• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

EPAS Systems

Aussie67

Interested to know if anyone has installed an EPAS (electronic power steering) into an old Mustang?

I'm wondering if a Mazada system could be used?

If you have one, what did you choose, why that particular one and how does it perform?

All feedback appreciated.

Tony

I have a EPAS brand electronic power steering on my ‘65. Love it. It came with standard steering and I really did not want to add all the extra hoses and pulleys. I had a shop put it in as I got the tilt steering column as well. The shop initially was against it. They were a bunch of old classic car guys. When I picket it up the shop was converted. They were ready to put more in for more cars. It was funny the 180.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks spitse, is the brand of the one you have actually called "EPAS"?

Is the fitment concealed? everything tucked out of sight?

Tarafied put one into his '67. Did a great write up on the whole thing with lots of pics. Others have as well.

The issue I have with the set-ups is that most I've seen hang low and are clearly visible sticking out under the dash. Lots of newer cars have started putting the motor out on the rack which seems a much better way to go for fitment and to be less conspicuous. I think EPAS has one or is working on such too. The other thing is I am not aware of any aftermarket system that has speed modulation. You can install a potentiometer and manually adjust it but I'd prefer an actual system to control assist level based on speed like factory cars utilize.

I have a Borgeson power box in mine and it is great. I've dialed the pressure back so the assist level is really just enough to aid in very slow, parking type situations. Highly recommend it. That said, it does require the use of an accessory power steering pump so I lose a bit of power driving the pump and it's something else hanging on the front of the engine. I used a (dare I say it) GM Saginaw style pump so it fits in there tightly and doesn't take up much room. As much as I like this set-up I am going electric assist on the current project. It will cost more but I like the advantages it offers this time around.

Yes mine is a EPAS brand I purchased from CJ pony parts. I have on a ‘65. I haven’t really noticed it hanging down as much, but then again I was not looking for it. My ‘65 seams to have it up higher, maybe. The rats nest of old wire harness and years of radio wires and external gauges distract for sure. Lol. I think it has more to do with how the column goes through the firewall and angles up. I also have a tach on the column and the column angled down with the tilt more than if it was a solid one like OEM. BTW tilt is awesome and much safer than the stock Skewers in a direct front impact.

It does have a dial that I can adjust the strength of the motor, but going from not having anything to just just enough to work the parking lots and slow speeds is awesome. I dont really adjust it when driving. I still have full feel and reaction from the steering. The motor only react if you turn the wheel a specific amount that is really not a problem at speeds. It does not pull the wheel just helps like normal power steering, except you don’t have to have the engine running. And you still have a positive shaft through the EPAS motor so if you loose battery or power to the EPAS, you still have 100% control as if you only had a manual. Now there may be a difference because I have the manual steering system and not hydraulic. I don’t know enough to know what all is different between the two systems and impact of one over the other from the factory.

I have had a couple rzr utvs and they have both had electric power steering. I believe new mustangs for a few years are all electric as well. Electric cars have to have electric power steering so I believe the tech has come a long way in the last few years and more affordable.

I initially went this direction as I wanted power steering so I could enjoy driving the car more. It has a 351w so it is tight in some areas. Eventually I want to add AC and trying to fit that with a power steering pump and hoses looked to be a total mess with that engine. So I took the easy rout and I am with it. I’ll see if I can get some embarrassing pictures of the EPAS motor and rats nest when I have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm planning on the EPAS brand to install in my '67. It will have to wait until fall sometime though. I've read up on it and what Spitse states seems to nail it.

Electric steering seems the way to go when upgrading old classics for sure if one wants that assist over manual steering. It is certainly an upgrade over old stock power systems. I will be using some form of it on the '52 as I don't want to waste any ponies turning a pump.

My '14 GT had electric steering and you could set the driving mode to a few different settings which basically made the assist greater or less depending on mode. Even the best systems though do take away a bit of the driving "feel". For a daily driver or cruiser not a big deal. If you want to do any real sporty driving you would notice it and could affect your performance, I think. You lose some of the wheel sensation when really hitting a corner, for example. Been there and done that. ;)

Thanks guys, Sounds like its a worth while upgrade. As someone has already said I'm looking to avoid the hydraulics, as in my experience they always leak eventually.

I'll see if I can track one down over here, the exchange rate at the moment would make it around $3K if I get one from there.

Tarafied put one into his '67. Did a great write up on the whole thing with lots of pics. Others have as well.

The issue I have with the set-ups is that most I've seen hang low and are clearly visible sticking out under the dash. Lots of newer cars have started putting the motor out on the rack which seems a much better way to go for fitment and to be less conspicuous. I think EPAS has one or is working on such too. The other thing is I am not aware of any aftermarket system that has speed modulation. You can install a potentiometer and manually adjust it but I'd prefer an actual system to control assist level based on speed like factory cars utilize.

I have a Borgeson power box in mine and it is great. I've dialed the pressure back so the assist level is really just enough to aid in very slow, parking type situations. Highly recommend it. That said, it does require the use of an accessory power steering pump so I lose a bit of power driving the pump and it's something else hanging on the front of the engine. I used a (dare I say it) GM Saginaw style pump so it fits in there tightly and doesn't take up much room. As much as I like this set-up I am going electric assist on the current project. It will cost more but I like the advantages it offers this time around.

Terry, do you have a link to tarafieds write up?

All good, sorry didn't realize this topic was covered about a year ago.
I did a quick search and failed to find it. I'm guessing it was in response to another inquiry about e-steering. We've had a few in the past couple years. I'll try again later to find it or maybe Craig will pop in and see this and help. I'm sure he has a better idea of where it is.

I'm planning on the EPAS brand to install in my '67. It will have to wait until fall sometime though. I've read up on it and what Spitse states seems to nail it.

Mike, Chuck Wiltens put one in his '67 and really likes it. You might want to reach out to him for more details.

No that was PAT....
Bwahhahahaha!

714ed02f55de242ba7146e0b40ca6e6f.gif

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Back