• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fiberglass hood fitment, ARG

steveh326

so... almost a year after I bought my fiberglass hood I finally got to test fit it yesterday. WAY OFF. 1/2" wide in the right front corner, tapering back to nothing back at the cowl end. how the hell can anything be off by that much? Just to double check I laid the stock hood back on there and it fits perfect. Measurements on the hod from centerline confirm it's off by that amount. What a piece of shit hood.

At this point I don't know whether to invest the hours to TRY to make this work, not sure it would ever be right, or look for a replacement.

can anything this far off be salvaged?

Saving it would really depend on how far of the body lines are also off compared to the edges. It will be a lot of work most likely but anything is possible. What is the cost of a new hood you would want....then the hours and material to fix the current one......it can add up fast.

The next hood may also need some work........

That depends who he buys it from. I've had customers tell me they have spent over 1000.00 in labor to make a competitors hood fit. I personalty wouldn't spend that much time on a hood, I would just store it and use it as a sled come winter.

"mustangstofear" said:
That depends who he buys it from. I've had customers tell me they have spent over 1000.00 in labor to make a competitors hood fit. I personalty wouldn't spend that much time on a hood, I would just store it and use it as a sled come winter.

Rich - I'd get one from you in a heartbeat if you had what I wanted, 66 hood with the 67 scoop... I checked your site and didn't see it. If tweaking it is beyond my skills, it won't take long to add up the expense of a new hood in bodywork expense.

"AzPete" said:
+1 on who it comes from.....

When i got it last year I had no clue. Now I think Meyer Racing, MustangstoFear, etc. if I could get a do-over...

After we get the complete 65-66 body kit done, I think we will start making the short hoods. We do get a lot of calls for them. I just installed a 67 style for a customer, and all I had was 1 1/2 hours total time for a perfect fit, that included priming and block sanding.

"mustangstofear" said:
After we get the complete 65-66 body kit done, I think we will start making the short hoods. We do get a lot of calls for them. I just installed a 67 style for a customer, and all I had was 1 1/2 hours total time for a perfect fit, that included priming and block sanding.

Thanks Rich, I wish I could wait but trying to get this car painted in the next 2 months so I'm a little under the gun.

just a small update to this... got another hood from Maier Racing, and the fit is PERFECT. it looks like it's going to require minimal prep on this hood before paint. THANKS Maier Racing !

Back