• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fig Bread

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
No pictures. Our fig tree is now 5 years old, and is now putting out more fruit than we can eat. Wifey can't stand figs, so it is up to me to eat them, which is fine with me! Two folks at work are willing to take the excess, but 5 pounds of figs every day is a bit much!

Wife went online and found a fig bread recipe, something akin to banana bread. OMG...this is delicious and very moist!

If anyone wants to know the recipe, I can get it for you and post it; most folks can't stand figs and probably are not interested...

A typical fig has very small seeds, but is quite sweet, almost syrupy. There's almost no texture to it...it sort of comes apart with mild force, similar to a ripe strawberry. But a fig tastes nothing like a strawberry; more like honey than anything else. It is very hard to explain.

You've never had a fig newton cookie? A fresh fig tastes very similar to the filling, but with lots more moisture to it.

Can't say that I've ever had a fig newton. I have seen figs all over grocery stores lately. I might have to give one a try.

Please post. Wife needs something to do with those little buggers; I'll get her to make some fig bread. I like 'em, but a few at a time only - tree throws out way more than we can eat.

3 eggs
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups ripe figs, mashed
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped pecans

Beat eggs, add sugar and beat well. Add the mashed figs and vegetable oil. Sift together flour, soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add the fig mixture alternatively with the buttermilk. Beat well. Fold in chopped pecans. Bake in 350 degrees for 1 hour in greased and floured loaf pans.

Makes 2 large or 3 small loaves.

Back