the car needs no body work (other than the floor pan patch) and the paint is good. I'd definitely pass if he wanted me to paint it for him. I don't mind painting my own cars, but that's where I draw the line.

Mid... if his wiring harness is shot.... what are the chances of getting a replacement through you? Turnaround time on repairing his existing one?

Thanks all and I'll let you know how it progresses.

Be careful. Don't get caught in a time thing either. Set a time frame for completion AND payment on paper. You may have to haul it both ways. Put it all on paper for sure. Set a time frame for various jobs. This gives you some playing room. Do not promise on you fastest time frame. Give yourself a few extra days plus have the option to extend if more work comes up.

I would not want to tie up anyones home shop with a car for more than a couple days at a time, every once in a while. What Mid and I do works good for both of us. If he needs help, I am ready for that also.

If it was a planned, paid for project, I would want it closer to me, not 120 miles away. If I was doing the work, I would want the customer miles from me.

I don't know the guy all that well, but he seems like a straight shooter. One of my reservations is that he's going through this divorce thing. Priorities can change rather quickly under these circumstances. I suppose worst case scenario, my Shepard would have a comfortable dog house while the car sat here.

I'm not sure if the garage enlargement is still going to happen. I did some reorganizing and everything fits much better. If I do decide to do the addition anyway, this little side job could fund the the concrete, if not, more.

Oh him? He wants to sell it afterwards?. This is where I might be different than others. I don't mind helping someone who is restoring the beast but with the assumption that they intend to keep it. But if they plan to sell it, I kind of see my effort and help vaporize after it's sold.

Dave, too bad you don't live out here. I'd have Shag keep you real busy.

Back